5 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Dance Books has announced the publication of Geraldine Morris' "Frederick Ashton's Ballets: Style, Performance, and Choreography." From the email announcements:

The author, a former member of the Royal Ballet, has produced a ground-breaking study of six of Ashton's ballets, using them as examples to discuss the nature of Ashton's style and its relationship to early twentieth century dance training in Britain. She discusses the problems of performing Ashton's work in a stylistically correct manner, and suggests how some present day defects might be remedied. The result is exhilarating and enlightening but also controversial.

Here's a link to book page on the Dance Books website:
http://www.dancebook...6eashs4j78r3r11

#2 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

I was watching Sylvia yesterday with my mom and she asked me "why this beautiful Petipa choreography is not that known as SL or SB", and she was surprised when I told her that it was not Petipa, but rather Ashton's display of the Petipa language. She LOVED the ballet. I'm taking her to NYC to see it ! Posted Image

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

My copy is in the mail!

#4 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

And it came today!!

#5 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Sandik, if you have time, please report any interesting findings – especially anything characterizing elements of the Ashton style or approach.

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Sandik, if you have time, please report any interesting findings – especially anything characterizing elements of the Ashton style or approach.

Alas, I've got a pile of work and family obligations right now, so I won't be reading through this until that's done...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):