This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

For a giggle: Spellchecker vs. Fokine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

I recently ran my spellchecker over a course I was preparing about the Ballets Russes (or the Ballets Wusses, as the spellchecker would have preferred). For the hilarious results, please see my blog post.

#2 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

"for Bronislava Nijinska: bronchitis hijinks" Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

a friend noted at one point that Rudolf Nureyev was Rudolf Nervy
and Margot Fonteyn was Magot Fountain.

#4 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

CHOICE!!

Ballets Wusses is REALLY good.

#5 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

wonderful! I love it! Oh, for a good laugh! :) Thank you!

-d-

#6 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

You're welcome. Yeah, they cracked me up too. I feel sorry for anyone who works in communications for the "Camembert Dance Company"!

#7 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

Katherine, this is such a delightful post; and god know, spell-check has done horrible things to me. But I DID have a live editor once change "pointe shoes" to "pointed shoes," I am not making this up, and asymetrical became symmetrical somehow once it was out of my hands.... Worse than that, but I won't go into it.

#8 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

Katherine, this is such a delightful post; and god know, spell-check has done horrible things to me. But I DID have a live editor once change "pointe shoes" to "pointed shoes," I am not making this up, and asymetrical became symmetrical somehow once it was out of my hands.... Worse than that, but I won't go into it.

Asymmetrical...symmetrical... aren't they the same thing? Posted Image Surely what you meant was "a symmetrical"! I saw "Pointy shoes" in the Toronto Star once, but I don't know whether the original writer, the copy editor, or the spellchecker was to blame.

#9 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

But I DID have a live editor once change "pointe shoes" to "pointed shoes,"

I interviewed a teacher whose audition notice in a small paper asking dancers to bring their pointe shoes was "corrected" by a well-meaning copy editor, but my favorite example is from a Portland, Oregon paper which changed a mention of German expressionist soloist Mary Wigman into Mary Wigwam.

#10 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

Mary Wigwam!! :D Oh, my!!!

-d-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):