This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Matthew Bourne's "The Sleeping Beauty"

Mathew Bourne's New Adventures has announced tour dates for the USA:

USA TOUR 2013

FRIDAY 27 & SATURDAY 28 SEPTEMBER 2013

DES MOINES, DES MOINES PERFORMING ARTS, CIVIC CENTER

PUBLIC ON SALE SOON

Box Office: (515) 246-2322 | www.DesMoinesPerformingArts.org

TUESDAY 1 - SUNDAY 13 OCTOBER

CLEVELAND, PLAYHOUSESQUARE

PUBLIC ON SALE SOON

Box Office: 216-640-8800 |www.PlayhouseSquare.org/broadway

TUESDAY 15 - SUNDAY 20 OCTOBER 2013

SCHENECTADY, PROCTORS

PUBLIC ON SALE SOON

Box Office: 518-346-6204 |www.proctors.org

WEDNESDAY 23 OCTOBER - SUNDAY 3 NOVEMBER

NEW YORK, CITY CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS

ON SALE NOW

Box Office: CityTix® at 212-581-1212|www.NYCityCenter.org

TUESDAY 5 - SUNDAY 10 NOVEMBER

CHARLOTTE, NC, BLUMENTHAL PERFORMING ARTS, Belk Theater

PUBLIC ON SALE SOON

Box Office: 704-335-1010 |www. BlumenthalArts.org/Broadway

TUESDAY 12 - SUNDAY 17 NOVEMBER

WASHINGTON DC, KENNEDY CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS

ON SALE 7 AUGUST 2013

Box Office: 800-444-1324 |www.kennedy-center.org

THURSDAY 21 NOVEMBER - SUNDAY 1 DECEMBER

LOS ANGELES, AHMANSON THEATRE

PUBLIC ON SALE SOON

Box Office: 213-972-4444, Groups: 213-972-7231www.centertheatregroup.org

http://www.new-adventures.net/latest_news/usa_tour_announced_sleeping_beauty_to_play_new_york_los_angeles_washington_dc_des_moines_cleveland_charlotte_and_schenectady

Thanks so much for this update -- I'm still trying to think how I can get down to LA to see this, but you'd think that if they're coming all the way to the west coast, they could swing up to Seattle or Portland or Vancouver. There must be a presenter up here somewhere that would want to participate...

It's been a while since anyone mentioned this production, but I saw it at Sadler's Wells on New Year's Eve this year (the same day it was announced that Matthew Bourne was being knighted). I loved the first half but hated most of the second. I thought Bourne's musical interpretation was beautiful and original - drawing out the Wagnerian sexual longing in Tchaikovsky's score and doing playful things with the social dances. But I didn't like the second act focus on the hero's need to rescue his love from the evil vampire. It really removed any agency that Aurora has (and she has quite a lot in the Petipa version). I was very disappointed because I thought there were so many excellent places the ballet could have gone. I wish Bourne would consider revising the last act, but I suppose as it's very successful he probably won't. The audience was in raptures.

Anyways, my complete review is here: http://itinerantballetomane.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/the-unfortunate-vampire-bride-matthew.html

I've only seen this on video, which may make a difference in the points you raise. I felt that the addition of the vampire plot did nudge Bourne into some new places with the narrative (not the least of which is giving the "prince" something to do besides mope and follow the Lilac Fairy's directions) but I don't really see it as a transfer of agency from Aurora.

Nonetheless, I agree with your response to the first half -- Bourne's musicality was really highlighted there. Glad to know that this work is continuing to be performed. I don't see his choreography very often (Seattle) but I'm always happy when I do.