This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Max Beloserkovsky's Status UPDATE: Retired

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

Drew, I agree with you. I think he was so perfect in that role, so noble, with such a passive, for lack of a better word, yet powerful elegance. I can still see him standing by the temple, mourning Sylvia, looking like a Greek statue. Mary

#17 Plisskin

Plisskin

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

Wow. No announcement or anything... However, I personally see his retirement as a positive. Up and coming Corp/ Soloist members can be given more chances to move up in the ranks. I wouldn't be sad to see Irina follow suit to be honest. At most, she dances 2-3 times a year. So far for this year, ABT has posted the upcoming schedule for the upcoming 7 months, and she has 1 performance.

#18 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Wow. No announcement or anything... However, I personally see his retirement as a positive. Up and coming Corp/ Soloist members can be given more chances to move up in the ranks. I wouldn't be sad to see Irina follow suit to be honest. At most, she dances 2-3 times a year. So far for this year, ABT has posted the upcoming schedule for the upcoming 7 months, and she has 1 performance.

I agree completely with you Plisskin.

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

The suddeness of this is odd. I hope that he is OK (healthwise). I fondly remember his Desire opposite Irina in Sleeping Beauty.

#20 canbelto

canbelto

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Irina when I first started going to the ballet was one of my favorite dancers. She was technically excellent, and fun in a kind of old-fashioned, over-the-top way. She took some time off to have a baby and when she returned I started to notice that her performances became more brittle and generic. The technique was still there but it was all very careful and expressionless, and not really the Irina I remembered. Eventually I started to avoid her performances.

#21 ksk04

ksk04

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I think her performances with Max were more mechanical than not, I guess, since they've been dancing together (and almost exclusively together) for so long. But her Romeo & Juliet with Bolle that I saw was incredible. The last time I saw Max was in Giselle w. Irina 2-3 yrs ago...he was serviceable and a good partner to Irina. I confess (not that I am ashamed of it or anything!) I do like Irina a lot and I hope she will take her time following Max out.

He did perform in Nutcrackers here over the holidays (at least as far as I know he wasn't replaced), so I'm sure he's fine. I guess the reason for the disappearance in the manner it occurred will be a mystery unless someone does an interview with him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):