• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Thanks - I missed the Don Q, which he also did in Barcelona.

I'd be really surprised if he's one of the TBAs for Swan Lake. Earlier speculation was that Osipova would appear at the Sat mat. Gomes has partnered her (at Mikhailovsky) and Murphy in that role, so it seems likely he'd get one of those. (I hope so, having seen the Murphy-Gomes Swan last June, which was fabulous.) It would be quite a shock if Simkin ended up in one of those TBAs, especially as he already has a Swan.

I don't remember seeing him in the Ratmansky Firebird at the Met, at least not in a prominent role (although he did the drag role in Bright Stream). Perhaps Ratmansky has a better sense of his possibilities at this point in his career than others. Then again, perhaps he'll be featured in one of the other two installments of the new Ratmansky pieces to be premiered at the Met next spring.

#17 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

I don't think Simkin was wonderful in Don Quixote, as he still could not handle the fish dive in the Grand pas de deux of Don Quixote, I haven't seen any Basilo that could not take his hands from Kitri at the fish dive. I have seen him in a full Don Quixote 3 times and many more in a gala (the latest this summer) but no, his partnering has not improved.

Well he is very good in solos though. I went to his gala Intensio in Tokyo but I had the impression he hasn't much proceeded in artistry, although he has the pyro-techniques and the charm.

#18 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

I can't disagree that Simkin's partnering is sometimes weak. However, Cory Stearns is also a weak partner (but has improved somewhat over time), but Stearns has none of the technical mastery that Simkin has. I also recall that David Hallberg, when he was transitioning from soloist to principal, was a mediocre partner, but improved over time.

#19 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

I can't disagree that Simkin's partnering is sometimes weak.

The baffling nature of this promotion isn't just because of Simkin's weak partnering. He's also:

1) short in a company with two other short male principals (Cornejo, Vasiliev) who the company labors to find appropriate vehicles for,
2) frail and androgynous-looking (which limits his casting),
3) weak as an actor, and
4) not overly prominent in the works of the house choreographer (Ratmansky).

So, what precisely are they going to do with him as a principal? I suppose ABT could resurrect some of Baryshnikov's mid-70s repertory (Push Comes to Shove, Pas de Duke) for him and see if that is the way forward.

The competition/gala circuit has certainly come to grim fruition with this appointment.

#20 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

hypothetical question for the partnering discussion in this thread:
Who seems the likely choice/preference for any number of leading women at ABT as a partner: Stearns or Hallberg (at their greenest) or Simkin at his 'most improved'?
partnering is far more than executing tricky over-head lifts, etc.

#21 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

I think the problem with that question, rg, is that almost all of the leading women at ABT simply could not dance with Simkin due to his height. Or are we discounting his height for the purposes of the question?

And I completely agree with the four points miliosr made.

#22 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

OK let's hypothetically ask those only Simkin's scale/ht.
or let's ask 'em all what they think, from watching performances, who's the more reliable, skilled and adept partner.

#23 Moonlily

Moonlily

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

I see the whole issue as being problematic too, for the reasons that miliosr has so aptly put together. The second point of his list makes the first one more severe in my opinion. At least I can imagine someone like Herman Cornejo in roles that he hasn't had the opportunity to dance yet at ABT (but will in the near future, see his Siegfried next MET season) while at the same time, I have difficulty to do so in the case of Daniil Simkin, even though he has done the roles in reality.

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,986 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Simkin just posted a link to his updated schedule to Facebook:

http://www.daniilsim...out/schedule-2/

He has two upcoming Ratmansky "Nutcracker" Princes and five performances of Prince Desire with the Swedish National Ballet in January-February, before the ABT tours to Hong Kong, Beijing, and DC, and the ABT Met season.

#25 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

I agree with miliosr in many things, but not on this matter.
I just posted the following to my fb page

[size=4]Daniil Simkin promoted to principal dancer at ABT? -- this is FINE WITH ME. Yes, he dances like an elf. Yes, he is a delicate man. No, he's probably not a big enough guy to partner ABT's ballerinas -- so let them hire a short ballerina. Simkin is a FABULOUS DANCER. He's a poet, with a fantastic instrument. He is not just a pyrotechnician -- he is a very sympathetic partner. Check this out: Kochetkova is also a TINY dancer, but look how big she moves, and how happy she looks with him. Please ABT, don't poach Kochetkova. We love her in San Francisco.[/size]

#26 NinaFan

NinaFan

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

I agree with miliosr in many things, but not on this matter.
I just posted the following to my fb page

[size=4]Daniil Simkin promoted to principal dancer at ABT? -- this is FINE WITH ME. Yes, he dances like an elf. Yes, he is a delicate man. No, he's probably not a big enough guy to partner ABT's ballerinas -- so let them hire a short ballerina. Simkin is a FABULOUS DANCER. He's a poet, with a fantastic instrument. He is not just a pyrotechnician -- he is a very sympathetic partner. Check this out: Kochetkova is also a TINY dancer, but look how big she moves, and how happy she looks with him. Please ABT, don't poach Kochetkova. We love her in San Francisco.[/size]

I second that Paul! I was so excited to hear that Daniil was promoted to Principal. I screamed with joy when I heard the news. I rarely miss any of his performances in New York. I consider him to be one of the most exciting dancers to have come along in years! He is emerging into a fine dance actor as well. Bravo ABT!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):