This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Max Beloserkovsky's Status UPDATE: Retired

Unless he's been ill this whole time, the guy has not danced in quite a while. Why does ABT continue to employ him? His position could go to one of the soloists. To be honest, the same could be said about his wife, Irina, too. She's not completely vanished, but she hardly dances. I'd love to see a soloist be promoted in her place as well.

For awhile I assumed they were keeping him on the roster to keep Irina, who is still in her peak (in comparison to Max, who has, by all accounts, slowed way down). But now Irina is only dancing two performances in spring...so that's clearly not it either. Obviously something is up behind the scenes, but who knows what.

It just might be an 'h.r. move' related to pension and/or visas? (If they're already US citizens or perm residents, then it's not visas.)

Maybe they have iron-clad contracts specifying a minimum number of years?

In Russia, some dancers are kept on the roster -- at any level -- to meet some minimal requirement for pensions or some other legal benefit that can be accorded only if dancer-x is on the roster for a certain number of years.

Good point. The visa problem didn't even occur to me, but I guess that could be a significant concern. Their daughter was born in the US,and she is a US citizen, but I have no idea whether either of her parents are citizens. I saw a news story just this weekend about a mother who was trying to stay in the US even though she was not a citizen and her visa expired. She had an infant daughter who was born here, and apparently there is some rule that allows the parent to stay if the parent is the primary caregiver. However, it seems like quite a hassle to get that permission, and it would not necessarily permit both illegal parents to stay in the country.

Well very few companies are hiring 40-something dancers. It says somewhere that Max debuted professionally in 1990 when he probably was a teenager. So he is forty or above. Max and Irina had big guesting engagements worldwide. It precluded their participation in the tours and Fall City Center gigs with ABT. They are not included in the City Center season this year or on any of the tours. Frankly, they probably could still dance the Iago and Emilia roles in "The Moor's Pavane" rather well. The only outside engagements they have right now are some "Nutcracker" performances in December - one series in a high school auditorium.

http://www.festivalballet.org/fbt/nutcracker2012.html

It is probably worth it staying on just to be able to market himself as a current ABT principal. It would help them get outside gigs. The other big question is "Why is ABT keeping Max B on the roster - paying him - and then not casting him?". Do they have a per performance contract or is it a seasonal contract? Maybe Max has a benefactor (Theresa Khawly in the past) who keeps sponsoring his contract.

The only outside engagements they have right now are some "Nutcracker" performances in December - one series in a high school auditorium.

http://www.festivalb...racker2012.html

A small correction: Festival Ballet actually performs in the new Barclay Theatre at the University of California, Irvine. It's a lovely theater, with great sightlines, far from a high school auditorium. And FTB has had some impressive guests in recent years, such as Marcelo Gomes and Gillian Murphy in the full-length Don Quixote.

Isn't that the case of Nioradze, Natasha...?

Partly, cubanmiamiboy. In her case, I will guess also 'pride' and desire to market herself as a Mariinsky Principal whenever she guest-stars in galas, Andris Liepa's producitons, and such. My understanding is that she is quite 'well to do' and enjoying family life outside of Russia.

The h.r. and pension/benefits are more the concern of those in non-principal positions.

Beloserkosky's Aminta in Ashton's Sylvia was my favorite of the three I saw at ABT a few years back--the most fluid and, to my eyes, having the right unemphatic pastoral quality. When I think of him, that's the performance I call to mind.

Wow. No announcement or anything... However, I personally see his retirement as a positive. Up and coming Corp/ Soloist members can be given more chances to move up in the ranks. I wouldn't be sad to see Irina follow suit to be honest. At most, she dances 2-3 times a year. So far for this year, ABT has posted the upcoming schedule for the upcoming 7 months, and she has 1 performance.

Wow. No announcement or anything... However, I personally see his retirement as a positive. Up and coming Corp/ Soloist members can be given more chances to move up in the ranks. I wouldn't be sad to see Irina follow suit to be honest. At most, she dances 2-3 times a year. So far for this year, ABT has posted the upcoming schedule for the upcoming 7 months, and she has 1 performance.

I agree completely with you Plisskin.

Irina when I first started going to the ballet was one of my favorite dancers. She was technically excellent, and fun in a kind of old-fashioned, over-the-top way. She took some time off to have a baby and when she returned I started to notice that her performances became more brittle and generic. The technique was still there but it was all very careful and expressionless, and not really the Irina I remembered. Eventually I started to avoid her performances.

I think her performances with Max were more mechanical than not, I guess, since they've been dancing together (and almost exclusively together) for so long. But her Romeo & Juliet with Bolle that I saw was incredible. The last time I saw Max was in Giselle w. Irina 2-3 yrs ago...he was serviceable and a good partner to Irina. I confess (not that I am ashamed of it or anything!) I do like Irina a lot and I hope she will take her time following Max out.

He did perform in Nutcrackers here over the holidays (at least as far as I know he wasn't replaced), so I'm sure he's fine. I guess the reason for the disappearance in the manner it occurred will be a mystery unless someone does an interview with him.