2012/2013 Mariinsky Ballet Season: General News, etc.

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#316 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

Glad you had a good time.  Thanks for your reports.

#317 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

Glad you had a good time.  Thanks for your reports.

Thanks! Sorry I can not give exact technical details (not a dancer), but I try my best to describe what I saw. I had so much fun once again. 

And a tip to everyone:  Mamaliga restaurant (Caucasian food) behind the Kazan Cathedral is AMAZING!!! I discovered it last time and went several times on this trip. Do not pass up the opportunity to eat there. I think I have eaten there a total of 5 times altogether, and ever meal was to die for.......

#318 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

Upgraded to business class?  The ballet gods are smiling on you.   Glad you had a great trip.  

#319 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

Upgraded to business class?  The ballet gods are smiling on you.   Glad you had a great trip.  

Yes, I have NO IDEA how that happened. I was handing the guy my boarding pass and he stopped and started doing something in the computer and printed a new boarding pass for me and said I was upgraded. I was thrilled. The only other time such a thing happened was when the airline delayed a flight which caused me to miss a connecting flight to San Francisco and take a different, much later flight. And that made sense to upgrade then. This time was for absolutely no reason! It was like winning the lottery!!!! 

It was a good trip, and for anyone reading, I posted a topic under Everything Else ballet called "tidbits" to let you all know about side ballet things on the trip. But since they were not Mariinsky related I did not post here, but since St. Petersburg in general is sort of Mariinsky-related, I might have been able to post here. Not sure. 

#320 Kristen

Kristen

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Bart - Enjoyed your reports very much and will take a look at tidbits since St Petersburg has moved way up on my bucket list.  Upgrade on Air France and 8 ballets in a week - life doesn't get much better than that!

#321 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

Bart - Enjoyed your reports very much and will take a look at tidbits since St Petersburg has moved way up on my bucket list.  Upgrade on Air France and 8 ballets in a week - life doesn't get much better than that!

Thanks, Kristen! It was a great time!!!!

#322 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

Thanks also, Birdsall, for your reviews and your description of the city at another topic.

Now it's Official !

Olga Esina -- Guest Principal.

Brava !  flowers.gif  

(This news was unofficially posted by Catherine Pawlick at Critical Dance several days ago with a recent confirmation alert at the Mariinka forum)

I was really hoping that something like this would happen. For those who don't know, she is a Vaganova (Mariinsky school, more or less) graduate. She has been a First Soloist with the Vienna State Ballet since 2006. I've felt, since the first time that I saw her several years ago at a benefit gala, that she belongs at the Mariinsky.

I think that she is one of the most beautiful dancers today, and although I still feel that Svetlana Zakharova's Giselle at this year's Festival was possibly the finest performance of *Anything* that I've ever seen, Olga Esina's Swan Lake was possibly the Festival's *Most Beautiful*.

Added:

This news was apparently officially posted in russian before Catherine Pawlick's post of Aug. 4 (making her report official), but I didn't see it at the Mariinsky's english language site. 

#323 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Olga Esina dances the last act variation in the Mariinsky's commercially released Don Quixote (Novikova and Sarafanov). So I assume she was a member of the Mariinsky at one point and left for Vienna and now she is back. Someone who knows her history more, please correct me if I am wrong. 

#324 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

The strange thing is that the Mikhailovsky, for example, hires famous dancers like Marcelo Gomes and Polina Semionova as "Guest Principals" 

Meanwhile, the Mariinsky hires Olga Esina as "Guest Principal." Nothing against her. But why?

The Bolshoi hires famous David Hallberg to join the troupe. The Mariinsky hires Keenan Kampa to join its troupe. 

It makes sense to hire famous brand names to join as regular members or as "Guest Principals," but I think it is strange to hire non-famous people to supplement your troupe when there are so many good "home team" members waiting and able.......

Basically, big names probably help create interest and sell tickets. So hiring big names to make news sort of makes good business sense. Names that are not household names do not create sudden interest or more ticket sales. So what is the point when there are so many talented people already in the Mariinsky? 

It sure seems like the Bolshoi and the Mikhailovsky understand this. They hire BIG NAMES when they go outside of their troupe. The Mariinsky does not make sense in this respect. 

#325 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

You are absolutely correct, Birdsall. I didn't know this and overlooked it when posting the news. Olga Esina apparently did dance with the Mariinsky for a year or two before going to the Vienna State Ballet.

From the Mariinsky site again:

Olga Esina

"Graduated from the Vaganova Academy of Russian Ballet in 2004. Was invited to join the Mariinsky Ballet the same year, and has appeared at the Mariinsky Theatre as Odette-Odile (Swan Lake; choreography by Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov, revised version by Konstantin Sergeyev), Calliope (Apollo; choreography by George Balanchine), the Queen of the Dryads (Don Quixote; choreography by Alexander Gorsky) and the Lilac Fairy (The Sleeping Beauty; choreography by Marius Petipa, revised version by Konstantin Sergeyev)."

As for why the Mariinsky has made her a Guest Principal, not being one of the "famous brand names," she does have Mariinsky roots and they also have apparently found out how * Really Great She Really Is ! *.  flowers.gif  

Maybe she grew, maybe she was just overlooked. The Mariinsky has so much amazing talent that this can happen.

Added:

The site says that she "has appeared at the Mariinsky Theatre as Odette-Odile (Swan Lake....". Based on the secondary roles that they also list, I'm assuming that they mean this year's guest appearance at the Mariinsky Festival.

#326 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Yes, I now remember that she danced Swan Lake at this past festival. 

I guess a lot of the Mariinsky dancers who can't get promoted need to follow her lead and go dance in Vienna or Budapest or elsewhere and then come back as a guest principal. It might be the only way to get ahead at the Mariinsky nowadays. 

#327 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

According to Austrian press, Olga Esina was supposed to move to Bolshoi, but in February she had second thoughts and stayed in Vienna.

http://www.viennarev...es-centre-stage

After a regal guest performance at the Bolshoi Theatre in October, where she shone as the dark seductress Odile, Esina was invited to decamp permanently to Moscow. Esina initially accepted and provisionally announced her departure. Rumours of some emotional entanglement began circulating. But then in February, Esina had second thoughts and allowed herself to be persuaded to stay.

I have seen her performance a few times and she really has star quality, Vaganova-trained, very beautiful with solid technique. 

#328 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

The Mariinsky now has a Vaganova-trained dancer with seven years of experience dancing major roles in the kind of rep the Mariinsky is trying to bring into the company; of all the roles listed from her Wienerstaatsballett days, I count four classical roles, the Nureyev Odette/Odile, Paquita, Gamzatti in the Malakhov "La Bayadere," and Aurora in Peter Wright's "The Sleeping Beauty," although I'm not sure about the "Nutcracker."

• Manon (Manon; choreography by Kenneth MacMillan),
  • Juliet (Romeo and Juliet; choreography by John Cranko),
  • Odette-Odile (Swan Lake; choreography by Rudolf Nureyev),
  • Bella (Die Fledermaus; choreography by Roland Petit),
  • Anna Karenina (Anna Karenina; choreography by Boris Eifman),
  • “Paquita” Grand pas; choreography by Marius Petipa,
  • Gamzatti (La Bayadère; choreography by Vladimir Malakhov),
  • Maria (The Nutcracker; choreography by Gyula Harangozó),
  • Glow Stop; choreography by Jorma Elo,
  • Pas de deux from Slingerland; choreography by William Forsythe,
  • Titania (A Midsummer Night’s Dream; choreography by Jorma Elo),
  • Swanhilde (Coppélia; choreography by Gyula Harangozó),
  • Theme and Variations, Stravinsky Violin Concerto; choreography by George Balanchine,
  • Marie Antoinette (Marie Antoinette; choreography by Patrick de Bana),
  • Princess Aurora (The Sleeping Beauty; choreography by Peter Wright),
  • In the Night, Glass Pieces; choreography by Jerome Robbins,
  • Ada (Le Concours; choreography by Maurice Béjart),
  • and Bach Suite 3; choreography by John Neumeier.

http://www.mariinsky...aleriny/esina1/

Kampa did graduate from the Vaganova Academy and was hired as a Coryphee, but not until after she danced for a few years in the Boston Ballet.  I can't say why she was given that rank, although like Esina, she certainly has a lot of experience dancing works by Jorma Elo, because it's hard to say what Fateev is thinking.

According to Austrian press, Olga Esina was supposed to move to Bolshoi, but in February she had second thoughts and stayed in Vienna.

http://www.viennarev...es-centre-stage

I think any dancer thinking of joining the Bolshoi would have had second thoughts after January 2013.

#329 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

My thing is that Novikova, Osmolkina and Kolegova have a stronger Mariinsky repertoire (Esina doesn't have Giselle, Kitri or Nikiya in her rep from what I see, although those 3 have not danced all those either but each has danced some plus many other roles) and they have proven their loyalty (jumping in when cancellations have occurred). They are true team players and proven their worth. I think the Mariinsky is taking them for granted. All three are also willing to explore "new" repetoire. I would have preferred to see one of them move up to Principal status instead of hiring an outside person (even if Vaganova trained and originally at the Mariinsky) who jumps to the top of the heap. From the small little role I have seen Esina in (and granted it is several years ago that the DQ was taped) I do not think she compares to those three named above. They will probably never move up, and I find that tragic. 

Of course, maybe a Guest Principal is not paid as much as a regular principal since a "Guest Principal" does not dance constantly with the company. I have no idea. So maybe this is comparing apples and oranges. 

Before I left St. Petersburg, there were posters with Esina's face in the lobby of the Mariinsky treating her as if she were this huge star and in a tiny corner it said "Le Corsaire" with the date (her face was apparently more important than the ballet).......I have nothing against her, but it just seems strange to me when there are amazing dancers waiting for their chance. Of course, that is life. What can we do? I just feel it would make more sense if she were Semionova or Osipova or some other bigger name. Bringing people in to jump the queue and be a "star" seems to make more sense to me personally when the person is already a big star. It would also be less of a slap to the patient Mariinsky dancers. They would be able to placate themselves, "Well, it is Osipova who is world famous!" 

It may be that her "new" rep that she brings with her was attractive to Fateyev. No idea. It will be interesting to see how long she remains a "Guest Principal." 

#330 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

I wrote this at another forum about Olga Esina's Swan Lake at this year's Mariinsky Festival. It might be the longest description that I wrote. I hope that it's appropriate to post here. 

Olga Esina

"Swan Lake"

Possibly The Most *Beautiful* Performance That I've Seen At This Year's Festival

She Was Absolutely Lovely !

Her style is somewhat of a juxtaposing of 

**the Quietest, Yet Most Subtly Beautifully Dancing**

with magnificent, flexibly stretched-out 

**Highlighting That Often Attains The Sublime**

Her dancing contains large passages of quietness that are made absolutely compelling by their 

**Airy Fineness**

She has other exceptional qualities, such as the focus of her characterization, the way that she makes wonderfully crafted and exciting transitions from one dance 'phrase' to the next and the curvilinear way that her limbs reach out to create the most beautiful of tracery images.

She Is A Gem !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):