Balanchine, Broadway & BeyondMonday, 10/7 8:00 - St. Lukes Theater - 308 W 46 Street, NYC

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

I don't seem to find any mention of this event... (please delete if this post is redundant)... but I imagine there is interest in it from Ballet Alert folks...:

Dancers Over 40 presents a tribute to George Balanchine, and to an incredibly talented group of performers who worked with the master during his tenure at NYCB. DO40’s first-ever ballet event features Merrill Ashley, Vida Brown, John Clifford, Gene Gavin, Allegra Kent, Frank Ohman, Barbara Milberg Fisher, Bettijane Sills, Carol Sumner, Barbara Walczak and Patricia Wilde.

Extremely rare film and video clips will be shown, including, but not limited to, excerpts from the Zenobia Ballet, On Your Toes, Western Symphony 1st and 3rd movements (with Gene Gavin and Allegra Kent), Sanguinic, Square Dance and Divertimento #15, Fast Variation (featuring both Merrill Ashley and Patricia Wilde), Pulcinella (Carol Sumner), Raymonda Variation and Who Cares? (Bettijane Sills and Frank Ohman), and Divertissement from Midsummer Night’s Dream (Allegra Kent).

Dancers Over 40 - Balanchine: Broadway and Beyond Cast Members:

Merrill Ashley, Vida Brown, John Clifford, Gene Gavin, Allegra Kent, Frank Ohman, Barbara Milberg Fisher, Bettijane Sills, Carol Sumner, Barbara Walczak, Patricia Wilde with special guest Barbara Horgan, Director of the Balanchine Foundation.

Moderator Robert Greskovic, covers dance for The Wall Street Journal. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, where he is a free-lance writer; his Ballet 101: The Complete Guide To Learning and Loving the Ballet was published in 1998 by Hyperion. He has been writing about dance since 1972. He is Associate at Ballet Review, Consulting Editor for DanceView, and a moderator of the Videos and Ballet History topics on the website Ballettalk.com. He is New York correspondent for Dance International, dance essayist for Britannica Book of the Year, as well as New York correspondent for DanceMagazine,

Moderator Candice Agree, radio host 25+ years on the New York and Washington, D.C. airwaves, most notably at 96.3FM WQXR, 104 WNCN-FM and WETA-FM, and

Moderator Nancy Goldner, author of The Balanchine Variations

#2 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

abatt has now posted as well, with a link; a friend in NYC e-mailed me in between these two posts. From Chicago, this looks to be a less-publicized event, but as the theater seats 161, it may be no accident. Anybody pick up hints of live web coverage, or even radio? Am I envious? Who, me? Were I a New Yorker, I'd sure try to be there, prepared to take notes! Go, people!

#3 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

Dancers Over 40 usually posts these panels on their youtube channel.

#4 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

Moderator Robert Greskovic [ . . .] a moderator of the Videos and Ballet History topics on the website Ballettalk.com.

Ballettalk.com, eh? Posted Image Well, a few people trying to go to that non-existent site may eventually find this one.

#5 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

But today is Monday 10/8 !!??

#6 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Oops it is tonight. Sorry

#7 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

NB: the bungled bio attached to my name was not provided by me, it's a much out of date one and is incompletely posted in any case.
i wrote the DANCERS OVER 40 org. about this and it claims no responsibility.
i have no idea who thought to post the event with this info.

#8 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

Dancers Over 40 usually posts these panels on their youtube channel.

Now, why didn't I think of that? Thanks, Imspear. All the clips I found were under 20 minutes long, though, and a year or more old. Do they live stream, ever?

Moderator Robert Greskovic [ . . .] a moderator of the Videos and Ballet History topics on the website Ballettalk.com.

Ballettalk.com, eh? Posted Image Well, a few people trying to go to that non-existent site may eventually find this one.

If they Google it, or something; just entering that URL takes you an offer to buy it.

#9 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

I suspect the organization does not have much support staff, but am glad they decidd to put the event on all the same... Looking forard to your moderating, rg, despite the out of date bio...

#10 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Actually, what surprises me most is how little mention of this there has been, given the participants... Without facebook mentions, I wouldd have missed it. (until abatt posted),.

Someone on facebook who couldn't go was asking about youtube posting and the response was that the panel discussion would probably go up online but the rare film footage could not be put there.

Privacy on Facebook is such an odd thing... I heard Marcus Galante talking about the event.

#11 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

... the rate film footage ...

What does that phrase mean, please?

#12 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

... the rate film footage ...

What does that phrase mean, please?

rare, with typo :) (I assume!)

#13 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'm sorry, those were iPad fypos.... "Rare" film footage...

#14 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

"fypos"? Uh, oh, you're making this fumble-fingers think he did well to pass that technology on by!

But thanks, both of you, I thought it was some insider term about material "available to the trade" or some such. (It doesn't take much to confuse me sometimes.)

Anyway I looked on their YouTube channel at the time without seeing any streaming, but meanwhile I've heard from a friend who went who was very impressed - "This was one of the most amazing evenings ever" - but won't say anything about it so I can get the full effect by watching the tape at the Dance Collection...

I never knew of Dancers Over 40 before, and I look forward to browsing the video on their channel, at least some of which looks ballet-related, to judge by the thumbnail images.

Edited by Jack Reed, 10 October 2012 - 04:30 AM.

#15 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

my limited knowledge and information about the org. got slightly less limited at the event, but at one point the head noted, in his plea for membership or support, etc. was that members/supporters would have access to records of its events, video i presume, that went beyond what might be posted on youtube.
if i learn anything morespecific about any recording(s), or the like, from the event, i'll post here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):