kbarber

For a giggle: Spellchecker vs. Fokine

10 posts in this topic

I recently ran my spellchecker over a course I was preparing about the Ballets Russes (or the Ballets Wusses, as the spellchecker would have preferred). For the hilarious results, please see my blog post.

a friend noted at one point that Rudolf Nureyev was Rudolf Nervy

and Margot Fonteyn was Magot Fountain.

You're welcome. Yeah, they cracked me up too. I feel sorry for anyone who works in communications for the "Camembert Dance Company"!

Katherine, this is such a delightful post; and god know, spell-check has done horrible things to me. But I DID have a live editor once change "pointe shoes" to "pointed shoes," I am not making this up, and asymetrical became symmetrical somehow once it was out of my hands.... Worse than that, but I won't go into it.

Katherine, this is such a delightful post; and god know, spell-check has done horrible things to me. But I DID have a live editor once change "pointe shoes" to "pointed shoes," I am not making this up, and asymetrical became symmetrical somehow once it was out of my hands.... Worse than that, but I won't go into it.

Asymmetrical...symmetrical... aren't they the same thing? happy.png Surely what you meant was "a symmetrical"! I saw "Pointy shoes" in the Toronto Star once, but I don't know whether the original writer, the copy editor, or the spellchecker was to blame.

But I DID have a live editor once change "pointe shoes" to "pointed shoes,"

I interviewed a teacher whose audition notice in a small paper asking dancers to bring their pointe shoes was "corrected" by a well-meaning copy editor, but my favorite example is from a Portland, Oregon paper which changed a mention of German expressionist soloist Mary Wigman into Mary Wigwam.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead