19 replies to this topic

#16 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,060 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

A review of Pavlova in "The Dumb Girl of Portici" by Joan Acocella in The New Yorker's blog.

So the scenario is corny, even annoying, and the acting, like that of so many silent movies, is overdone, rhetorical, and bug-eyed, largely because it was adapted from the stage, where actors had to project to the third balcony. Pavlova in particular is asked to overact, and not only because she is in a silent..........But her acting that is the reason to see this movie. Pavlova was only five feet tall, but here she seems long and tensile. She doesn't just raise her arms; she stabs the air with them, and splays her fingers like prongs, or tendrils. She is a tendril, too—skinny, bendable—but wild. She scales a wall. (That's how she gets out of prison.) And while she was so femme onstage, here she can be comical....

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,060 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Atlantic City Ballet presents "Dracula."

Papa’s inspiration for her presentation of Dracula was twofold — to create a show that would work as a regular presentation in the fall season, and to bring a new, younger audience to ballet.

“I was looking for something in the fall that could be done annually. Halloween was getting bigger and bigger, so I was trying to figure out what I could do in October that would fit with the season. And I needed something that would appeal to new audiences. I wanted to get younger people involved since they don’t have it in school anymore, or they are not bringing school children to theaters anymore.
..."

#18 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,060 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

An exhibit of Mikhail Baryshnikov's photographs is presented in Israel. Full article available to Haaretz subscribers only.

Mikhail Baryshnikov, ballet superstar of the 1970s, held a press conference Tuesday at Tel Aviv's Suzanne Dellal Center to launch his exhibit of photographs of dancers, titled "Dance My Way," which opens there on Wednesday.

#19 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,060 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

American Ballet Theatre quits City Center.

The American Ballet Theatre has signed a three-year contract to perform at the David H. Koch Theater in Lincoln Center.

Related.

American Ballet Theater plans to maintain its spring season at the Met, as well as its annual “Nutcracker” performances at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. And though the Koch Theater has been renovated and renamed (it was formerly the New York State Theater) since American Ballet Theater last visited it, it is not quite terra incognita for the company, which performed there regularly between 1965 and 1976.

#20 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,060 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

A photo of the "National American Ballet" camping out, 1924.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):