This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

For a giggle: Spellchecker vs. Fokine

Katherine, this is such a delightful post; and god know, spell-check has done horrible things to me. But I DID have a live editor once change "pointe shoes" to "pointed shoes," I am not making this up, and asymetrical became symmetrical somehow once it was out of my hands.... Worse than that, but I won't go into it.

Katherine, this is such a delightful post; and god know, spell-check has done horrible things to me. But I DID have a live editor once change "pointe shoes" to "pointed shoes," I am not making this up, and asymetrical became symmetrical somehow once it was out of my hands.... Worse than that, but I won't go into it.

Asymmetrical...symmetrical... aren't they the same thing? happy.png Surely what you meant was "a symmetrical"! I saw "Pointy shoes" in the Toronto Star once, but I don't know whether the original writer, the copy editor, or the spellchecker was to blame.

But I DID have a live editor once change "pointe shoes" to "pointed shoes,"

I interviewed a teacher whose audition notice in a small paper asking dancers to bring their pointe shoes was "corrected" by a well-meaning copy editor, but my favorite example is from a Portland, Oregon paper which changed a mention of German expressionist soloist Mary Wigman into Mary Wigwam.