This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2012/2013 Mariinsky Ballet Season: General News, etc.

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#61 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:15 AM

I just saw on Facebook that Kondaurova is to dance all three swan lakes in Taipei. Hope Skorik is okay and uninjured. ....

Now this is absurd! If Mariinsky would be smart, they'd be quietly asking the once-again fit-and-strong Daria Pavlenko to rehearse Odette-Odile. Oh...and maybe also ask Lopatkina to dance her greatest role in Taipei. But that would make too much sense. (Duh!)

#62 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

Here's the link to the Mariinsky Taipei Tour. It does say that Kondaurova will be doing three O/Os.
http://www.mna.com.t....asp?eventID=40

And this is the link for their Cinderella, Novikova two performances and Shirinkina one.
http://www.mna.com.t....asp?eventID=41

Kondaurova is dancing a lot in Japan, two Gamzattis and one Nikiya, one Odette/Odile. Hope she won't get injured. And at the Mariinsky Theatre, Kolegova is crammed with a lot of performances.

#63 Bungalow Kev

Bungalow Kev

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hi Natalia,
Thank you so much for all the info about various productions, theatre renovations etc and the possibility/probability of Bolshoi and /or Mariinisky touring the USA in 2013. Really appreciate your knowledge and your "finger on the pulse" of it all. I'll check back with you and the ballet Alert calendar periodically.
Best Wishes
Kev

#64 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi Natalia,
When is the earliest that might we know if the Mariinsky and/or Bolshoi Ballet troupes will tour the USA in 2013?
Thanks!
Kev

Kev, thus far there are no concrete plans (of which I'm aware) for either company to tour the USA in 2013. The Bolshoi's big summer tour in '13 will be to London, at the ROH.

As for the Mariinsky possibly going to NYC or other US stop in summer 2013, the only rumblings have been about the Ratmansky Cinderella going to NYC (yawn...the same threadbare-scaffolding production that was in DC recently and in 2005).

My guess is that, should a Mariinsky Ballet appearance at the Lincoln Center Festival (or elsewhere in the US, in summer) come about, we will receive official word in the May 2013 timeframe...sometime after ABT-Met Season tickets have been sold and the ABT season well under way. Lincoln Center Festival is usually in the mid- to late-July timeframe.

Also, don't forget that summer 2013 will be the grand opening of the huge new Mariinsky II opera house, behind the old Mariinsky, in StP. I believe that all facets of the Mariinsky troupe (opera, ballet & symphony) will remain in their home town, in full-force, for the full White Nights season, except for a handful of appearances in Paris (Sacre du Printemps) and Salzburg in late May.

I heard the same thing directly from a company member that Mariinsky will tour NYC with Cinderella next year. But unlike engagements in other cities, MB always brings multiple programs to NYC, I hope it will be the same case for the upcoming tour if it comes to fruition.

Lincoln Center Festival usually announces the schedule around early to mid March, then pre-sale starts a week later, and general sale another week after.

#65 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Katya Kondaurova will be making her long awaited debut in "Raymonda" on December 5Posted Image! Her Jean de Brienne will be Yevgeny Ivanchenko Posted Image.

http://www.mariinsky...12/12/5/1_1900/

#66 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

and on the 6th, Andrei Yermakov will be dancing (alas with Kolegova). And looks like Mr.boss Fateev took away Raymonda from Novikova & Shlyarov on the 6th

#67 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

and on the 6th, Andrei Yermakov will be dancing (alas with Kolegova). And looks like Mr.boss Fateev took away Raymonda from Novikova & Shlyarov on the 6th

Was Novikova scheduled originally to dance Raymonda on the 6th? If so, that IS a shame. I think she is the best Raymonda currently. We'll probably see how Kondaurova does (probably pretty good). But Kolegova's name on the casting would never disappoint me either!!! She is good as Raymonda also!

#68 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I find the news about Schklyarov being removed as Jean de Brienne almost as sad as that of Novikova. Nothing against Kolegova and Yermakov, both capable soloists.

For all Yulia Stepanova fans: she finally gets a solo tutu role (well, a tutu in the Prologue!): Lilac Fairy in SB:
http://www.mariinsky...2/12/13/1_1900/

#69 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Stepanova will be wonderful as Lilac Fairy! Great news!

#70 Tara

Tara

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

I wish they would do something other than Cinderella. I'd have to make complicated travel plans to see them in NYC and I'm willing...but not for Cinderella. At least not this version anyway. Posted Image

#71 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

Keenan Kampa will debut as Kitri at the Mariinsky in January alongside Ermakov. As far as I know this will be her first principal role:

http://www.mariinsky...13/1/16/1_1900/

#72 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

I wish they would do something other than Cinderella. I'd have to make complicated travel plans to see them in NYC and I'm willing...but not for Cinderella. At least not this version anyway. Posted Image

Ditto

#73 Tara

Tara

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

Keenan Kampa will debut as Kitri at the Mariinsky in January alongside Ermakov. As far as I know this will be her first principal role:

http://www.mariinsky...13/1/16/1_1900/

WHAT? I'm certainly pulling for this girl but Kitri is about the last role I would give her at this stage of her development. Technical and style differences compared to lifelong Vaganova ballerinas aside- she has almost no stage presence- so how can she possibly pull off a Kitri? The Grand Pas...maybe...but the whole ballet? No way. Fateyev has gone from making me wonder/doubt to really making me want to Posted Image

#74 Tara

Tara

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

I am further confused at reading her Mariinsky site bio. When did she dance either the Raymonda or Bayadere grand pas? Any videos of these? And she danced lead in the full production of Slyphide too? I have neither heard nor seen a peep about of any of these performances and while I know Mariinsky Ballet is onstage practically everyday during main season is it even possible that in addition to the Swan Lake tour she has danced all of the roles as a company member ( or are they counting student performances that were done at the theater too ) in such short of a time? Something seems amiss :-/

#75 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Maybe some of the things listed were done in Boston? Like you, Tara, I am surprised. I am just trying to find an explanation. I don't remember her being cast in any of the items you mention at the Mariinsky but have only been reading their site regularly in recent times. But I think she danced in Boston before joining the Mariinsky. Maybe you are right, and they are counting student performances.

Kitri does seem like a big move for someone who just joined even if she did do some training at the Vaganova. It is almost like setting her up for huge criticism. You would think at this point she would be cast as the street dancer first and eventually let her try out a Kitri after lots of coaching.

I guess Fateyev is determined to turn the Mariinsky into an "international" style ballet company and doesn't believe that the Vaganova/Mariinsky style needs to be preserved. It does seem that strange decisions keep being made.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):