443 replies to this topic

#421 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

I don't think there are more than a handful of AD's around whose judgement isn't scrutinized and disparaged. The question was why Skorik is cast. The answer is that the person in charge of determining what is presented to the public has cast her. She also had the luck to be in the right place at a time when several of the ballerinas with the company were on maternity leave. I also thing that AD's like to promote young dancers for whom they can take credit.

#422 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,260 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Definitely, Helene.  I have witnessed in this very forum disagreements about Martins's tenure, or Hubbe... and Alonso was legendary for decades at stopping ballerinas to be rightfully promoted, but...this worldly exposure of Skorik's badness I think is a very isolated case.  I don't think such thing has happened before to such extent AND in such iconic territory AND with such ample exposure.  I mean...how many videos of a Prima of any company-(past or present)- focusing on her lack of technique are floating around the net...? And if there's the argument of Youtube being just a recent fixture...how many cases ballerinas, past or present, can have any similarity to what's going on with Skorik in terms of audience's public uproar..?

I do believe that, even if AD's being questioned is an old thing, Skorik's case scenario is the first of such.

#423 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

I think Somova was the first, and she was pushed by Fateev's predecessor, Makhar Vaziev, who was attempting to follow a misunderstanding of a "Western" aesthetic. (If he thought it would appeal to the West during a time when there was no money and constant touring, he was mistaken: the West wants to see the "same-old" from the Mariinsky.)

#424 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,260 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

You're right, Helene.  Somova's ordeal preceded that of Skorik.  But I think Somova's badness exposure focused more on her exaggerated extensions rather than lack of technique.  Skorik went beyond Somova's point on that matter.

#425 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

Somova had some big technical weaknesses when she started, like her feet and losing alignment in her big side extensions. Having seen her at City Center in 2008 in "Ballet Imperial," from an interpretive standpoint, she did some lovely, lyrical work in this neoclassical piece and had a strong start, but then she got a dear-in-the-headlights look mid-way through, as if she wasn't sure what she wanted to do with it.

Over time, Skorik might get stronger. Of course it's ideal when a dancer is allowed to move up the ranks from strength to strength, and, if given a stretch role, is within reach of it.

#426 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,260 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

I suspect we will witness Skorik's promotion to Principal instead. I wish Fateev would still have a sudden flash of common sense and leave her where she is. This "beautiful ballet tragedy" needs to have a quiet, decent ending.

#427 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

In quick reference to Alina Somova, several years ago at a Mariinsky Festival, I saw an elderly lady, who looked like she could barely afford the ticket, with tears in her eyes after Alina Somova had performed. I totally sympathized with her appreciation and will probably not forget her.

Added thought:

In similar regard to Oxana Skorik, sometimes something more than the perfection of the performance can come into play.

#428 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

Since we are here could I please mention one other quality in the Legend of Love video. Alina Somova in this performance seems a bit more expansive with long lines, which I really like. Oxana Skorik, who is also very capable of this, is less expansive but has such a beautifully lyrical motion in this containment. 

#429 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

If you want to make a side by side comparison of what I've mentioned in the post above, 1:30:00 into the video might be a good place.

I've been watching the Legend of Love video quite closely and it continues to be highly interesting. Oxana Skorik seems to evolve in posted videos. Perhaps she's 'maturing' or 'settling in'. For me, it's a subtle transformation, but a revealing and fascinating one, which is why I continue to comment here.

I've noticed another basic facet in her stage persona, echoed in the beauty of her dance. There is an essential 'Niceness' to it. No matter how intense her character, Giselle in the 'mad' scene or Mekhmeneh Bahnu (Legend of Love), she seems to rein it in. She commits herself to someone that she can personally identify with, a very nice, perhaps innocent, young woman. Her characters are very interestingly and distinctly, but subtly, constructed. I think that it's brilliant and touching and reflects in the loveliness of her overall performance. I'll continue to watch for this and see if my perception is somewhat correct and meaningful.   

#430 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,260 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

I wonder if she has learned to do fouettes since the last-(and first and only)-time I saw her going completely out of control and almost falling after 12 Odile's...

#431 amiaow

amiaow

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

There is plenty of video evidence of Skorik doing plenty of successful fouettes.

#432 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am quite a fresh fan/ballet goer (in the middle of my second season) and I am only learning what to appreciate in ballet dancing except for the overall feeling of awe I get to experience quite often. My two favourites so far, Alban Lendorf and Susanne Grinder in Neumeiers lady of the Camellias and NYCB with their Balanchine guest performance (4 April cast) both left me mesmerised and speechless.

Hello NATinCPH and welcome to the forum. I'm unable to PM you, so I apologize to everyone else for using the Skorik forum to let you know I'm bringing a group of ballet lovers to CPH in March (can't wait to see Alban LEndorf in Manon!!) and would love to meet up with you. You can email me at toursenlair@gmail.com

#433 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,260 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:50 AM

There is plenty of video evidence of Skorik doing plenty of successful fouettes.

Oh...so she's advancing....that's good news indeed.!

#434 NATinCPH

NATinCPH

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am quite a fresh fan/ballet goer (in the middle of my second season) and I am only learning what to appreciate in ballet dancing except for the overall feeling of awe I get to experience quite often. My two favourites so far, Alban Lendorf and Susanne Grinder in Neumeiers lady of the Camellias and NYCB with their Balanchine guest performance (4 April cast) both left me mesmerised and speechless.

Hello NATinCPH and welcome to the forum. I'm unable to PM you, so I apologize to everyone else for using the Skorik forum to let you know I'm bringing a group of ballet lovers to CPH in March (can't wait to see Alban LEndorf in Manon!!) and would love to meet up with you. You can email me at toursenlair@gmail.com

I can only say you are doing the right thing!:-) going to see Manon this Sunday and cannot wait. Will email you later today!

#435 Balletfreak

Balletfreak

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

This promotion is terrible news. A First Soloist should not be "hot or cold."

Agreed. What Skorik lacks is consistency, and personally I think she is terribly unmusical. And yes, her first solo performances were a complete disgrace.

However, I must say she has improved greatly during the past two years. Her acting and stage presence is much better and there is far less stumbling and hopping around. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):