kbarber

Roberto Bolle

10 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting the above link, kbarber. Bolle posted some photos on his twitter page of his recent performace w. Veronika Part at the opening night at the LA Philharmonic. They look so good together. It's a shame that ABT has not cast them as partners for so many years.

I believe they are dancing together on October 20th at 8:00 pm at New York City Center in the new Alexei Ratmansky ballet.

I believe they are dancing together on October 20th at 8:00 pm at New York City Center in the new Alexei Ratmansky ballet.

Yes. also Friday the 19th.

Thanks. I was thinking about the full length ballets at the Met. The Bolle/Part SL of a few years ago was among the best I've seen, but then they were never re-united in subsequent years. I will be seeing them at the Oct 20 performance at City Center.

For all of you Roberto Bolle fans, his publicist forwarded his schedule for the remainder of 2013:

ROBERTO BOLLE’S ENGAGEMENTS FOR CALENDAR YEAR 2013

MAY

From May 1 to May 12: NYC Rehearsals ABT

May 13 Opening Gala night Met

May 14: Onegin first performance Met

May 16: Onegin, Met

May 15and from 17 to 20: NYC Rehearsals ABT

May 21,22: a Month in the Country Met

Forom 23 to 31: NYC Rehearsals ABT

JUNE

June 1, 3:ALEXEI Met

From June 4 to 14: NYC Rehearsals ABT

June 15: Romeo and Juliet Met

From 17 to 24: NYC Rehearsals ABT

25: Sylvia Met

26,27: NYC Rehearsals ABT

28: Sylvia Met

JULY

19: Roberto Bolle and Friends MANTOVA

21,22: Roberto Bolle and Friends ROMA TERME DI CARACALLA

24: Roberto Bolle and Friends FIESOLE

26: Roberto Bolle and Friends TAORMINA

SEPTEMBER

17 Roberto Bolle and Friends, New York City Center,

24-28 Shanghai

OCTOBER/ NOVEMBRE

From October 29 to November 6: Rehearsals Milano, Teatro la Scala

7, 8, 12: Histoire de Manon, Milano, Teatro la Scala

23 Roberto Bolle and Friends, Roma

DECEMBER

10,17,19,20: Serata Ratmansky, Milano, Teatro la Scala

Thanks for posting that schedule. Looks like he'll skip the fall ABT season the first two weeks of November. He did participate in the City Center season in fall 2012, so this is a disappointment.

I just received a promotional e-mail regarding Bolle's evening at City Center September 17. They describe one piece, "Prototype," by Volpino, as a "ground-breaking work combining both video and dance as Roberto Bolle duels his virtual double." (I don't see that language on the City Center site just yet... http://www.nycitycenter.org/tickets/productionnew.aspx?performanceNumber=7440

http://www.nycitycenter.org/content/misc/RobertoBolle-13a.pdf

It does sound interesting, and I wish I could see it, but they must think we're all stupid with short memories. Just a few years ago, Baryshnikov toured extensively with a piece by Millepied, "Years Later," which featured old video of Baryshnikov with today's edition dancing in front. I saw it in Santa Monica, and it was delightful. Here's a NY Times report from May 14, 2009:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/arts/dance/17laro.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I don't see a date on the Volpino piece. Do we know which came first? Has anyone seen the Volpino, which is described as an American premiere?

Don't get me wrong - I love Roberto Bolle as a dancer. He's one of the dancers I look for in deciding which Met programs to see, and I own several of his DVDs from La Scala. I'm just skeptical of that marketing promo for one work and I wonder which came first, "Prototype" or "Years Later." Baryshnikov toured that program extensively for a few years, both in the U.S. and Europe, as well as Israel. So there were plenty of opportunities for others to see it.