This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Youth America Grand Prix presents Ballet's Greatest Hits!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Apparently, this will also be filmed for showing in movie theaters later in the year.
Birdsall

Sat., Jan. 5
8pm
Tampa, FL

Youth America Grand Prix presents Ballet's Greatest Hits!

[size=4][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Youth America Grand Prix returns to Tampa to relive the most breathtaking ballet performances of our time! Ballet’s Greatest Hits! features star dancers from Joffrey Ballet, New York City Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, San Francisco Ballet, National Ballet of Canada, Pacific Northwest Ballet and Mariinsky Ballet. For the first time ever, the gala performance will be broadcast in theaters nationally by Emerging Pictures. Don’t miss this unique chance to see the world’s top professional dance artists take the stage in one spectacular gala evening. “The Gala of Gala's!" raves Emma Manning, Dance Europe Magazine.

All performances by principal dancers, including:
Ekaterina Kondaurova, Mariinsky Ballet
Daniel Ulbricht, New York City Ballet
Ashley Bouder, New York City Ballet
Maria Kochetkova, San Francisco Ballet
Fabrice Calmels, Joffrey Ballet
Marcelo Gomes, American Ballet Theatre
Alicia Graf Mack, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
Antonio Douthit, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
Carla Körbes, Pacific Northwest Ballet
Greta Hodgkinson, National Ballet of Canada
Veronika Part, American Ballet Theatre
Skylar Brandt, American Ballet Theatre
Taras Domitrio, San Francisco Ballet
David Hallberg, American Ballet Theatre
Guillaume Cote, National Ballet of Canada[/font]
[/size]

#2 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

I'm going! Posted Image

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

What a glorious line-up of dancers!

#4 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

They are trying to raise money via Kickstarter to finish the film and distribute to movie theaters:

http://www.kickstart...-of-ballet-gala

But the incentives don't include a copy of the film, which is disappointing.

Note under the $10,000 pledge that another YAGP gala is scheduled for New York on April 18, 2013.

#5 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Funny how some choreography never gets old while other choreography does so surprisingly quickly. Eventually it takes a phenomenal dancer to bring it back to life.

#6 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

They are trying to raise money via Kickstarter to finish the film and distribute to movie theaters:

http://www.kickstart...-of-ballet-gala

Thanks for this clarification, California. So the the claim in the top post (Birdsall was just the messenger!) is false? Why would Emerging Picture claim to broadcast the gala, via these words in the press release, if they now want to raise money to film the gala? -

[size=4][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].... For the first time ever, the gala performance will be broadcast in theaters nationally by Emerging Pictures.....[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So is the broadcast cancelled if money is not raised? Why contribute 'Kickstart' money if I can see it in a cinema in January?[/font][/size]

#7 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

[size=4][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So is the broadcast cancelled if money is not raised? Why contribute 'Kickstart' money if I can see it in a cinema in January?[/font][/size]

The YAGP announcement is a little confusing. Are they planning to livestream the day of the event AND do a movie for later release, or just the latter? Not sure.

I contributed to the Marcelo Gomes documentary (as I believe others here did). They collect the money with a hold via Amazon's credit card system, but they don't put it through until the project reaches its goal. If they had fallen short, the hold is released and you're not charged. The documentary has some very nice incentives, including a download of the actual documentary above a certain level. That was attractive to people outside New York who couldn't get to screenings and premieres, the main incentives for the YAGP project.

I'd love to get a download (or DVD) of the YAGP event with that line-up of stars, but they don't seem to be planning that.

#8 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

Confusing indeed, california! Either its happening (as the original press release claims) or it is not.

Money is scarce. I do not think that folks wish to 'kickstart' the production of a DVD of an event for which they can pay $15 and see a live broadcast (or soon after) in a movie theater.

I'm also wondering if folks contributing to the project will share in potential profits once the YAGP administrators distribute the film around the world? Aren't these the same folks who produced the First Position film, which (to me) was so contrived?

#9 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

The film is 35K away from happening unless they figure out a way to raise the money. If they don't, there will be no $15-20 showing in cinemas that a limited number of people have access to.

Not everyone can arrange to be at a live showing or limited run. Ballet in Cinema isn't shown everywhere, and even where it is shown, we don't always get all of them. Having a digital download as a benefit might give people incentive to pledge more than the approximately 9K the project has with 8 days to go, especially a project that's seen as an ongoing commercial venture.

If it happens, and a DVD is released, I'd likely buy it, but I'm not tempted to donate without a digital download as a benefit. Digital downloads have enticed me to up a category in the past.

#10 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Money is scarce. I do not think that folks wish to 'kickstart' the production of a DVD of an event for which they can pay $15 and see a live broadcast (or soon after) in a movie theater.

Where are you seeing your simulcasts -- they are at least $20 here! But more to the point of access, these live and encore broadcasts only reach a certain percentage of the community. I live in Seattle, and we have a couple of theaters that do show some of these programs, but certainly not all of them -- I would have to drive 3 hours north of here to see Pharaoh's Daughter.

I'm also wondering if folks contributing to the project will share in potential profits once the YAGP administrators distribute the film around the world? Aren't these the same folks who produced the First Position film, which (to me) was so contrived?

I seriously doubt there will be any profits from this project. I would be very surprised (although pleased) if the First Position film has made back its costs yet.

#11 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

The YAGP filim is being produced by the same organization that presents the Live in HD broadcasts of the Mariinsky Ballet and Royal Ballet. "First Position" was Beth Kargman's project.

Kickstarter and Indiegogo are exactly as described: They provide an opportunity for people to pitch their projects online, where people give non-tax-deductible contributions to a project that interests them for the option of rewards that are set out explicitly for each giving level, and they provide integration with payment processing, if the project is funded. They are not IPO or venture capital -- ie investor -- programs. It's by no means anyone's obligation to support projects.

#12 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

There have been some cast changes for this gala. http://www.yagp.org/...s/?page_id=2837 No Hallberg, no Korbes, no Kondaurova. See link for current casting info.

#13 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

There have been some cast changes for this gala. http://www.yagp.org/...s/?page_id=2837 No Hallberg, no Korbes, no Kondaurova. See link for current casting info.

Done with the trip. No Koundarova, no trip.

#14 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Essentially, the casting now looks live an offshoot combo of ABT and NYCB, with a few others thrown in for good measure. Glad to see that Stella Abrera is included. She never seems to perform at these special events. This is the second time that Korbes has been advertised for an event but ends up as a no show. (The other was the performances at the Joyce of Ballet Next, where Korbes name was prominently listed as a featured artist, but never appeared during the entire engagement. I'm sure that was Ballet Next's fault, not Korbes.)

#15 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Abatt, thanks for the update! I am disappointed no Kondaurova, but I will still go. I lived in Tampa for 13 years and have a few friends expecting to see me. Ulbricht, Gomes, and others are still great to see!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):