Skorik

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#31 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

Does anyone know why he is "acting AD"? Are they searching for someone else who will be permanent or waiting to see how he does in his position before making him permanent?

I am not sure a "leader" should come right out and single one person out in an interview as the first person who should get more opportunities, unless it was someone everyone is talking about all over the world as the most exciting dancer to ever appear at the Mariinsky. I think he should have simply named some of the names like he did afterward. Why would he name Skorik first of all? He probably knows about all the controversy, and that makes me think he named her first and foremost as a challenge. He seems determined to prove she has what it takes. This sounds like it is all about him, not her. I think it is cruel to put an unprepared dancer on one of the world's stages and let us balletomanes pounce on her like wolves! Maybe he thinks we shouldn't, but we do, and opera lovers pounce on new singers who make mistake after mistake. It is the way of the world. I am starting to believe this is a power trip on his part.

Just wanted to answer Birdsall's question. No, the theatre is not looking for another director for the ballet troupe, nor will they. In fact, Vasiev's position was "Zavedushi" (head) of the ballet troupe, as was Vinogradov's. Fateyev's is "deputy head" but an interim or deputy director can be present for a very long "interim" and that is what everyone expects to happen.

I was surprised at the Berkeley performances how much clout the American audiences give to the printed programs. In this case, the printed literature (at least at the Berkeley stop - I haven't seen LA or DC programs so cannot comment on those) should not be taken as bible. In the case of Berkeley's programs, the list of 'Principals' bears no relation to the actual ranking of the dancers in the Mariinsky. Rather the rankings were listed in order to back up the casting decisions, not the other way around. Example: we have Kolegova and Skorik listed as principals alongside Sergeyev and Zuizin. Inside the Mariinsky they are all soloists of various levels. Perhaps a fine distinction but a difference nonetheless. Further, alllll of the men are listed as Coryphees, and all the other women as Soloists. Make of it what you will.

To boot, Konstantin Sergeyev's position was also never "artistic director', although I'm sure tour programs listed him as such. So, technically speaking the company has not had an "artistic director" that I am aware of (at least not according to official files - again, tour programs may be written differently for easier understanding by the foreign public). Gergiev wields the power and decides who, under him will "run" the ballet. His subordinates in any case answer to him and that point is one that shouldn't be overlooked.

#32 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Maybe the program was compiled and the clerk who was in charge of formatting and printing the programs out in Berkeley messed it up. Or do you think that was a Mariinsky decision to rank dancers differently in the program?

Hypothetically, can it be concluded that if an ultra wealthy donor wanted a dancer to move up the ranks and promised big donations in return Gergiev might order Fateyev to promote certain dancers? Just asking out of curiosity. I guess what I am asking is not whether that's possible (anything is possible in this world), but is it probable?

#33 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

Hypothetically, can it be concluded that if an ultra wealthy donor wanted a dancer to move up the ranks and promised big donations in return Gergiev might order Fateyev to promote certain dancers? Just asking out of curiosity. I guess what I am asking is not whether that's possible (anything is possible in this world), but is it probable?

Yes.

#34 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

Yes.

Mashinka is spot-on. It can even happen not just for promos but to add a dancer to the corps de ballet because of commercial backing.

#35 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

I guess that is how it works everywhere to varying degrees. It is often who you know or what extras you bring to the table rather than just pure talent. Sad.

#36 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

I guess that is how it works everywhere to varying degrees. It is often who you know or what extras you bring to the table rather than just pure talent. Sad.

Right now my mind wanders in times and places..and videos, trying to guess who could had been an earlier case...

#37 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

Right now my mind wanders in times and places..and videos, trying to guess who could had been an earlier case...

That might be a good discussion for a whole topic all on its own!!!!

#38 Solnishka79

Solnishka79

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

I've seen this in the programs at the Kennedy Center also. I saw Le Corsaire several years back and they had Novikova (She was only coryphee at the time) as a Principal and T. Tkachenko also as a principal. I think they look at who is dancing principal roles on that tour and then go from there.

#39 Tiara

Tiara

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

And especially sad when as a result the genuinely talented are overlooked.

#40 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Indeed, Birdsall. Unfortunately, in some locales (not the USA, that I am aware), the "extras" that must be brought to the table are in the form of CA$H. I have worked in countries so corrupt that jobs inside Customs ministries or agencies must be bought, the 'rationale' being that once the employee lands a job in customs, s/he can write her/his own ticket in 'earnings.'

#41 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

And especially sad when as a result the genuinely talented are overlooked.

I can imagine that some of the dancers in the corps and other ranks who seem to be stuck get very discouraged. I have seen Svetlana Ivanova in The Young Lady and the Hooligan and loved her and was not really aware of her. I just use that person as an example. She seemed like an amazing dancer and actress just seeing her once. She's not really a superstar b/c I looked and saw she is a Coryphee! The Mariinsky site says she joined the Mariinsky in 1993. In about a year she will have been with the company for 20 years and only reached the rank of a Coryphee! That amazes me! Maybe a dancer can be happy at that ranking if she has a full life with a wonderful family, etc (I don't know anything about her), but it amazes me how some shoot up the ranks so quickly while others seem forgotten. Maybe this happens everywhere. But for talented dancers it must seem so unjust at times.

#42 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

.....Svetlana Ivanova .....a Coryphee! The Mariinsky site says she joined the Mariinsky in 1993. ....

Ivanova graduated in 1996, in the class of Inna Zubkovskaya (along with Tatyana Nekipelova-Bazhitova, another choryphee). So she is not quite as old as the MT webside would have you believe. :) Still, you make a good point.

#43 Tiara

Tiara

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

I agree it's all too easy for talented dancers to stagnate in the murky depths of the Mariinsky ranking system. Another coryphee I like myself is Xenia Ostreikovskaya, just three years younger than Ivanova, and a lovely pure classical ballerina who I think could have progressed further than she did. In the Gergiev/Fateyev regime, it seems the motto is "Life is not Fair," unless a dancer is one of the favoured, privileged few, and then the motto is "I Can Do No Wrong."

#44 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

We all know life is unfair, and I think we might be okay with some going up the ranks faster than others more deserving (afterall, artistry is a subjective thing....I will think one dancer deserving while someone else will disagree).....but I think we'd be happier if the flight up were not like a speeding train for some while the others are left behind for so long.

#45 Tiara

Tiara

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

We all know life is unfair, and I think we might be okay with some going up the ranks faster than others more deserving (afterall, artistry is a subjective thing....I will think one dancer deserving while someone else will disagree).....but I think we'd be happier if the flight up were not like a speeding train for some while the others are left behind for so long.

Exactly! I can think of some appropriate proverbs here ... "He who pays the piper calls the tune" or "Never look a gift horse in the mouth."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):