This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Dance-Related Figure Skating Programs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 sjmiller

sjmiller

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

With only 2 days to go before the start of the Olympics, here is a particularly apt video for this board: 

http://www.nbcolympi...-figure-skating

Interviews not only with Tamara Moskvina, but also Keenan Kampa and the dean of the Bolshoi School, whose name I have completely blanked on at the moment.

#17 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

A quick look back at the man probably most identified with skate/dance/artistry -- John Curry.

"“If Fred Astaire could skate,” Ms. Starbuck said, “that’s how he would love to skate.”

"But Curry’s legacy doesn’t have to be a memory. It feels like a transitional moment in figure skating. While rules in competition haven’t destroyed all performances — there is always an anomaly like the South Korean skater Kim Yu-na, whose etherealness goes beyond checking off points on a scorecard — the sport has overshadowed the art. Ensemble groups like Ms. North’s Ice Theater may be the best hope for the future simply because they recall what skating has the potential to be: dancing on air."

#18 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

This is a quick overview comment.

I now do my years of perpetual beginner figure skating (always wear a helmet!) at a rink in California that formerly featured Frank Carroll as Coach (Michelle Kwan’s) and is run by Anthony Liu and owned by himself and his family.

(Anthony Liu (born Liu Yueming on 4th July 1974 in Qiqihar) is a Chinese-Australian figure skater. A seven-time Australian national champion, he represented Australia at the 1988 Winter Olympics, where he placed 25th, and at the 2002 Winter Olympics, where he placed 10th.)

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Anthony_Liu

In a rink that trains Olympic level skaters what goes on does have repercussions. I, like many, have noticed a drift from the more artistic world of John Curry and Michelle Kwan towards ‘high’ athleticism in the last ten years. I love artistry. I love the flow that can go way beyond what the ballet stage allows. Yesterday I noticed two young ‘high athletes’ just gliding at the end of their practice, and thought, “How lovely!”

Today I watched one of these young girls, named Gabby, (you might hopefully see her someday at the top of the list), who had the loveliest flowing grace and expression that I’ve seen on a rink in years. (I haven’t followed competition much on TV since the days of Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen). 

I told her and her coach that I go to a lot of ballet performances and think that she is lovely. I then mentioned to her coach that figure skating seems to have become very technical. He responded that there is now a definite “hidden(?)” drift towards more artistry because the technical stuff has ‘pretty much maxed out.’

This is the first time that I ever heard anything like this. I’d love it to go more in that direction. Let’s see what happens. 

And by the way, there's another little girl who has a constant little girl's bright as the sun Smile. My hope is that whatever difficulties they present her that her Smiling Self stays just the same. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):