2012/2013 Mariinsky Ballet Season: General News, etc.

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#46 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

I will have to inform you that Oxana Skorik as a replacement to Somova will be debuting as Nikiya in Mariinsky's Japan tour.
http://japanarts.co....012/english.htm

Also, Ekaterina Osmolkina will be dancing O/O which is good news.

#47 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

I will have to inform you that Oxana Skorik as a replacement to Somova will be debuting as Nikiya in Mariinsky's Japan tour.

Also, Ekaterina Osmolkina will be dancing O/O which is good news.

GREAT for Osmolkina! re. Skorik's Nikiya: At least she is not opening the ballet, which opens the run - LOPATKINA is being resurrected again for tours, thank goodness. I guess that her Siberia & Baltics Tour will be finished by then.

However, I see that yet again Fateev gives Skorik the opening Swan Lake.

Happy to see that the Gala Performance will feature Batoeva & Nikitina, in addition to older favorites....but when on earth will the gorgeous and technically brilliant Stepanova be featured? All three are new Choryphees - Stepanova, Batoeva and Nikitina (as are Krasnokutskaya, Ivannikova & Romanchikov).

#48 alexaa1a

alexaa1a

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

Happy to see that the Gala Performance will feature Batoeva & Nikitina, in addition to older favorites....but when on earth will the gorgeous and technically brilliant Stepanova be featured? All three are new Choryphees - Stepanova, Batoeva and Nikitina.

Stepanova is too busy perfecting her new major role as Spanish dancer in black swan act.

#49 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

How disappointing that we in CA are missing Osmolkina's return to O/O!!! I'm thrilled for her though.

#50 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

Some more changes to the Mariinsky Japan tour following the injury of Osmolkina.

(well it is a mistake that Skorik is dancing Paquita in the Gala, in the Japanese version Lopatkina will be dancing Paquita)

Skorik replaces Osmolkina in Swan Lake November 29th, that means she will be dancing O/O three times in Japan. Elena Evseeva replaces Osmolkina as Gamzatti in La Bayadere. And Diana Vishneva will not be dancing in the Gala because of her schedule.

#51 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for this, naomikage! Indeed, the English version of the casting list shows a very odd Gala, with Skorik leading Paquita, and no mention of Lopatkina. Glad to hear that it's but a typo. We can assume that Osmolkina's participation in the Diana & Acteon PDD in that gala will also change; maybe Diana will become another role for Skorik? (Just joking...I hope I'm just joking!)

#52 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

Natalia, I think the Skorik instead of Lopatkina casting is a typo. Another typo is that in the Japanese version of the changed distribution it says Evseeva will be dancing Diana & Acteon.

#53 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

Thank God it is a typo. I can not imagine her dancing Paquita.

#54 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

; maybe Diana will become another role for Skorik? (Just joking...I hope I'm just joking!)

Skorik as Diana...? I better put on the little half moon tiara on and dancing it myself. I bet you will be getting a better show...

#55 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

[size=4]

; maybe Diana will become another role for Skorik? (Just joking...I hope I'm just joking!)

Skorik as Diana...? I better put on the little half moon tiara on and dancing it myself. I bet you will be getting a better show...

ITA with you both. Fateev's velcro management style is based on the "One Size Fits All" theory. Skoryk isn't ready for primetime. She's isn't ready for a Nikiya debut. She's isn't ready yet, and she shouldn't be the first O/O on shore ahead of the adults, namely, Uliana and Katya K. With Fateev, it doesn't matter what the results have been, what they are, (or what they will be). Win, place or show, it's his way or the highway.

Unfortunately for Oxana, she's been placed under tremendous pressure to deliver and she's not "there" yet. Plus this is happening to her at a time when the company is short on active Principals due to injury and pregnancies. She hasn't mastered her nerves, which adversely effects her technique (that which exists), and stagecraft. Therefore, for those two reasons alone she's isn't reliable enough (yet) to be a 1st Soloist; that's premature. At best she should be a coryphee, because that rank is where she's "at" right now. IMO the prudent career track for Oxana would be infrequent matinees with no opening nights; drastically diminished touring with intensive coaching until she begins to improve and develop an interpretation. After this, when she's at minimum sufficiently proficient, and has a record of proof in that respect, then she may be given more opportunities and move on to the next major role. You have to learn to walk before you can run. If Oxana remains below par, grab Dasha Pavlenko and reinstate her as O/O and Nikiya. Here's another option in addition to Pavlenko: Olesya Novikova. She's an impeccable 1st Soloist who not only deserves that rank - and better, but has been waiting patiently for her first follow up O/O following her debut with her home company. She also had to make her Nikiya debut with the Mikhailovsky in July 2011. She's overdue for a Mariinsky Nikiya debut. It's not that Fateev doesn't have a treasure trove of highly capable artists. That's not the problem; connect the dots.[/size]

#56 amiaow

amiaow

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

I just saw on Facebook that Kondaurova is to dance all three swan lakes in Taipei. Hope Skorik is okay and uninjured. There was no more information. Maybe someone with Russian connections could find out more?

#57 Bungalow Kev

Bungalow Kev

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hi Natalia,
When is the earliest that might we know if the Mariinsky and/or Bolshoi Ballet troupes will tour the USA in 2013?
Thanks!
Kev

#58 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Poor Big Red! I mean, I know we were all flabbergasted when it came to two seasons ago with ABT's male principal problem, but a ballet company like the Mariinsky shouldn't be running into a ballerina shortage.

On the home front it seems like same 2-3 soloists are doing the entire rep for this month while the "main" company is on tour. It's mind boggling.

#59 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

It does make one wince when one reads about the same ballerina for all three Swan Lakes in Taipei. Unless those performances are spaced in an unusual way...Sort of seems like a recipe for injury...

#60 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

Hi Natalia,
When is the earliest that might we know if the Mariinsky and/or Bolshoi Ballet troupes will tour the USA in 2013?
Thanks!
Kev

Kev, thus far there are no concrete plans (of which I'm aware) for either company to tour the USA in 2013. The Bolshoi's big summer tour in '13 will be to London, at the ROH.

As for the Mariinsky possibly going to NYC or other US stop in summer 2013, the only rumblings have been about the Ratmansky Cinderella going to NYC (yawn...the same threadbare-scaffolding production that was in DC recently and in 2005).

My guess is that, should a Mariinsky Ballet appearance at the Lincoln Center Festival (or elsewhere in the US, in summer) come about, we will receive official word in the May 2013 timeframe...sometime after ABT-Met Season tickets have been sold and the ABT season well under way. Lincoln Center Festival is usually in the mid- to late-July timeframe.

Also, don't forget that summer 2013 will be the grand opening of the huge new Mariinsky II opera house, behind the old Mariinsky, in StP. I believe that all facets of the Mariinsky troupe (opera, ballet & symphony) will remain in their home town, in full-force, for the full White Nights season, except for a handful of appearances in Paris (Sacre du Printemps) and Salzburg in late May.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):