This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Alexei RatmanskyWall Street Journal Magazine - December 2012

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

FYI

The December 2012 issue of the Wall Street Journal Magazine carries a short feature/interview (pp. 47-48) with Alexei Ratmansky. The money quote:

"I would say that City Ballet dancers shape my steps; and at ABT, my steps shape my dancers. I'm not saying one thing is better than the other."

#2 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

It seems clear which approach Ratmansky likely prefers. If what he says is accurate, wouldn't this be a result of training differences between the two companies? NYCB recruits mainly from its own School; ABT draws from many schools. Is there something about the ABT model that would make its dancers more malleable, more able and/or willing to be formed and changed by a dance-maker?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):