This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Thinking about NYC-area ballet community

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 lovemydancers

lovemydancers

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

My prayers to everyone in the destruction zone.

My cousin, his wife and toddler were evacuated from Brick, NJ via military vehicle during the height of the storm. In advance of the storm, they were advised to stock up on batteries, but not advised to evacuate. (Still wouldn't have been my choice to stay, but....) They are among the lucky as well. Four feet of water in their house and two lost vehicles, but three homes on their block burned to the ground because the fire department couldn't reach them. There were fatalities in their neighborhood as well. They are happy to be replacing things like carpet and sheetrock, at this point.

#17 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but there's word now that most of the Martha Graham sets and costumes were flooded in 6 feet of water in a basement in the West Village:

http://artsbeat.blog...dy/#more-292711

#18 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

I am still waiting to speak with my 87 year old mother on LI. She has been without power and telephone since Monday. At least she has hot water and gas, but with no heat the coming weekend rainstorm, winds and subsequent drop in temperature has me worried even more for her comfort. My brother's basement on LI was flooded with one and a half feet of water. His family is also without power, I have cousins in New Jersey and Staten Island in affected areas and have no idea how they have fared. I know my mom and brother's family are safe - we got a call from my sister-in-law's mother who has power on LI - but my stomach will continue to be in knots until I speak with my mother personally.

I hope you get to soon! They are getting power up on LI (no sure thing with LIPA). My sister in law got hers back this afternoon. Best of luck!!
I'm waiting to hear if my mom got power back today. I think she missed the zone by a block :( She has no heat...

#19 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but there's word now that most of the Martha Graham sets and costumes were flooded in 6 feet of water in a basement in the West Village:

http://artsbeat.blog...dy/#more-292711

The Wall St. Journal reported that the New York City Opera has lost a lot of materials, such as its musical library and its archives. The materials were stored on Broad Street in lower Manhattan.

On a separate note, since the Koch has no tenant presently, wouldn't it be great if the dance companies that are based in NYC (NYCB, ABT, Ailey, Paul Taylor, so on) could get together a benefit performance with all proceeds going to the Hurricane Relief effort?

#20 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

On a separate note, since the Koch has no tenant presently, wouldn't it be great if the dance companies that are based in NYC (NYCB, ABT, Ailey, Paul Taylor, so on) could get together a benefit performance with all proceeds going to the Hurricane Relief effort?

Your lips to the gods' ears.

#21 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and good wishes.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I live in Astoria, Queens and never lost power, heat or hot water. No flooding by me either.

At least half of my co-workers weren't so lucky and are still without power and heat and overnight temperatures are now close to freezing. Several had to leave their homes due to damage from flooding. One co-worker who lives in Long Island City won't have power for at least another week. She and her husband stayed with me for 2 days before going to their in-laws in PA for some semblance of normalcy.

This is one time at least when I didn't think the media was exaggerating, but the attention hasn't been equally distributed; not even close. Many parts of Long Island have been ignored as has Westchester. Staten Island, Red Hood and the Rockaways haven't received enough coverage either and are still lacking basic necessities. Folks in these areas have lost everything.

I definitely have survivor's guilt. It's heartbreaking to see what my fellow NY'ers are dealing with.

#22 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

I am also experiencing a guilt complex. I live in the Forest Hills area of Queens and there was no damage and no power outage at any time. A few trees came down, but that's about it. I've been watching a lot of news coverage, and I thought the media coverage of the various local news channels was extensive regarding Long Island, Staten Island, Breezy Point, the Rockaways as well as New Jersey. I would agree that areas like Westchester, Red Hook and Sheepshead Bay were not covered as much. However, those areas were not completely destroyed the way the other locales were. Big difference between loss of power and some flooding versus houses torn off their foundations and blown to bits- having a lifetime of hard work and memories destroyed in a few hours. Of course, I feel sorry for everyone that suffered losses.

#23 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Your lips to the gods' ears.

It may take more than the gods' hearing the suggestion. Anyone want to start making phone calls, sending e-mails? If we can get a little committee going here, we may be able to make it happen.

BTW, I'm one of those NYC residents who was effectively untouched by the storm, beyond being shaken by the devastation others have endured. I grew up on the Jersey shore and have been inundated (bad word?) by images of familiar landscapes ruined beyond recognition. My elderly parents who live maybe 10 miles inland now lost electricity and removed to a hotel where my dad slipped in the shower, breaking three ribs. Painful, but no damage beyond the ribs, and he is innately cheerful. His ribs will heal before most of the damage to the community is repaired.

#24 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

So sorry to hear about your dad, carbro! What irony! My mother just got her power back on LI two hours ago. I am so relieved! She's a gutsy 87 year old under her mild-mannered demeanor and elected to stay home alone. I wasn't to-o-o worried about her. Still, finally getting a telephone connection an hour and a half ago, just 20 minutes after her power was restored, was a burden lifted. We spoke for almost an hour as she told me about her week in the dark and cold!

#25 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

So glad to hear your mother's got power now, Marga -- andthat you're back in touch with her. it must be awful for those who hve no heat.
Carley, I'm glad to hear your father's prognosis is good -- SO much better to break a few ribs than to break a hip!

My heart goes out to you all. I feel very involved. Partly because I grew up in what USED to be hurricane country -- oh my Lord. My mother drove through hurricane Camille the year her father was dying, trying to get to her family in New Orleans, her car hydroplaned off a big pool of water on the highway, she was rescued from somebody's pasture unharmed, she made it. Wouldn't wish that on anybody, but since it's what you live with it shapes your character in unusual ways -- i feel like I've got a little more in common now with New Yorkers, Jersey-ites -- New Jersey REALLY took the damage, sewage water backed up in the streets in Hoboken, now THAT's the kind of nastiness katrina brought about, and the water pouring through the house front to back and lifting it off the foundations, that happened to My grandmother's house on Canal Boulevard. It's terrible -- but hte neighbors do help, and we're all feeling for you and hoping the gasoline deliveries get in soon so those generators can get to work. Love to all the BA crowd.

BTW, I have to say, Bloomberg looks very good -- and I have to say, Christie looks like a very recognizable human being. He was right from the start, and the way he cussed at the mayor of Atlantic City made me want to make him an honorary Southerner.

#26 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

BTW, I have to say, Bloomberg looks very good -- and I have to say, Christie looks like a very recognizable human being. He was right from the start, and the way he cussed at the mayor of Atlantic City made me want to make him an honorary Southerner.

To be fair, he's always willing to curse at people ;) And those of us in the NY/NJ area aren't shy about that ourselves!

In seriousness however, I agree that both of them (and Cuomo, and Schumer) really did look good. And I am not always a fan of some of the above mentioned. Bloomberg managed to not sound too annoyed or peeved for most of the crisis, which can be hard for him. And Christie, well you said it well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):