This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

MSC Ballet Flash Mob

"They were members of Miami City Ballet, in their first flash mob performance. Their surprise show, an excerpt from Paul Taylor’s Piazzolla Caldera, aimed to promote the ballet’s season-opening program at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts this weekend.

MCB dancers Rebecca King and Callie Manning brought the idea to new artistic director Lourdes Lopez, who enthusiastically signed on last week. The company scrambled to pull together the event, which became part of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation’s Random Acts of Culture program.

Dressed in denim shorts, T-shirts and tank tops, sneakers and sandals, the dancers seemed to enjoy themselves and the sensation they created. They mingled with the crowd beforehand, and afterward rushed out among the startled onlookers, handing out cards offering half-price discounts to the Arsht Center performances."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/16/3052692/miami-city-ballet-wows-wynwood.html#storyBody

I am sure this was fun for the dancers and bystanders. I wonder, however, if these types of outreach events actually translate into new audience members or ticket sales.

I don't mean to be negative. I just wish the world were a different place. I think the masses should be lining up for tickets to cultural events. I wish artists did not need to go out to the masses and introduce them and cajole them into coming to the ballet.

I think the U.S.'s emphasis on pop culture (pop music) and the loss of music education in the U.S. have created a total lack of interest in the fine arts. The "arts" are now almost a niche product that has to be sold to the masses, "Hey, come look at this! It is not as stuffy as you think! You should try it!" When I was a teacher I taught low test scorers, and I took them on a field trip to see Alvin Ailey, and the other teachers (all very educated and experienced) thought I was nuts. They said, "Those kids won't appreciate that! They are going to embarrass you!" They did appreciate it and loved it, even the middle school "bad" boys loved it. They applauded like a Cuban audience and had their eyes glued to the dancers the entire time. I didn't know whether to watch the stage or watch the kids' reactions.

I think the emphasis on pop culture and things like American Idol have made Americans happy with mediocre artists and they don't hunt around for excellent artists to listen to......I am probably in the minority but I find it sad that ballet dancers have to go out into public and basically show the masses, "See, this is actually pretty cool! Come see us! Please!!!"

I love the idea and wish I lived in Miami to have experienced it (though I suppose these things aren't announced ahead of time.)

On another MCB thread, cubanmiamiboy has given a description of the Wynwood Walls locale. Here's the quote:

Wynwood is a neighborhood that was formerly composed of warehouses, all very ugly and dangerous. For the past 15 years all this warehouses have been slowly converted into art studios, art galleries, trendy boutiques, expensive restaurants, clubs and modern furniture stores. Artists have moved there also, and now is becoming a very expensive and chic neighborhood, still surrounded by dangerous Overtown though.

There's room in ballet companies, I think, for this and for grandeur and perfume as well. Piazzolla Caldera, scheduled for Program I this season, was a good choice. It should look spontaneous. The informal clothing added to the charm -- even the guy in the vertically stripped tank top and running shoes, looking like a bumble bee let loose among the night-blooming flowers. (Actually, that was Chase Swatosh, a fine dancer who excelled in 2 seasons ago in Taylor's Promethean Fire.)

The idea started with dancers (a refreshing deviation from ballet's hierarchical structure) and got approval from management (good for Lopez). They received support from the admirable Knight Foundation.

I did not mean to denigrate the event. Like I said, I think it was probably fun for the dancers and the people who witnessed it. They have these things in opera too, and all my friends knew I loved opera and would send me YouTube clips of opera flash mobs in grocery stores or other places. Somehow I think you have to be there to truly enjoy it (in my opinion). It would probably be fun to have it happen around you, but simply watching these things does not really do much for me. I would rather watch a full, normal performance any day either in person or on video.

I've always lived in artsy, urban renewal areas (usually historic downtown areas) surrounded by ghetto, so I suspect I know the type of neighborhood described, but I also know most the people I have known even in artsy neighborhoods are mostly into Madonna and alternative pop music. Ballet and opera are still sort of "Oh, cool, maybe I will go to a ballet once in my life!" type of thing even today among the artsy crowd. Most of my experiences when a friend brings a friend over for dinner and finds out I am an opera lover, the new acquaintance will pipe up, "Oh, I love Phantom of the Opera!" This is like telling a heroin addict that you are into pot! LOL

I appreciate your point of view on this Birdsall. And I agree with much of what you say. My hope is that some people might be impressed enough by the spirit and talent of the dancers to buy a ticket to Program One to see the "real" full-length Piazzolla Caldera.

They might be puzzled by the opener, Les Patineurs. But they'll watch it while waiting for P.C. If they like that, they may even stay for the final work -- the masterpiece of the evening, Apollo, a ballet which haunts many kinds of people in all sorts of unexpected ways.

But IF Apollo touches them on a level they haven't experienced before, they might be interested enough to return to Program Two. And so on. Years later -- who knows? -- Les Patineurs may become a much-loved work.

Thus are ballet lovers born.

Most of my experiences when a friend brings a friend over for dinner and finds out I am an opera lover, the new acquaintance will pipe up, "Oh, I love Phantom of the Opera!" This is like telling a heroin addict that you are into pot! LOL

laugh.png That's like when people find out I'm a jazz fan and tell me about the time they saw Kenny G.

I appreciate your point of view on this Birdsall. And I agree with much of what you say. My hope is that some people might be impressed enough by the spirit and talent of the dancers to buy a ticket to Program One to see the "real" full-length Piazzolla Caldera.

They might be puzzled by the opener, Les Patineurs. But they'll watch it while waiting for P.C. If they like that, they may even stay for the final work -- the masterpiece of the evening, Apollo, a ballet which haunts many kinds of people in all sorts of unexpected ways.

But IF Apollo touches them on a level they haven't experienced before, they might be interested enough to return to Program Two. And so on. Years later -- who knows? -- Les Patineurs may become a much-loved work.

Thus are ballet lovers born.

I would have thought Les Patineurs would be immediately loved by beginners. Since I am new to all this please explain why you think it takes longer to love Les Patineurs.

I agree with you about Apollo.

And, yes, maybe the flash mob idea does introduce someone who might begin a love affair with ballet. I hope so. I hope things like this are not in vain.

Most of my experiences when a friend brings a friend over for dinner and finds out I am an opera lover, the new acquaintance will pipe up, "Oh, I love Phantom of the Opera!" This is like telling a heroin addict that you are into pot! LOL

laugh.png That's like when people find out I'm a jazz fan and tell me about the time they saw Kenny G.

I had to look up who Kenny G. was even though I've heard the name before. Judging from a few seconds of a video clip I understand. Your comparison makes sense. I am totally out of it as far as contemporary culture is concerned which is why I skim Perez Hilton online every morning. I literally spent 20 years listening to nothing but opera although I would hear the latest Madonna at the bars. But at 45 I rarely go to the bars anymore. Perez Hilton is my only connection to mainstream culture. It is the only way I am able to hold normal conversations with people. I actually know who Rihanna and Lindsay Lohan!

I would hear the latest Madonna at the bars.

And I have a ticket for her concert already in November..! yahoo.gif

I do admire Madonna as an entertainer and even like some songs (what gay guy can avoid liking her songs), but I have to say I would never spend money to see her live, although if I won a free ticket I would definitely go see her show, b/c I think she puts on an elaborate show, not just a concert like singers used to do.

Coming late to the thread, I'm wondering what "MSC" stands for? Something familiar to Floridians but not visitors? And as for Madonna, I've had occasion to admire her beautiful eyes, but further along I can't go.

But as for the main topic, I've long, long felt that the "free sample" approach is a good way to market anything - offer receptive people a taste, and let 'em decide whether they want to try more! Words skillfully-enough chosen to portray dancing comes close, but I've seen an awful lot of lame ad copy, with much the same superlatives as are used to promote everything. And video clips on the web are okay, but this free public demonstration looks like it might have potential.

... I wonder, however, if these types of outreach events actually translate into new audience members or ticket sales. ...

Exactly. And how does anyone find out what the effect of some promotion is? I've asked marketers or arts administrators this a few times and the best I get is, "It's fuzzy." (My state of mind on the subject.)