33 replies to this topic

#31 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Best: (chronological order)
1. Watching Angel Corella take class (NYCC March).

2. Seeing Barcelona Ballet's Swan Lake in Detroit (Mar/Apr)

3. Finally receiving a donation/ and encouragement that actually helped my film. THANKS ALWAYS to pnj.

4. (Sort of related) - Getting my passport renewed (silly me thought it expired on my birthday, not the night before) last-minute, last-person able to do so, in Detroit so I could attend the Toronto HotDocs conference the day after Barcelona Ballet's last Detroit perf. ) VERY MANY THANKS TO ALL KIND U.S. GOVT OFFICIALS in DET for doing that., and the U.S. Custom's official at the bridge/tunnel who didin't run me over when I thought standing in middle of the road/entrance would get his attention fast. (And finally being able to talk to NHK execs about my film once I got to Toronto.)

5. AC's final ABT perf. (June 28th). Though also sad.

6. Meeting Barcelona Ballet's Gen.Mgr. on the one and ONLY night I could attend ABT's perf at NYCC (Oct.) And seeing Moor's Pavane again after nearly 20++ years.

7. Being able to watch YouTube of performances I miss(ed) at the library when my computer dies--which is often these days.

Worst:
1. (sort of related: Not noticing my passport had expired until the last minute.)

2. Not being able to physically work on my documentary film at all due to lack of funds. (ie. no shooting/editing. I was able to attend 2 film conferences and network/take notes.) Meanwhile 80hrs of beautiful HD footage just sits on my shelf.

3. Only having enough time/funds to see 2 ABT perfs, 2 NYCB perfs, 1 Boston Ballet in 2012. (What a comedown from previous years when I went to 4-6+ from each company, and a couple of times squeezed in the RDB, and RB.)

4. Having to listen to horrible pop music all day at work.

5. Waiting for the economy/job situation to improve, and governments/populaces to notice the arts deserve funding.

#32 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

The worst: The conspicuous absence of America ballet companies from HD broadcasts, PBS, Blu-Ray/DVD publications. There are 2 Jewels on BR/DVD from Mariinsky & POB but none from the originating co. Who published an all-Robbins BR/DVD? Not NYCB, but POB. Who published Balanchine's Mid Summer Night Dream? La Scala, not NYCB. When was the last time NYCB published a DVD? The last DVD from ABT hit the market was Swan Lake 8-9 years ago. If European companies can put Balanchine and Robbins ballets on DVD, why can't American? European companies subject to the same copy rights and their union rules are not any less demanding.

The one and only one HD broadcast from an American company I can remember was last year's Nutcracker from NYCB. And the most recent DVDs are SFB's Nut & Little Mermaid.

#33 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Who published Balanchine's Mid Summer Night Dream? La Scala, not NYCB.

Pacific Northwest Ballet, live from their tour to London, with a Trust-approved re-design by Martin Pakledinaz. I believe it was broadcast on TV in Great Britain, too.

#34 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

La Scala version (full length)

PNB (excerpt)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):