This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Youth America Grand Prix presents Ballet's Greatest Hits!

Apparently, this will also be filmed for showing in movie theaters later in the year.

Birdsall

Sat., Jan. 5

8pm

Tampa, FL

Youth America Grand Prix presents Ballet's Greatest Hits!

Youth America Grand Prix returns to Tampa to relive the most breathtaking ballet performances of our time! Ballet’s Greatest Hits! features star dancers from Joffrey Ballet, New York City Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, San Francisco Ballet, National Ballet of Canada, Pacific Northwest Ballet and Mariinsky Ballet. For the first time ever, the gala performance will be broadcast in theaters nationally by Emerging Pictures. Don’t miss this unique chance to see the world’s top professional dance artists take the stage in one spectacular gala evening. “The Gala of Gala's!" raves Emma Manning, Dance Europe Magazine.

All performances by principal dancers, including:

Ekaterina Kondaurova, Mariinsky Ballet

Daniel Ulbricht, New York City Ballet

Ashley Bouder, New York City Ballet

Maria Kochetkova, San Francisco Ballet

Fabrice Calmels, Joffrey Ballet

Marcelo Gomes, American Ballet Theatre

Alicia Graf Mack, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater

Antonio Douthit, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater

Carla Körbes, Pacific Northwest Ballet

Greta Hodgkinson, National Ballet of Canada

Veronika Part, American Ballet Theatre

Skylar Brandt, American Ballet Theatre

Taras Domitrio, San Francisco Ballet

David Hallberg, American Ballet Theatre

Guillaume Cote, National Ballet of Canada

They are trying to raise money via Kickstarter to finish the film and distribute to movie theaters:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1256251772/yagps-greatest-hits-of-ballet-gala

But the incentives don't include a copy of the film, which is disappointing.

Note under the $10,000 pledge that another YAGP gala is scheduled for New York on April 18, 2013.

They are trying to raise money via Kickstarter to finish the film and distribute to movie theaters:

http://www.kickstart...-of-ballet-gala

Thanks for this clarification, California. So the the claim in the top post (Birdsall was just the messenger!) is false? Why would Emerging Picture claim to broadcast the gala, via these words in the press release, if they now want to raise money to film the gala? -

.... For the first time ever, the gala performance will be broadcast in theaters nationally by Emerging Pictures.....

So is the broadcast cancelled if money is not raised? Why contribute 'Kickstart' money if I can see it in a cinema in January?

So is the broadcast cancelled if money is not raised? Why contribute 'Kickstart' money if I can see it in a cinema in January?

The YAGP announcement is a little confusing. Are they planning to livestream the day of the event AND do a movie for later release, or just the latter? Not sure.

I contributed to the Marcelo Gomes documentary (as I believe others here did). They collect the money with a hold via Amazon's credit card system, but they don't put it through until the project reaches its goal. If they had fallen short, the hold is released and you're not charged. The documentary has some very nice incentives, including a download of the actual documentary above a certain level. That was attractive to people outside New York who couldn't get to screenings and premieres, the main incentives for the YAGP project.

I'd love to get a download (or DVD) of the YAGP event with that line-up of stars, but they don't seem to be planning that.

Confusing indeed, california! Either its happening (as the original press release claims) or it is not.

Money is scarce. I do not think that folks wish to 'kickstart' the production of a DVD of an event for which they can pay $15 and see a live broadcast (or soon after) in a movie theater.

I'm also wondering if folks contributing to the project will share in potential profits once the YAGP administrators distribute the film around the world? Aren't these the same folks who produced the First Position film, which (to me) was so contrived?

The film is 35K away from happening unless they figure out a way to raise the money. If they don't, there will be no $15-20 showing in cinemas that a limited number of people have access to.

Not everyone can arrange to be at a live showing or limited run. Ballet in Cinema isn't shown everywhere, and even where it is shown, we don't always get all of them. Having a digital download as a benefit might give people incentive to pledge more than the approximately 9K the project has with 8 days to go, especially a project that's seen as an ongoing commercial venture.

If it happens, and a DVD is released, I'd likely buy it, but I'm not tempted to donate without a digital download as a benefit. Digital downloads have enticed me to up a category in the past.

Money is scarce. I do not think that folks wish to 'kickstart' the production of a DVD of an event for which they can pay $15 and see a live broadcast (or soon after) in a movie theater.

Where are you seeing your simulcasts -- they are at least $20 here! But more to the point of access, these live and encore broadcasts only reach a certain percentage of the community. I live in Seattle, and we have a couple of theaters that do show some of these programs, but certainly not all of them -- I would have to drive 3 hours north of here to see Pharaoh's Daughter.

I'm also wondering if folks contributing to the project will share in potential profits once the YAGP administrators distribute the film around the world? Aren't these the same folks who produced the First Position film, which (to me) was so contrived?

I seriously doubt there will be any profits from this project. I would be very surprised (although pleased) if the First Position film has made back its costs yet.

The YAGP filim is being produced by the same organization that presents the Live in HD broadcasts of the Mariinsky Ballet and Royal Ballet. "First Position" was Beth Kargman's project.

Kickstarter and Indiegogo are exactly as described: They provide an opportunity for people to pitch their projects online, where people give non-tax-deductible contributions to a project that interests them for the option of rewards that are set out explicitly for each giving level, and they provide integration with payment processing, if the project is funded. They are not IPO or venture capital -- ie investor -- programs. It's by no means anyone's obligation to support projects.

Essentially, the casting now looks live an offshoot combo of ABT and NYCB, with a few others thrown in for good measure. Glad to see that Stella Abrera is included. She never seems to perform at these special events. This is the second time that Korbes has been advertised for an event but ends up as a no show. (The other was the performances at the Joyce of Ballet Next, where Korbes name was prominently listed as a featured artist, but never appeared during the entire engagement. I'm sure that was Ballet Next's fault, not Korbes.)

Here is the rundown of what happened last night in Tampa:

First Half:

A few winners of the Youth America Grand Prix 2013 Tampa, FL Semi-Final Competition performed (I can't remember names or most of the pieces although there were variations from Coppelia and DQ (Kitri). The program did not list the names or items of this segment. I think there may have been about 6 pieces performed. They announced them, but it is impossible to remember their names. It is strange they did not include these performers in the program. After that, the "stars" performed:

La Bayadere excerpts:

Gamzatti: Isabella Boylston

Solor: Matthew Golding

Bronze Idol: Joseph Phillips

Nutcracker Pas de Deux

Sugar Plum Fairy: Hee Seo

Prince: Alejandro Virelles

Light as Air (choreography by Kirven J. Boyd/music Rene Aubry)

performed by Alicia Graf Mack

Flames of Paris PDD

performed by Ashley Bouder and Daniel Ulbricht

2nd Half:

Excerpts from Giselle

Giselle: Greta Hodgkinson

Albrecht: Matthew Golding

Myrtha: Stella Abrera

Piazzolla Tango

performed by Daneil Ulbricht

Swan Lake (White Swan PDD)

Odette: Veronika Part

Siegfried: Marcelo Gomes

Pas de Duke (Alvin Ailey)

performed by Alicia Graf Mack and Antonio Douthit

Don Quixote PDD

Kitri: Maria Kochetkova

Basilio: Taras Domitro

Bridesmaids: Skylar Brandt and Emily Kadow

Standouts of the night were Daniel Ulbricht, Veronika Part, Marcelo Gomes, and Maria Kochetkova. I was surprised that Kochetkova showed up since she danced Giselle in St. Petersburg on Jan. 3, danced in Tampa last night, and will dance Masha on Jan. 8 in St. Petersburg!

Another surprise for me personally was the Pas de Duke by Alvin Ailey (music by Duke Ellington). Normally I do not like "modern" dance as much, but this worked for me. I had only seen the Alvin Ailey dancers once before in Revelations and a couple of other pieces when they toured. I knew Alvin Ailey dancers are definitely ballet based dancers, but when I saw Pas de Duke on the program, I thought, "Well, that will not hold my interest," but it did. The Pas de Duke was choreographed as an actual PDD with coda, etc. Some of you might know it. I did not. The dancing was ballet with a very jazzy and fun sassy element to it. What I enjoyed was seeing these two dancers (Alicia Graf Mack and Antonio Douthit) have such fluid upper bodies. This is something I love about Mariinsky dancers, and it was fun to see a similar element (although still very different) in Alvin Ailey dancers. Somehow fluid upper bodies make dancing so much more beautiful for me personally. So I think I will try to catch the Alvin Ailey dancers as often as I can judging from this Pas de Duke. Lovely.

When I saw Hee Seo as Gamzatti at ABT I was not impressed and she had ended her Italian fouettes or maybe some other turn with her back to the audience. But last night either she has vastly improved or my taste has changed, and I thought she was lovely. She also has more fluid arms than many ballerinas outside of the Mariinsky.

Daniel Ulbricht is truly amazing, and I think he really should be a much bigger star than he is. Every time I have seen him I am totally amazed. He could probably give Ivan Vasiliev a run for his money! Luckily, he is from St. Petersburg, FL, so I have had several chances to see him in Florida, because he must still have family and friends down here.

Gomes and Part were gorgeous together. Part was taller than he was on pointe but he had no problem with the lifts. They are both class acts. To me they are both very elegant, classical dancers.

Kochetkova was lovely in the DQ pas de deux. She enjoyed herself and even though she is no spitfire Kitri like Osipova, she does it in her own way and it is very lovely. Her balances and turns were great! This is only my second experience seeing her live (saw her do a Romeo and Juliet balcony scene last year). She is a lovely dancer. Taras Domitro partnered her wonderfully and showed off excellent acrobatics in his variation.

Sorry so short. I did not sleep much last night and just returned home. I just mentioned the highlights (what were the best parts for me). All the dancers were great, but the ones I mentioned stood out for me as a bit better than the ones I did not mention.

By the way, met a fellow Ballet Alert member and we both went to the Meet and Greet afterward and saw Marcelo Gomes and Matthew Golding (maybe the other dancers were there also, but those two are the only ones we noticed b/c it was a big dinner party). For the women (and some men like me) Gomes is gorgeous in street clothes too! Movie star looks!!! Life is so unfair! Sigh.

I saw this camera on a big moving lever type arm constantly going toward the stage and back, so it does look like they indeed videotaped it to show in movies later, and the moderator announced it also, so it looks like it is definitely happening. Even though I enjoyed the show very much, I am not sure it is one that needed to be videotaped for posterity, but I think the moderator said the movie theater version will be mixed with historical footage or something to compare historical dancers with today's and to talk about the Youth America Grand Prix, I suspect.

Thanks for your report, Birdsall. What did you think of the Bouder-Ulbricht pairing in Flames of Paris? (I'm always curious when NYCB dancers venture outside their usual repertoire.)

They both have similar body types, so they matched each other visually. I think he is jaw dropping good, so he really brought the house down. The audience liked her too, but my feeling was that the audience (like me) were more impressed by him.

I am not as familiar with the Flames of Paris (although I do have the Bolshoi dvd of it), so I am not the best judge of how well they actually danced the pas de deux, but it looked just fine to me!

Birdsall, thanks for the update. Alicia Graf is amazing. I believe Pas De Duke was originally made for Judith Jamison and Baryshnikov. It has not been revived in recent seasons in NYC, so I'm hoping they do it in New York next season. The Ailey rep can be a very mixed bag of the mediocre and the wonderful, so you do need to pick your programs carefully. I'm glad you were able to see Part and Gomes in SL. I don't think we will ever see them together in that ballet again here in NYC. Part is doomed to be Stearns' partner until Ms. Kent decides to stop dancing SL.

Birdsall, thank you so much for that information and window into the event. Did you have any thoughts about Stella Abrera? Now that Veronika Part is finally getting the acclaim she deserves, Stella is my most favorite dancer-in-waiting, so to speak.

Birdsall, thank you so much for that information and window into the event. Did you have any thoughts about Stella Abrera? Now that Veronika Part is finally getting the acclaim she deserves, Stella is my most favorite dancer-in-waiting, so to speak.

I think she did a fine job as Myrtha. She was stern, and she also danced very well. Her upper body was nice too.

Btw, the show will be in movie theaters on March 31 and April 2....but the host seemed to imply it will include historical and documentary footage interwoven into the whole thing, so the show that ends up in the movies will be slightly different.....not sure if it will contain all of the show I saw or what is going on. The program is as vague about it as the host was! LOL

Birdsall, thanks for the update. Alicia Graf is amazing. I believe Pas De Duke was originally made for Judith Jamison and Baryshnikov. It has not been revived in recent seasons in NYC, so I'm hoping they do it in New York next season. The Ailey rep can be a very mixed bag of the mediocre and the wonderful, so you do need to pick your programs carefully. I'm glad you were able to see Part and Gomes in SL. I don't think we will ever see them together in that ballet again here in NYC. Part is doomed to be Stearns' partner until Ms. Kent decides to stop dancing SL.

I think the host did announce the Pas de Duke as being made for Jamison and Baryshnikov as you said.

Daniel Ulbricht is truly amazing, and I think he really should be a much bigger star than he is. Every time I have seen him I am totally amazed. He could probably give Ivan Vasiliev a run for his money! Luckily, he is from St. Petersburg, FL, so I have had several chances to see him in Florida, because he must still have family and friends down here.

I agree about Ulbricht. Living in NYC I have seen him in many things. It's not only his huge jump and other technical feats but his focus and presentation. He is a great dancer. Unfortunately the NYTimes critic, Alistair Macauley has been IMO stingy in his praise of Ulbricht. I've always suspected it to be a body type thing. Maybe Macauley's assessment will change in time.