This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ksenia Zhiganshina - future star?Vaganova student debuts w/ pro company

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Young Ksenia Zhiganshina -- just a student at the Vaganova Academy -- made her debut as Amour in last night's Don Quixote at he Mariinsky Theater. This prodigy won the Mikhailovsky Prix's top prize two years ago. She has one or maybe even two years to go before she graduates!

No guarantee that she will choose to dance with the Mariinsky when she graduates, seeing what several promising students have done in recent years (Smirnova, Shapran, Lebedev, Kiyanenko who went to Vienna straight from the school 4 yrs ago, etc.).

Not too many Vaganova students -- especially those with over a year left of studies -- debut in adult soloist roles while still students. Vishneva danced the main role in Don Q (Kitri) while still a student. Karsavina, I believe. Others?

#2 Tara

Tara

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

She has the stage presense of a superstar already. Let's hope this debut is a sign that Fateyev is going to give her proper attention and not ignore her b/c she is more petite than his current muses.

I know she is still young and growing but I am curious as to her height. I'm a bit partial to the smaller ballerinas in general and Ksenia is right up my alley Posted Image

#3 amiaow

amiaow

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

She was fantastic- what charisma!

#4 Tiara

Tiara

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

Young Ksenia Zhiganshina -- just a student at the Vaganova Academy -- made her debut as Amour in last night's Don Quixote at he Mariinsky Theater. This prodigy won the Mikhailovsky Prix's top prize two years ago. She has one or maybe even two years to go before she graduates!

No guarantee that she will choose to dance with the Mariinsky when she graduates, seeing what several promising students have done in recent years (Smirnova, Shapran, Lebedev, Kiyanenko who went to Vienna straight from the school 4 yrs ago, etc.).

Not too many Vaganova students -- especially those with over a year left of studies -- debut in adult soloist roles while still students. Vishneva danced the main role in Don Q (Kitri) while still a student. Karsavina, I believe. Others?

Ksenia has said that it has always been her dream to dance for the Mariinsky, and that at the moment is what she wishes to do.

#5 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

One of Ksenia's family members posted a video of her Nov. 11th performance at the Hermitage Theatre in the pas from "The Nutcracker" >The quality of the film is quite good and offers a clear glimpse of her great talents:

#6 ascballerina

ascballerina

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

That was beautiful! There's a truly magical moment at about 1:37 where the two of them seem to float....I think I'm going to watch the whole thing again. Posted Image

#7 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Thank you for posting, Catherine -- that was beautiful. In her warmth, she reminds me of Obraztsova.

#8 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Helene, yes, "warmth" is a great adjective, completely agree :-)

#9 raisssasss

raisssasss

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

There is a video from pas de deux in Nutcracker:

She's great even she did some technical mistakes.

#10 Renata Rodrigues

Renata Rodrigues

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Masha is traditionally done by the students of the last year. Ksenia is in 8th grade. I don't remember if this has happened before.

#11 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

e
That was beautiful! There's a truly magical moment at about 1:37 where the two of them seem to float....I think I'm going to watch the whole thing again. Posted Image

I felt the same by the end of the clip. Those last three lifts, after the music becomes still, just before they leave the stage. One high, the other higher, and the third (because it would be impossible to go higher), longer and extended forward. What is usually one of the nicer but not particularly memorable parts of the Nutcracker suddenly became heart-breakingly beautiful.

What is it about some young performers, that they can achieve this kind of effect even before their technical training is complete?

A peripheral question: Is "Ksenia" the same name that one often sees transliterated as "Xenia"?

#12 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

In his YouTube channel, Zhiganshina's father cited that Ksenia graduates this year (2013). She transferred from the Leonid Yakobsen School a couple of years ago and may have started her training earlier than normal (?).

#13 Tiara

Tiara

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

In his YouTube channel, Zhiganshina's father cited that Ksenia graduates this year (2013). She transferred from the Leonid Yakobsen School a couple of years ago and may have started her training earlier than normal (?).

Ksenia graduates in 2014.

#14 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Yes, she was supposed to leave the Vaganova (for professional life) in '14 but it has been moved up. Maybe she won't get a diploma but her dad is on record that his daughter will become a professional at the end of the current school year.

#15 Tara

Tara

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Yes, she was supposed to leave the Vaganova (for professional life) in '14 but it has been moved up. Maybe she won't get a diploma but her dad is on record that his daughter will become a professional at the end of the current school year.

She is a divine little thing but I would like to see her train one more year and get another company exposure like the recent Amour performance before going full professional.

I have watched her the last few years and (to my eyes at least) she is just now starting to grow into her more adult frame. She can I think also benefit from one last year at the Academy for fine tuning, esp. at this final stage of physical growth. Besides she is 17 at most, yes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):