This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

French and Saunders Dancing Academy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

The Vicar of Dibley with Dawn French and Darcey Bussell:

#3 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

There's more out there - Posted Image

#4 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

Oh thank you! I've never seen the third, and the first two seem to get funnier every time I watch them!

#5 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

I had only seen the second (the one from Vicar of Dibley). These are marvelous, and funny on several different levels. You don't have to know something about ballet, and feel affection for it, to find this funny.

When since the days of Nureyev's celebrity did U.S. television attempt something comparable concerning real (as opposed to comic-book) ballet? Other than the Muppets, I mean?

There's so much to think about in these videos. For example, from the first clip:

-- Am I insane, or is Dawn French's positioning of her head actually quite beautiful at times? (She's absorbed a bit of "La Sylphide," I think) Not to mention those assemblees performed WITHOUT LEAVING THE FLOOR. (Later on, Saunders critiques Bussell is critiqued for attempting air-borne sautes "I can't believe it, she's still leaving the ground.") Posted Image

-- Is the "good toes/ naughty toes" line actually used in ballet classes for children? The instruction to ... "Paint the ceiling"?

-- Have you ever seen someone think (as Saunders obviously does) that "marking" hand gestures are actually choreography?

-- Is Saunders right that Busssell is "too bendy and jumpy."

-- Have you ever been told in class to "start at the barre" and thought they were suggesting that you all go downstairs to the pub?

-- Saunders says, "I'm not happy with [Bussell's] demi-bras." What's demi-bras? Is that Cecchetti or something?

French says: "I mean, sometimes, I wish I COULD be ungainly. But unfortunately, that's not for me at all." What a great line.

#6 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

I think the third has more than one part - I only linked the first one I found. And there's another one I can't find yet where they both go to Royal Ballet company class :)

#7 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:02 AM

Aha!

#8 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

Complete (a piece was posted some time ago but this is the whole feature)

#9 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

Thank you! This is lovely! 

-d-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):