141 replies to this topic

#1 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...y.html?ref=arts

There are lots of interesting tid bits in this Reuters article, including the fact that James Cameron is teaming up with the Mariinsky to do a live 3-D broadcast of Swan Lake on Valentine's Day.

I find this a bit confusing. As far as I can tell, the Mariinsky is not performing Swan Lake on Feb 14, so how could this be a live broadcast?

#2 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

You are right it is not listed on the website, so maybe it will be a recording like the recent Nutcracker. The article you provided also says the new theatre will not open until May. At first I thought maybe this will be performed in the new theatre, but apparently not. In fact, the opera Elektra is scheduled on the main stage on that date. So the reporter must have misunderstood. It must be pre-recorded.

#3 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...y.html?ref=arts

There are lots of interesting tid bits in this Reuters article, including the fact that James Cameron is teaming up with the Mariinsky to do a live 3-D broadcast of Swan Lake on Valentine's Day.

I find this a bit confusing. As far as I can tell, the Mariinsky is not performing Swan Lake on Feb 14, so how could this be a live broadcast?

December 20th is the date used in this Aussie ad (with video clip):
http://villagecinema...tcracker-3D.htm

We will be 'treated' to Alina Somova, and Vladimir Shkliarov.

#4 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

You are referring to the Nutcracker. Gergiev is talking about a Swan Lake that will be filmed.

#5 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

After experiencing Giselle in 3-D I will be saying no thank you to this.

#6 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

You are referring to the Nutcracker. Gergiev is talking about a Swan Lake that will be filmed.

SL was filmed in HD for DVD release not so long ago, starring Lopatkina and Korsuntsev. It's a bit odd that the same ballet would be filmed for commercial release so soon after the previous release. Nonetheless, they may be hoping to tap into the newer 3-D market and think that it's worth the investment. Also, I am guessing that the MT is itching to showcase a new Odette-Odile.

#7 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

Could Gergiev have made a mistake and identified the wrong ballet. Isn't Mariinsky doing Romeo & Juliet on Feb 14, 2013?

#8 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

You may be onto something, abatt. Wasn't there supposed to be a filming/broadcast of Lavrovsky's Romeo & Juliet last July, starring Vishneva and conducted by Gergiev, cancelled at the last minute (although on-stage performances went on, with Shirinkina or someone else as Juliet and with a lesser-known conductor).

#9 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

http://balletnews.co...iinsky-theatre/

Here's a link to the press release I found on the internet. It does say Swan Lake on Feb 14. It also says that there will be a filming of Vishneva in R&J on Feb 28 that will be broadcast at some later time. It also mentions a filming of Ratmansky's Cinderella in May 2013.

#10 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

I just saw the MT's February schedule and see that Vishneva/Schklyarov/Gergiev (the 'team' for the originally-announced R&J filming last summer) are now on for R&J on Feb 24 & 28....but only the opera Elektra (conducted by Gergiev) is happening on Feb 14. (Swan Lake is scheduled on Feb 6, 10 & 23...but no Gergiev announced, as usually happens when he conducts.)

http://www.mariinsky...ar=2013&month=2

So, even with this latest info & the press release, we don't really know for sure about a new SLake filming, do we? Maybe a previously-filmed performance -- the Lopatkina HD film -- has been remastered in 3D, similar to the recent re-mastering of TITANIC? Nothing new, except for applying 3-D to the existing HD film, in other words. So folks will dole-out $20 to see a film that may already be on their library shelves, except that it's now in 3-D?

This brings to mind the quote from circus showman PT Barnum: There's a sucker born every minute. At least die-hard ballet fans won't fall for that, if that's the case.

p.s. The press release is not official from the Mariinsky, as it came from a group of donors. Nonetheless, any & all clues are appreciated. :)

#11 Tiara

Tiara

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

Would love to see Novikova featured in this Swan Lake broadcast or, better still, a debut from Stepanova or Nikitina. It's time there were some new Odette-Odiles at the Mariinsky and Stepanova's Odette-Odile is long overdue.

#12 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

... It's time there were some new Odette-Odiles ....

Agree about Stepanova and others who've been waiting a while for O/O debuts. Did Vasnetsova ever debut as O/O? I know that she had been training the role(s) for a while but may have even been scheduled but not performed.

Alas, if there is to be a new 3D Swan Lake filmed, O/O will likely go to a member of Fateev's Unholy Triumvirate: Somova-Skorik-Kampa (the 3 ODD-alisques).

#13 Tiara

Tiara

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

... It's time there were some new Odette-Odiles ....

Agree about Stepanova and others who've been waiting a while for O/O debuts. Did Vasnetsova ever debut as O/O? I know that she had been training the role(s) for a while but may have even been scheduled but not performed.

Alas, if there is to be a new 3D Swan Lake filmed, O/O will likely go to a member of Fateev's Unholy Triumvirate: Somova-Skorik-Kampa.

Yes, Vasnetsova danced one full length Swan Lake in, I think, autumn 2009, and one Corsaire in early 2010, but apart from those she has really been woefully underused. As has already been said, she is an absolute beauty, both physically and facially and technically a wonderful ballerina. Her adagio work is superb and she also has outstanding arms - her beautiful arms as Clemence in Raymonda recently were a real reminder of what a great Odette she is and also she is such a great actress. Really her Phrygia was just heart rending, especially in her mourning over the dead body of Spartacus, and she was also a very moving Maria in Fountain of Bakhchisarai. I can't understand at all why she is still only a coryphee. It would certainly be wonderful if she could do the 3D Swan Lake, if it ever materializes, but with Fateyev's dreadful and unfair casting, this seems very unlikely.

#14 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Having seen Osmolkina dance O/O at Covent Garden, I really feel her uniquely soulful and deeply moving interpretation of the role should be available to eveyone but I fear Natalia's gloomy casting prediction will prove correct.

#15 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Having seen Osmolkina dance O/O at Covent Garden, I really feel her uniquely soulful and deeply moving interpretation of the role should be available to eveyone but I fear Natalia's gloomy casting prediction will prove correct.

I hate gloomy and would much prefer Osmolkina (or anyone but the 3 Odd-alisques). Hey, I see that Osmolkina has just been announced as Odette-Odile for one of the Swan Lakes at the MT,later this month...Lopatkina does the first & Osmolkina the 2nd. So maybe bright days are forthcoming?

More great news, in Moscow: Obraztsova debuts as Nikiya in Bayadere on the 30th, at the Bolshoi! She is also preparing to debut as the lead in Balanchine's Diamonds, later this winter (no date yet)...I'll also post this in the Obraztsova thread, if not already there. Woohoo!!!

http://www.evgeniaob...a.com/news.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):