This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

For a giggle: Spellchecker vs. Fokine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

I recently ran my spellchecker over a course I was preparing about the Ballets Russes (or the Ballets Wusses, as the spellchecker would have preferred). For the hilarious results, please see my blog post.

#2 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

"for Bronislava Nijinska: bronchitis hijinks" Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

a friend noted at one point that Rudolf Nureyev was Rudolf Nervy
and Margot Fonteyn was Magot Fountain.

#4 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

CHOICE!!

Ballets Wusses is REALLY good.

#5 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

wonderful! I love it! Oh, for a good laugh! :) Thank you!

-d-

#6 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

You're welcome. Yeah, they cracked me up too. I feel sorry for anyone who works in communications for the "Camembert Dance Company"!

#7 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

Katherine, this is such a delightful post; and god know, spell-check has done horrible things to me. But I DID have a live editor once change "pointe shoes" to "pointed shoes," I am not making this up, and asymetrical became symmetrical somehow once it was out of my hands.... Worse than that, but I won't go into it.

#8 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

Katherine, this is such a delightful post; and god know, spell-check has done horrible things to me. But I DID have a live editor once change "pointe shoes" to "pointed shoes," I am not making this up, and asymetrical became symmetrical somehow once it was out of my hands.... Worse than that, but I won't go into it.

Asymmetrical...symmetrical... aren't they the same thing? Posted Image Surely what you meant was "a symmetrical"! I saw "Pointy shoes" in the Toronto Star once, but I don't know whether the original writer, the copy editor, or the spellchecker was to blame.

#9 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

But I DID have a live editor once change "pointe shoes" to "pointed shoes,"

I interviewed a teacher whose audition notice in a small paper asking dancers to bring their pointe shoes was "corrected" by a well-meaning copy editor, but my favorite example is from a Portland, Oregon paper which changed a mention of German expressionist soloist Mary Wigman into Mary Wigwam.

#10 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

Mary Wigwam!! :D Oh, my!!!

-d-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):