This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mark Morris in Seattle

I was kind of hoping for Rob Besserer.

It's definitely sold out: On the Boards announced this to their email list last week. All tickets have to be picked up at the box office no earlier than one hour day of show. If there's extra security, I doubt there will be scalpels hanging around the theater. I suspect they'd have to advertise, pick up the ticket, and do the hand-off at Pagliacci's Pizza.

On the Boards just sent out the press release -- Baryshnikov will indeed be performing here in the new work, and also in Florida and in the company's April dates. Here's part of the release.

(Brooklyn, NY) – The latest work from Mark Morris will make its world premiere on Thursday, October 4, 2012 in Morris’s hometown of Seattle, Washington at On the Boards. A Wooden Tree is set to music and words by Ivor Cutler (1923 – 2006), a Scottish poet, singer, songwriter and humorist. The dance includes Cutler works “Cockadoodledon’t,” “Beautiful Cosmos,” “Rubber Toy,” “I Got No Common Sense,” and more.

Performing with the Dance Group will be Mikhail Baryshnikov, who has danced previously with the company, including Mr. Morris’s The Argument which premiered in February 1999 at Boston’s Wang Center and then at the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM). The On the Boards program also includes Mr. Morris’s The Muir, Petrichor, and Grand Duo.

The following week, October 10 - 13, A Wooden Tree will be presented at the 2012 Ringling International Arts Festival (RIAF), Sarasota, Florida where Mr. Baryshnikov will again perform in the new work. That engagement includes Mr. Morris’s Canonic ¾ Studies, Silhouettes, and Grand Duo. The Festival programming is curated under the artistic direction of the Baryshnikov Arts Center. Then, in April 2013 (dates and additional program TBA), the new work with Baryshnikov will make its New York City premiere at the Mark Morris Dance Center, Brooklyn, NY.

A Wooden Tree is performed by eight dancers. Costume design by Elizabeth Kurtzman; lighting design by Michael Chybowski.

As I understand it, there are still a few tickets available for the Florida performances.