Millepied to Head Paris Opera Ballet(Updated thread title)

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Should Succeed Madame Lefevre? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Should Succeed Madame Lefevre?

1. Carolyn Carlson (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Frederic Flamand (0 votes [0.00%])

3. William Forsythe (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Sylvie Guillem (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Laurent Hilaire (6 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

6. Nicolas Le Riche (2 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

7. Manuel Legris (23 votes [65.71%])

Percentage of vote: 65.71%

8. Wayne MacGregor (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Benjamin Millepied (2 votes [5.71%])

10. Alexei Ratmansky (2 votes [5.71%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

I think Guillem would make interesting programing and casting choices. She has also spoken repeatedly of the importance of rehearsal/performance scheduling in preventing injuries. Changing that could make a big difference at POB. But she doesn't have any kind of administration experience that I know of. And I agree it would seem against her nature to go into administration, especially going back to a big hierarchical company like POB.

My impression has always been that one of the reasons Legris took the Vienna job was to prove himself as a director for POB.

I think both Legris and Hilaire are very well respected amongst the dancers.

#32 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

Although I did not vote for him as he is firmly settled at ABT in New York, I think Ratmansky would be an marvelous choice. He has been director at the Bolshoi and produced some exquistic choreography and re-created the classics. His productions far exceed the examples that Nureyev mounted for the POB. Just look up his recent Le Corsaire at the Bolshoi, it is on YouTube. A far superior creation, using the authentic versions from the past, which sorry to say, make Nureyev's endeavors look fussy, messy and are a nightmare for the dancers to perform. .

#33 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Oh, please don't take Ratmansky away from ABT. Some of us are hoping that he is in line to succeed the current AD, and that Ratmansky will promote those "flagship soloists" who have long deserved to be promoted. Only it better happen soon or it will be too late.

#34 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Although I think Ratmansky is a fascinating choreographer, that isn't necessarily the biggest part of the job description. I don't follow along with all the ins and outs of the Opera, and so cannot speak specifically, but I was wondering if anyone who watched the video featuring 4 young dancers from the company (linked elsewhere where) which was co-hosted by Hilaire felt that he came off in a better light in terms of this position.

#35 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Apart from Ratmansky's lack of institutional ties to POB, he already ran the Bolshoi Ballet, with all of its politics and management challenges. Hasn't he suffered enough for one lifetime?

#36 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

The name is to be revealed at a press conference tomorrow morning

#37 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Could be an interesting announcement, if the Figaro article is anything to go by. Hopefully common sense prevails. I'm not sure creating 3 ballets for a company necessarily makes one very familiar with it.
http://www.lefigaro....r-du-ballet.php

#38 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

Could be an interesting announcement, if the Figaro article is anything to go by. Hopefully common sense prevails. I'm not sure creating 3 ballets for a company necessarily makes one very familiar with it.
http://www.lefigaro....r-du-ballet.php

astounding that in the space of two sentences the author of this article can say "[Millepied] would make an excellent artistic director.... He has no experience directing a large company..."

!!!

#39 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

A classicist, please...Legris or Hilaire.

#40 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Choosing Milepied might upset Hilaire and Legris equally and avoid chosing between them.

#41 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

I certainly hope it is NOT Ratmansky! He is too valuable to the dance world as a choreographer to divert a large chunk of his time and energy to administration.

#42 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I certainly hope it is NOT Ratmansky! He is too valuable to the dance world as a choreographer to divert a large chunk of his time and energy to administration.

Totally! Besides, I'm counting on him to advocate for Stella's promotion at ABT.

#43 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Choosing Milepied might upset Hilaire and Legris equally and avoid chosing between them.

I was just thinking that choosing an outsider can help avoid the factional aspects of choosing an insider...

#44 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Yes, but it would also be an incredibly poor decision! I hope they do not do this; the POB deserves someone else who can help fix things Posted Image

#45 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Yes, but it would also be an incredibly poor decision! I hope they do not do this; the POB deserves someone else who can help fix things Posted Image

I seriously doubt that they would choose Millepied -- his pathway seems pretty clearly set in Los Angeles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):