This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

"Swan lake" live HD broadcast from Mikhailovsky

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Emblematic Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake at the Mikhailovsky Theatre, Saint-Petersburg! November 23 at 7PM Moscow [GMT+4], 3PM London [GMT], 10AM New York [GMT-5] join www.paraclassics.com to watch live HD webcast of Pyotr Il'ich Tchaikovsky's ballet Swan Lake from the Mikhailovsky theatre in Saint-Petersburg. Superior interpretation of Russian ballet chef-d'oeuvre by ballet reformer Alexander Gorsky and brilliant Soviet dancer and choreographer Asaf Messerer was staged in the Mikhailovsky theatre by Mikhail Messerer. Swan Lake that sings through its detail, The Guardian. Exquisite and elegant Ekaterina Borchenko, Golden mask nominee for the Best female performance in Swan Lake, the best Odette as per Tatiana Kuznetsova, Kommersant (in Russian), will perform with her partner Victor Lebedev. Stage design and costumes were created by Simon Virsaladze and carefully recreated by Vyacheslav Okunev. Conductor - Valery Ovsyanikov. November, 23 – Tchaikovsky's ballet Swan Lake – Mikhailovsky theatre Watch, enjoy and share emotions with your friends at Paraclassics on your PC/Mac or iPhone/iPad. Join our Facebook page for upcoming webcasts and archive updates!

#2 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hello, Aqualia,

I have a question - Do I have to register with Paraclassics? I don't see how to do this on the website. Or will it just play when I access Paraclassics at 10am tomorrow? (I live in New York State). Any help you can provide will be helpful and thank you.

#3 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

Please forget my post just now - duh - it is 11/23! My dates were messed up....

#4 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

Has anyone been able to watch this? I just went to their site figuring I'd catch it in progress but there was no live feed.

#5 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

Has anyone been able to watch this? I just went to their site figuring I'd catch it in progress but there was no live feed.

It started about 30 minutes later than the stated time. The reception is very good.

#6 CM

CM

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hi Nyusan

I've been enjoying the performance on:

http://paraclassics....victor-lebedev/

Usually it's possible to view a rerun of the performance for a few hours after the end of the transmission, so hopefully you might be able to catch up on anything that you might have missed.

#7 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

I've been watching this morning with no problem. They're about to start Act III. No registration is needed, but you need to download the (free) Microsoft Silverlight program. They have a link to it. Very easy to do.

http://www.mikhailov...en/events/live/

#8 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hmmm.. still can't get the feed on www.paraclassics.com

Too bad!

#9 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hmmm.. still can't get the feed on www.paraclassics.com

Too bad!

Have you tried the link directly to the Mikhailovsky site?

#10 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

I've been watching this morning with no problem. They're about to start Act III. No registration is needed, but you need to download the (free) Microsoft Silverlight program. They have a link to it. Very easy to do.

Thank you, that was the issue - I needed to install Silverlight!

#11 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

I'm watching it with no problems.

#12 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

I should also say I didn't need to install anything, that I was aware of. Thank you, California, for your help with this, anyway.

#13 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:04 AM

A beautiful performance! Borchenko is really special, a queen in every inch! Lebedev has a great potential! Bravo, Mikhailovsky! One of the best "Swan lake" videos of our days!

#14 CM

CM

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yuri Faier's recording of the Swan Lake ballet suite with the Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra (now available on MP3) was my introduction to Swan Lake. The record notes indicate that the Bolshoi presented Swan Lake with Gorsky choreography during their UK 1956 tour so I assume that this is the production that the Mikhailovsky theatre has revived and has just transmitted (the costumes and choreography of the Spanish dance on the DVD “Paul Czinner's 1956 The Bolshoi Ballet” match those in the Mikhailovsky production).

The video below (no sound) shows the arrival of the Bolshoi company and the scenery in 1956. Yuri Faier is shown at 2 minutes, 40 seconds.

http://www.britishpa...t/query/bolshoi

Performances of Swan Lake by the Bolshoi always take me back to my first memories of listening to the ballet suite – the interpretation of the music in the ballroom act is particularly special for me.

In terms of yesterday's live stream from the Mikhailovsky, I loved the production, the dancers/dancing and the music. The ballroom act was my favourite because the interpretation of the music with the dancing brought back so many memories. Other highlights were the corps de ballet in the Gorsky choreography and of course the performances of the principal dancers.

I also greatly enjoyed the competition and the performances by the stars during the grand prix on Wednesday and Thursday.

http://www.mikhailov.../detail/151614/

http://www.mikhailov.../detail/151615/

Grand Pas Classique is a great favourite of mine so I particularly enjoyed the pas de deux performed by Olesya Novikova and Leonid Sarafanov. I was also surprised by how much I enjoyed the performances of the more modern choreography, e.g., the pieces choreographed by Bigonzetti, Edward Klug and Nacho Duato.

#15 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

I really enjoyed this performance and watched parts of it a couple of times - will do so more over the weekend if it's available. Borchenko is a lovely Odette, though very cool, and a very capable Odile. I think the corps is stunning.- Borchenko and her swans had lovely port de bras - so soft and graceful - and their feet are gorgeous. I liked the quietness and restraint of the dancing - nuanced and meaningful without a lot of spectacle. Lebedev is very delicate and dances delicately, so graceful and again, quiet power. He is very young but manages to conveys 'young masculine' despite his very delicate aspect, and he will grow as an actor and grow into that role as he matures. So, so sorry no Russian Dance - it's one of my favorites and is either not performed to my satisfaction or not performed at all! I would want to see a really traditional sort of performance with that dance - the prospective bride or something like that in traditional Russian folk costume - a little like Maximova's dancing the Russian dance to Goleiovsky's choreography. And definitely danced en pointe.

I loved, loved, loved the sets, especially Act I, and the costumes were mostly gorgeous. I'm thinking of the white brides and the Spanish dancers and the Queen Mother, especially. It was interesting that Odette's tutu wasn't different then the other swans' tutus. I saw no real difference, anyway. I thought her black swan tutu was terrific. Does anyone know what kind of tutu, specifically? I would say pancake tutu but the tutus did fall over the circumference a bit, forming a kind of fringe. Very pretty.

In Act II, I really liked how the swans came out and surrounded Prince Siegfried in an effort to shield him from hunting Odette - the scene was dramatic and poignant - and then they posed! - how beautiful! The love duet was very satisfying, too.

Well, that's all I can think of right now - anyone else's thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):