This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Best Coppelia Ever...

OK, I know Coppelia's time has come and gone, and we've moved on to bigger and better things, but I hope I'll be forgiven for sharing with you all my very favorite production of Coppelia [sic], which has been playing every day this summer (and many summers before) at the corner of 9th Avenue and 48th Street.

coppelia.jpg

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: Manhattnik ]

A friend of mine taught Benesh notation at the ballet school in Havana back in the 70s. (Yes, I got lots of interesting tidbits such as how Fidel, while attending a party at the Alonzos, was thrown fully clothed into the pool.) Anyway, she said that the big thing in Havana was to go to the Copelia (I think only 1 'p') for icecream. It was a big, famous icecream parlor there. I guess that's how this van got its name. Now we could go rechoreograph a bit of the ballet to include a dance with an icecream cone. :)

Thanks, Dale. Now we know why that misunderstanding happened :)

AND this thread has solved a longstanding Coppelia mystery -- now we know what Dr. C did with all the pay-off money! (Came to New York and opened an ice cream parlor. And you all thought he was a mean man :) )

A friend of mine taught Benesh notation at the ballet school in Havana back in the 70s. (Yes, I got lots of interesting tidbits such as how Fidel, while attending a party at the Alonzos, was thrown fully clothed into the pool.) Anyway, she said that the big thing in Havana was to go to the Copelia (I think only 1 'p') for icecream. It was a big, famous icecream parlor there. I guess that's how this van got its name. Now we could go rechoreograph a bit of the ballet to include a dance with an icecream cone. :)

An old thread, but I just discovered and had to add my two cents. Coppelia-(the ice cream parlor)-was, as we used to call it, The Ice Cream Cathedral. Back in the early 90's the lines went for hours to get in, but once you got seated you were up for masterpieces of ice cream. Yum!

Coppelia Ice Cream Parlor Havana. One of the entrances-(with the ballerina logo)

http://skynet.ohsu.edu/~hersh/cuba/coppelia.jpg

The second level

http://tommyimages.com/Stock_Photos/Caribbean/Cuba/Landmarks_and_Tourist_Attractions/slides/Cuba_0156-Coppelia_Ice_Cream_Parlour.jpg

Coppelia Ice Cream Parlor Miami.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3358/3309103825_f9299b3f7f.jpg

A Copelia ice cream store was opened in Miami by some of the Cuban Copelia family after leaving Cuba.

Nope...Coppelia was builded under Castro's regimen, during the early 60's. I know the owners of the store in Miami. They just got inspired by the success of the one in Havana and decided to repeat it here-(with great success, BTW...). You can go there and order and seat with your ice cream on glass cups and old fashioned coke bottles. The feeling is very vintage-like, 50's soda fountain style. I love going there. :)