This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Max Beloserkovsky's Status UPDATE: Retired

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

Drew, I agree with you. I think he was so perfect in that role, so noble, with such a passive, for lack of a better word, yet powerful elegance. I can still see him standing by the temple, mourning Sylvia, looking like a Greek statue. Mary

#17 Plisskin

Plisskin

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

Wow. No announcement or anything... However, I personally see his retirement as a positive. Up and coming Corp/ Soloist members can be given more chances to move up in the ranks. I wouldn't be sad to see Irina follow suit to be honest. At most, she dances 2-3 times a year. So far for this year, ABT has posted the upcoming schedule for the upcoming 7 months, and she has 1 performance.

#18 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Wow. No announcement or anything... However, I personally see his retirement as a positive. Up and coming Corp/ Soloist members can be given more chances to move up in the ranks. I wouldn't be sad to see Irina follow suit to be honest. At most, she dances 2-3 times a year. So far for this year, ABT has posted the upcoming schedule for the upcoming 7 months, and she has 1 performance.

I agree completely with you Plisskin.

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

The suddeness of this is odd. I hope that he is OK (healthwise). I fondly remember his Desire opposite Irina in Sleeping Beauty.

#20 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Irina when I first started going to the ballet was one of my favorite dancers. She was technically excellent, and fun in a kind of old-fashioned, over-the-top way. She took some time off to have a baby and when she returned I started to notice that her performances became more brittle and generic. The technique was still there but it was all very careful and expressionless, and not really the Irina I remembered. Eventually I started to avoid her performances.

#21 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I think her performances with Max were more mechanical than not, I guess, since they've been dancing together (and almost exclusively together) for so long. But her Romeo & Juliet with Bolle that I saw was incredible. The last time I saw Max was in Giselle w. Irina 2-3 yrs ago...he was serviceable and a good partner to Irina. I confess (not that I am ashamed of it or anything!) I do like Irina a lot and I hope she will take her time following Max out.

He did perform in Nutcrackers here over the holidays (at least as far as I know he wasn't replaced), so I'm sure he's fine. I guess the reason for the disappearance in the manner it occurred will be a mystery unless someone does an interview with him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):