This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Skorik

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#406 NATinCPH

NATinCPH

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:54 AM

You did not at all.  You expressed your opinion, and your disappointment about that performance is completely valid to express here.  It's always a privilege when a major company visits, but in return for the respect we give the companies, we expect a minimum standard, and, to an extent, to not have to worry about who is cast.  Sadly, our expectations aren't always met, especially when a dancer proves to be polarizing (or, at the other end of the spectrum, relatively dull).

I hope you will tell us about what you see in Moscow.  (If you're an opera fan, too, and get to see one while you are there, we'd love to hear about it in our "Other Performing Arts" forum.

Great to hear, I was not sure how to interpret your answer for a moment;-).

I will report from Moscow - no opera feedback from me though, sorry! Once again, happy to have found such an amazing collection of resources and ballet fans.

#407 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:54 AM

Remember that , not only are dancers important, but the ballets. In some cases, if you do not like the ballet or the music, it makes no difference who is dancing.

#408 NATinCPH

NATinCPH

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

Oh I know. I threw myself into ballet with checking out one performance and then securing tickets for all other performances of the season (and doing the same for the current one). There are definitely ballets that do not speak to me, but as I want to explore, I just accept it as a learning curve. There is always something beautiful and touching to appreciate, or at least I try to find it. Thank you, tamicutethanks.GIF

Going to see Napoli today (this season's premiere) with Alban Lendorf as Gennaro - can't wait!

#409 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:05 AM

Oh I know. I threw myself into ballet with checking out one performance and then securing tickets for all other performances of the season (and doing the same for the current one). There are definitely ballets that do not speak to me, but as I want to explore, I just accept it as a learning curve. There is always something beautiful and touching to appreciate, or at least I try to find it. Thank you, tamicutethanks.GIF

Going to see Napoli today (this season's premiere) with Alban Lendorf as Gennaro - can't wait!

You will love Napoli.

#410 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

Yes...Napoli will do it for you I'm sure...

#411 NATinCPH

NATinCPH

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

Yes...Napoli will do it for you I'm sure...

Oh it did! And not just because of the sailors! innocent.gif

#412 Plisskin

Plisskin

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

Debut of Skorik as Mekhmeneh in Legend of Love:

#413 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Thanks, Plisskin.

This is a great chance to see Oxana Skorik and Alina Somova together. For me, they have many remarkable parallels that can be studied and enjoyed here. 

After one viewing, Oxana Skorik's solo (at 35:00) is very compelling. For one thing, it shows in a very subtle way, her power and multi-dimensionality of portrayal. Again she goes deep inside herself and gives us something fascinating and completely her own. She reminds me of Veronika Part (ABT, formerly Mariinsky) is her ability to do this. Later in the video Alina Somova displays a similar depth and dimension.

Their dancing is extremely fine. In one instance, Oxana Skorik just floats. Alina Somova puts her well known flexibility to use in such a poetically restrained and artistically beautiful manner. I look forward to watching all this more carefully. 

Having never seen this work before, after one complete viewing of the video, I have lots of thoughts. There is depth, invention and beauty with enough room for personal interpretation to make it something that I would like to become more familiar with.

#414 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

A few more thoughts about the Legend of Love video posted above.

Oxana Skorik 

Subtlety

This is what I'm noticing more and more about Oxana Skorik. I've seen her perform with mind boggling bursts of expression. Now she is more quiet, more refined, perhaps the difference between Mozart (refined) and Bach (powerful). The depth, power, and range of interest are there, but they're tempered with sensitive intricacies of feeling.

Naturalness

This is also becoming more apparent in her expression and portrayal. She seems to be living her character. In doing so she knowingly fine tunes her emotions, thus the subtlety. She is real. Her dance extends and is integral with this. In this respect she looks comfortable and at home.  

#415 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

The only obvious trait of Skorik is that she is the most puzzling enigma in Russian ballet history. Why has this no talent ballerina been made a star? Skorik was star of the movie, "A Beautiful Tragedy", but Skorik clearly is the Tragedy of Mariinsky Ballet, a disgrace to the name Mariinsky.

#416 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,275 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

There's no puzzle.  It is as simple as being in the right place at the right time favored by the right people.  It is just very sad that a whole company is being discredited by such actions...

#417 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

There's no puzzle.  It is as simple as being in the right place at the right time favored by the right people.  It is just very sad that a whole company is being discredited by such actions...

Unfortunately, you are correct that it is entirely due to being wrongly favored by someone high up.

#418 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if the Acting AD started to feature her in solo parts, and when criticized, thought he had to prove everyone wrong by pushing her even further.  Maybe with the right match for a coach, she could develop, in the same way that Somova has developed. 

#419 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

If she's impressed Fateev, he has every right to cast her: it's his job. 

#420 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,275 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

It is his job and his right, given, to do as he pleases, but...history-(and not only ballet's)-is full of case scenarios where "rightful" decision were-(are)-endlessly questioned when outcomes are just too much to witness or accept. Given, Skorik is dancing right now all she wants under her powerful tutelage, but given also that this is being exposed to the whole world as the decline of the company. It is not a win-win situation. Both Skorik and Fateev are destroying a legendary symbol. And yes...this is all "legal".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):