This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ksenia Zhiganshina - future star?

Natalia

Young Ksenia Zhiganshina -- just a student at the Vaganova Academy -- made her debut as Amour in last night's Don Quixote at he Mariinsky Theater. This prodigy won the Mikhailovsky Prix's top prize two years ago. She has one or maybe even two years to go before she graduates!

No guarantee that she will choose to dance with the Mariinsky when she graduates, seeing what several promising students have done in recent years (Smirnova, Shapran, Lebedev, Kiyanenko who went to Vienna straight from the school 4 yrs ago, etc.).

Not too many Vaganova students -- especially those with over a year left of studies -- debut in adult soloist roles while still students. Vishneva danced the main role in Don Q (Kitri) while still a student. Karsavina, I believe. Others?

She has the stage presense of a superstar already. Let's hope this debut is a sign that Fateyev is going to give her proper attention and not ignore her b/c she is more petite than his current muses.

I know she is still young and growing but I am curious as to her height. I'm a bit partial to the smaller ballerinas in general and Ksenia is right up my alley thumbsup.gif

Young Ksenia Zhiganshina -- just a student at the Vaganova Academy -- made her debut as Amour in last night's Don Quixote at he Mariinsky Theater. This prodigy won the Mikhailovsky Prix's top prize two years ago. She has one or maybe even two years to go before she graduates!

No guarantee that she will choose to dance with the Mariinsky when she graduates, seeing what several promising students have done in recent years (Smirnova, Shapran, Lebedev, Kiyanenko who went to Vienna straight from the school 4 yrs ago, etc.).

Not too many Vaganova students -- especially those with over a year left of studies -- debut in adult soloist roles while still students. Vishneva danced the main role in Don Q (Kitri) while still a student. Karsavina, I believe. Others?

Ksenia has said that it has always been her dream to dance for the Mariinsky, and that at the moment is what she wishes to do.
e

That was beautiful! There's a truly magical moment at about 1:37 where the two of them seem to float....I think I'm going to watch the whole thing again. wub.png

I felt the same by the end of the clip. Those last three lifts, after the music becomes still, just before they leave the stage. One high, the other higher, and the third (because it would be impossible to go higher), longer and extended forward. What is usually one of the nicer but not particularly memorable parts of the Nutcracker suddenly became heart-breakingly beautiful.

What is it about some young performers, that they can achieve this kind of effect even before their technical training is complete?

A peripheral question: Is "Ksenia" the same name that one often sees transliterated as "Xenia"?

In his YouTube channel, Zhiganshina's father cited that Ksenia graduates this year (2013). She transferred from the Leonid Yakobsen School a couple of years ago and may have started her training earlier than normal (?).

Ksenia graduates in 2014.

Yes, she was supposed to leave the Vaganova (for professional life) in '14 but it has been moved up. Maybe she won't get a diploma but her dad is on record that his daughter will become a professional at the end of the current school year.

She is a divine little thing but I would like to see her train one more year and get another company exposure like the recent Amour performance before going full professional.

I have watched her the last few years and (to my eyes at least) she is just now starting to grow into her more adult frame. She can I think also benefit from one last year at the Academy for fine tuning, esp. at this final stage of physical growth. Besides she is 17 at most, yes?

Zhiganshinas graduation

Talisman

Paquita

I think her artistry was more present in Talisman. A pleasure to watch, even with some minor mistakes in the solo part (which are rare for Ksenia). Her Paquita was technically very strong with amazing stage presence but perhaps a bit "flat" in terms of artistry. All in all a very promising graduate to watch.I wish her an amazing career in Bolshoi!.

Ksenia has got off to a flying start with the Bolshoi! Her debut was as Neapolitan Bride in the second Swan Lake of the season on 20th September. She next danced one of the Furies in Flammes de Paris on 26th September, and she is scheduled to dance one of the Two Sylphs in La Sylphide on 11th October. I also spotted her dancing in the corps during the Legend of Love rehearsal in the recent Bolshoi broadcast. Congratulations and good luck to this talented young ballerina!

Ksenia danced the peasant pas de deux in Giselle a few days ago. I wish we could get more videos of her!

There is nothing on YT that I can see, but Ksenia herself posted this tiny fragment:

http://videos-h-19.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfa1/10831121_637242769731199_1359502250_n.mp4

Unfortunately, it is filmed with an iPhone and there is a 15 seconds time limit, so this is all we have - but it is better than nothing! Well done, Ksenia!

I've resisted moving Olga Smirnova to the Bolshoi topics for over two years, Yid. I love comparing her to Oxana Skorik for one thing. For another she's too distinct to really be categorized anywhere and still has lots of Vaganova/Mariinsky in her. I even try to get Svetlana Zakharova in my Mariinsky posts as much as possible. Furthermore, regrettably, I've yet to visit to Moscow.

But you do have a good point and in regard to Olga Smirnova, well, I hope to make it to Moscow one day and maybe I can take her with me.

Great news because finally Ksenia has her first major role at Bolshoi! On this Friday, 22nd April, she is to be Gulnare in Corsaire - Krysanova/Tsvirko are Medora/Conrad! I think this is a perfect role for her - she has such natural charm. Best wishes and congratulations to Ksenia!