This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Natalia Makarova listed for tonight's Letterman show

Oh dear! Another late night. But it will be worth it to see Natasha - she is a charmer! Has anyone read Franklin Stevens' book 'Dance as Life'? Ms Makarova is featured prominently in it with her staging La Bayadere for ABT and his depiction of her is very vivid.

Oh dear! Another late night. But it will be worth it to see Natasha - she is a charmer! Has anyone read Franklin Stevens' book 'Dance as Life'? Ms Makarova is featured prominently in it with her staging La Bayadere for ABT and his depiction of her is very vivid.

I read it when it first came out, and then a couple of times since. I know that the Mazo book about NYCB got much more attention, but I did really appreciate this other view of that world.

Hi Sandik, thank you for your comment - is that book by Kay Mazzo, a principal dancer with NYCB? And do you know the name of the book? I just checked Amazon and cannot find it. Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I loved 'Dance as Life' and am shariong it with my Aunt, who lives in NYC and loves ballet - she's going to enjoy it very much, I think.

Hi Sandik, thank you for your comment - is that book by Kay Mazzo, a principal dancer with NYCB? And do you know the name of the book?

I'm not sure if "Dance as a Contact Sport," by Joseph Mazo, was the first book written from a "I was there" perspective, but it's certainly the most prominent one I know. To use the current term, he embedded himself with NYCB during the season just after Robbins made Dances at a Gathering -- it was an astonishing time in the history of the company, and the insights he gained with that kind of long-term research gave us an amazing look at that world.

Oh, well, I was way off, thinking the author was Kay Mazzo! I have heard of this book though not much, and never checked it out, but I will now. I love those kinds of books, which become instant history. Thanks for the tip, sandik, and Season's Greetings to you.

For a long time I've not been a Letterman fan, but I was pleased with this interview (she had the last slot before the song artist, and was given more time than they usually get.) Her hands looked SOOO cold, so I was glad that he gave her his jacket, but I thought it was a sweet, albeit short, interview, and she looked *gorgeous*. As my mom said, her face still looked so young--you can tell that there's so much power still within her.