This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

We don't have JR Ewing to kick around anymore: Larry Hagman died today in Dallas at 81 after a battle with cancer after spending Thanksgiving with family and friends.

Here are some initial articles:

http://www.dailymail...tle-cancer.html

http://www.usatoday....-ewing/1723837/

http://www.nytimes.c...s-at-81.html?hp

I'll always remember him from "I Dream of Jeannie": his comic timing in that show was superb.

Rest in peace, Mr. Hagman.

Larry Hagman and I had the same doctor. In early 1994, I was assessed in Toronto by the surgeon, who was originally from Toronto. My oncologist (the surgeon's mentor in med school) thought the surgeon could perform a controversial new procedure to try to remove my adrenal gland tumour which had adhered itself to my liver. I would have gone to Cedars Sinai in L.A. for the surgery had I been accepted as a patient.

There were reasons why the surgeon thought he shouldn't attempt the radical surgery on me. When I heard the following year that he was Larry Hagman's surgeon for HIS liver tumour, I admit I was a little put off! I thought, what does Hagman have that I don't? What makes his surgery possible, but mine not? :)

Ever since, I've felt one degree of separation from Larry Hagman. We watched him in Dallas, I watched him before that in Jeannie, and I adored Mary Martin on Broadway and TV.

I wasn't a big fan of Dallas, but Hagman was indeed the man that people loved to hate in that show, and was a big part of its success. Which lead in turn to a major shift in dramatic programming for network television, right before cable changed the landscape. The opening show of the second season (where "who shot JR" was revealed) was probably one of the last times that a scripted program got such high viewership numbers (somewhere in the 40s) -- since then, it's pretty much been news-oriented programs (disasters and political events) that draw so many people.

I grew up watching *I Dream of Jeannie" reruns and actually had a crush on Larry Hagman, although I didn't know that is what it was at the time. Then, when Dallas came out, and I was still a kid (around 10 or 11 years old) I was astonished to see him act so mean in the new show! I have to admit that I was not really a Dallas fan (I preferred Dynasty.....more campy), but I did think he made a good villain from the few episodes I did watch.

I can not believe how time has flown. Now he's gone. It seems like yesterday that he was young and a presence on tv!

Larry Hagman and I had the same doctor. In early 1994, I was assessed in Toronto by the surgeon, who was originally from Toronto. My oncologist (the surgeon's mentor in med school) thought the surgeon could perform a controversial new procedure to try to remove my adrenal gland tumour which had adhered itself to my liver. I would have gone to Cedars Sinai in L.A. for the surgery had I been accepted as a patient.

There were reasons why the surgeon thought he shouldn't attempt the radical surgery on me. When I heard the following year that he was Larry Hagman's surgeon for HIS liver tumour, I admit I was a little put off! I thought, what does Hagman have that I don't? What makes his surgery possible, but mine not? smile.png

Ever since, I've felt one degree of separation from Larry Hagman. We watched him in Dallas, I watched him before that in Jeannie, and I adored Mary Martin on Broadway and TV.

That's an interesting story Marga. I'm a cynic, and so I'll suggest that Larry Hagman may have received preferential medical treatment due to his wealth and fame. That was what Hagman had that you didn't. I hate to be cruel, but it is well publicized that he had a long history of hard core drinking which led to/hastened his liver ailments. Should someone like that have even been considered for a liver transplant? Would a regular civilian have been considered for a liver transplant under those circumstances? I don't know much about medical ethics, and I know this is not the forum for such a debate. Glad that you are well, Marga.

Thanks for saying what I didn't voice, abatt. I am not well, but I am alive! You may remember when I met you a couple of years ago at the State Theater doors before a performance of the NYCB, I didn't hang around with the rest of the Ballet Talk group. That was because I cannot stand for long and had to go somewhere where I could sit down. I am always in physical distress when I'm out and about. That I go to the ballet at all during my NY visits home is a testament to my deep love for it!