This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Millepied to Head Paris Opera Ballet

Who Should Succeed Madame Lefevre?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Succeed Madame Lefevre?

• Carolyn Carlson
    • Frederic Flamand
    • William Forsythe
    • Sylvie Guillem
    • Laurent Hilaire
    • Nicolas Le Riche
    • Manuel Legris
    • Wayne MacGregor
    • Benjamin Millepied
    • Alexei Ratmansky

I'm surprised no one has chosen Guillem...

I voted for Guillem, but withdrew my vote because no one else had voted for her. I figured that maybe others knew something that I didn't know that would disqualify her. Although I love Paris Opera Ballet, I don't have enough inside information to choose Madame's successor.

I don't think there's a shortage of classical dancers at POB; however, sometimes a number of them are dancing the contemporary works.

Do people think that Legris has the upper leg because of his administrative experience in Vienna?

I do. It greatly enhances his already fine reputation in European dance circles. I think he has great influence over other dancers, as well.

I voted for Guillem, but withdrew my vote because no one else had voted for her. I figured that maybe others knew something that I didn't know that would disqualify her. Although I love Paris Opera Ballet, I don't have enough inside information to choose Madame's successor.

No shame in voting for who you like - Guillem is an admirable artist. I'm not sure she would want anything to do with running a huge organization like the POB though, and dealing with its bureaucracy. Would be pretty ironic for Guillem (who bailed out early on the POB) to return to run the entire operation. Seems to go against her character, and personal interests as an artist.

I think Guillem would make interesting programing and casting choices. She has also spoken repeatedly of the importance of rehearsal/performance scheduling in preventing injuries. Changing that could make a big difference at POB. But she doesn't have any kind of administration experience that I know of. And I agree it would seem against her nature to go into administration, especially going back to a big hierarchical company like POB.

My impression has always been that one of the reasons Legris took the Vienna job was to prove himself as a director for POB.

I think both Legris and Hilaire are very well respected amongst the dancers.

Although I did not vote for him as he is firmly settled at ABT in New York, I think Ratmansky would be an marvelous choice. He has been director at the Bolshoi and produced some exquistic choreography and re-created the classics. His productions far exceed the examples that Nureyev mounted for the POB. Just look up his recent Le Corsaire at the Bolshoi, it is on YouTube. A far superior creation, using the authentic versions from the past, which sorry to say, make Nureyev's endeavors look fussy, messy and are a nightmare for the dancers to perform. .

Oh, please don't take Ratmansky away from ABT. Some of us are hoping that he is in line to succeed the current AD, and that Ratmansky will promote those "flagship soloists" who have long deserved to be promoted. Only it better happen soon or it will be too late.

Although I think Ratmansky is a fascinating choreographer, that isn't necessarily the biggest part of the job description. I don't follow along with all the ins and outs of the Opera, and so cannot speak specifically, but I was wondering if anyone who watched the video featuring 4 young dancers from the company (linked elsewhere where) which was co-hosted by Hilaire felt that he came off in a better light in terms of this position.

Could be an interesting announcement, if the Figaro article is anything to go by. Hopefully common sense prevails. I'm not sure creating 3 ballets for a company necessarily makes one very familiar with it.

http://www.lefigaro....r-du-ballet.php

astounding that in the space of two sentences the author of this article can say "[Millepied] would make an excellent artistic director.... He has no experience directing a large company..."

!!!

Choosing Milepied might upset Hilaire and Legris equally and avoid chosing between them.

Yes, but it would also be an incredibly poor decision! I hope they do not do this; the POB deserves someone else who can help fix things icon8.gif

I seriously doubt that they would choose Millepied -- his pathway seems pretty clearly set in Los Angeles.

Choosing Milepied might upset Hilaire and Legris equally and avoid chosing between them.

Yes, but it would also be an incredibly poor decision! I hope they do not do this; the POB deserves someone else who can help fix things icon8.gif

I seriously doubt that they would choose Millepied -- his pathway seems pretty clearly set in Los Angeles.

I don't want him here either!!!

They are also civil servants, with long-term contracts that run until their mandatory retirement, with pension, at 42. And with the notable exception of Ms. Lefèvre, directors tend to drop like flies at the Paris Opera. Even Rudolf Nureyev lasted only six stormy, if productive, years in the 1980s, while directors like John Taras and Violette Verdy managed just a few seasons.

Didn't Nureyev step down due to ill health? And how many years was Lifar in charge?

35 seems young to be directing a company but I've noticed directors are getting younger and younger, perhaps before long they will simply recruit from the school.

[MOD BEANIE ON:

I've just changed the thread title to reflect this new- -- and astonishing -- news. I'll leave it to others to decided whether we need a new thread. In the meantime: PLEASE CONTINUE TO POST YOUR THOUGHTS HERE.

MOD BEANIE OFF]

My first response when I read the NY Times article: Well, he DOES speak French! Haven't been able to move beyond this for a while. blink.png