• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

#16 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

Part, like some other ballerinas in the past, REALLY had to work hard to be where she is. I'm sure she had to deliver countless nights of good stuff besides her "off nights" in order to convince AD's AND the audience tu put her where she is. She completely deserves to be the well liked ballerina that she is today because she has shown a whole career to account for. Personally I would never dare to have an absolute opinion on her whole trajectory based on the couple of "off night" performances I saw of her-(Sugar Plum and Lilac)-because obviously there has been much more than that, for which I can account also based on her Nikiya, which I also saw. But that's not the case of Skorik and her catapulted undeserved promotion in such early stage of her career. I also remember Krassovska's comment on the BR documentary about Danilova and the fact that the fouettes "were not her cup of tea", but then, just as some of these examples of less than perfect technique bearers, by the time Krassovska saw her, Danilova had created a name and a respected position within the ballet world that could justify her lack of certain abilities. Again, that's not the case of Skorik, or before her, Somova for all that matters.

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

This promotion is terrible news. A First Soloist should not be "hot or cold." .....

Amen. And besides...I'm really sick and tired of the idea of dancers-(rather than Ballerinas)- that are said to be "wonderful" but then they can't deliver proper technique-(yes, 32 fouetes for Odile and Kitri included...sustained balances for Auroras and soaring jumps for Myrthas). ..... That differentiation happened in that very imperial stage now Skorik attempts to walk thru...

Fateev obviously thinks that the American public will go gah-gah over Skorik's long legs, so she opens the run in LA/OC this week. (Maybe he is counting on the L.A. area not being 'ballet savvy' in is mind? Maybe Fateev thinks that the US public wants Rockettes?) He (& Vaziyev before him) thought the same with Somova before and is banking on the same for Keenan Kampa, although I think that Kampa's technique will prove stronger than Skorik's, from the bits I've seen.

Even before Vaziyev, Vinogradov went through a 'let's find our own Sylvie Guillem' phase. One very great long-legged ballerina came out of that search: Lopatkina. Of course, Lopatkina had/has much more to offer than long lines.

#18 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:47 AM

I've seen Skorik once as Dryad Queen in London and my reaction to her was blind fury that she was actually allowed on stage at all. I will take all measures possible to avoid her performances in future.

#19 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,160 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

I've seen Skorik once as Dryad Queen in London and my reaction to her was blind fury that she was actually allowed on stage at all. I will take all measures possible to avoid her performances in future.

I love your boldness...Posted Image (taking notes on the straight forward technique here and now..Posted Image )

#20 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:13 AM

Christian, when I really care about something I rarely mince words and right now I'm pretty angry about how certain Kirov policies are leading to an artistic race to the bottom.

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:41 AM

A new interview of 'acting' AD Yuri Fateev, by reporter Anna Gordeeva, appeared today in the Russian publication 'Colta' (issue of 2 October 2012)-
http://www.colta.ru/docs/6450 A bit of the gist of the interview; my own thoughts in italics.

Among other quotable gems, Fateev describes what were his feelings this August when, one after another, three ballerinas went into his office to announce their respecive pregnancies (Terioshkiva, Matvienka, Somova). The most telling quote, perhaps, comes in the follow-up question, when asked, 'So now, how will you cope with this situation?' At the very beginning of his answer: "More opportunities for Oksana Skorik..." [The very first name out of his mouth!] Others names, who will get to dance more, were cited in this order: Kondaurova, Novikova, Osmolkina and Kolegova. [Pavlenko, Golub, Tkachenko, or recently-promoted Martynyuk not mentioned...nor, interestingly, Shirinkina.]Then Fateev said that he has been in negotiations with Svetlana Zakharova to dance a series of performances in StP [no mention at all of the other Bolshoi principal who HAS SIGNED UP ALREADY to appear as guest Giselle and Juliet: Obraztsova! Somehow this makes me think of an abused wife who keeps going back to abusive husband...]. Finally, he said that he is working on convincing Lopatkina and Vishneva to appear more in Petersburg this season. [Huh???? Since when has Lopatkina not made herself available to dance at home?]

The last Q in the interview is about his perpetual "Acting A.D." title..."Does this make you worried?" the inteviewer asks. "Not in the least...everything is temporal. I remember that I am only 'acting AD' when interviewers ask me about it."

The first half of the interview is mainly about the new rep, i.e., Fateev calls Lifar's Suite en Blanc "...the most important 'ballet blanc of the mid-20thC...." [So topping Symph in C and Etudes?] He also mentioned that he plans to institute a sort of 'choreography lab' with performances of works by Mariinsky dancers who are new to choreography..."...and I am not referring to Yuri Smekalov, who is not a newcomer to choreography..." He also mentioned that several students currently attending the Vaganova Academy have shown great promise as choreographers, most notably a young lad named Fokine, who is no relation to THE Fokine but whose creativity 'brings us full circle in 100 years.' Fateev expressed sadness at not being able to attend the next Vaganova Academy workshop this month, as he must be in the USA with the main troupe.

#22 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:17 AM

Does anyone know why he is "acting AD"? Are they searching for someone else who will be permanent or waiting to see how he does in his position before making him permanent?

I am not sure a "leader" should come right out and single one person out in an interview as the first person who should get more opportunities, unless it was someone everyone is talking about all over the world as the most exciting dancer to ever appear at the Mariinsky. I think he should have simply named some of the names like he did afterward. Why would he name Skorik first of all? He probably knows about all the controversy, and that makes me think he named her first and foremost as a challenge. He seems determined to prove she has what it takes. This sounds like it is all about him, not her. I think it is cruel to put an unprepared dancer on one of the world's stages and let us balletomanes pounce on her like wolves! Maybe he thinks we shouldn't, but we do, and opera lovers pounce on new singers who make mistake after mistake. It is the way of the world. I am starting to believe this is a power trip on his part.

#23 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Birdsall, in this interview he says that's just how it is and it won't change (the 'acting' part of his title). It seemed as if he doesn't care and knows that it won't change. This must be Gergiev's policy, I am guessing, i.e., there is only one Director and all others beneath him are 'acting'?

re. 'Power Trip' - hmmm...you may be onto something. Seems like it now. To me, the exclusion of Lopatkina gives me even greater concern than the elevation of Skorik. Lopatkina does 'the Baltics and Siberia Tour' while others go to California...performing HER signature ballet, no less?

#24 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

I guess today is the day, I believe, that we may hear reports (maybe not until tomorrow morning) from California whether Skorik can show her naysayers what she can do. Looking from a human perspective I hope for her sake she has improved. I still think Fateyev is cruel to push her before the public in high profile assignments knowing the controversy that surrounds her. I think he should give her more soloist roles that are not the lead role. Once she proves herself in those roles over and over, then give her Odette, but this is like throwing her to the wolves. Maybe he has a sadistic streak! Or maybe he is determined to prove he is right and everyone else is wrong. Who knows?

#25 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,160 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

The damage has been done to Skorik anyway, just as it was with Somova earlier by such too early promotions. For Skorik to break the image of the incapable dancer will take wonders. Has Somova succeeded in doing so...? I don't think so.

#26 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

.... Has Somova succeeded in doing so...? I don't think so.

We wish her many blessings and happiness as a mother. (Also Terioshkina and Matvienka...and Selina!)

#27 trieste

trieste

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

Somova has improved vastly under her new coach, both in artistry and technique. The fact is that not many dancers (or actors, musicians, singers, painters, writers) can give a mature performance at 20. Those such as Guillem and Smirnova are the exception, but it seems ADs are eager to replicate that sort of rise artificially, which is bizarre and cruel. Honestly, when I watch videos of Skorik, she seems terrified, and nerves can ruin much more naturally gifted performers. Skorik is a symptom of the cancer at the Mariinsky, not the disease itself, and shouldn't be attacked as such. She's a young artist with her whole career ahead of her.

#28 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

Somova is, what, 27 now? She has barely improved IMO because her BASICS aren't there, beginning with turn out. Skorik has been hot & cold, sometimes terrible because of nerves (her first GISELLE, tech errors in other ballets, tension in facial expression when nervous) but she has the BASICS as well as a beautful line...but not klutzy-long like Somova. I hope that yesterday's opening night in Costa Mesa went well for Skorik who indeed has the potential and BASICS to be great, if she can control her nerves.

#29 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

So now that the California (Swan Lake) legs -- no pun intended -- of the Ardani tour are over, is there a consensus on how Skorik fared? It's really hard to tell in reading everyone's reports - just as 'hot or cold' as I've experienced in the past. She seems to be improving, on the whole.

#30 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

re. 'Power Trip' - hmmm...you may be onto something. Seems like it now. To me, the exclusion of Lopatkina gives me even greater concern than the elevation of Skorik. Lopatkina does 'the Baltics and Siberia Tour' while others go to California...performing HER signature ballet, no less?

I get the opposite feeling: that Lopatkina has so much clout she can 'opt-out' of a foreign tour as she wishes. I think she would rather be close to home, anyway. Compared to Vishneva, who actively seeks out opportunities outside of Russia, Lopatkina has been happy to stick with what she has, and seems quite unconcerned with becoming an international performer. She always struck me as being fairly humble, and not intensely ambitious regarding her career. She has certainly done well for herself in Russia. Perhaps that is enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):