This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2012/2013 Mariinsky Ballet Season: General News, etc.

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#286 Renata Rodrigues

Renata Rodrigues

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

Renata Shakirova, 7th grade student, debuted as cupid. She and Olga Makarova are the two stars of the Tatiana udalenkova's class. They graduate in 2015.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=V6mAwjLiBSg

#287 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

Just back at my hotel after seeing Don Quixote at the Mariinsky. Elena Yevseyeva was wonderful as Kitri: temperament, lovely, the "wow" factor in her technical dancing, and a demeanor of complete confidence and having fun.

The video clip is a Treat, Mme. Hermine !  Thank you. 

It brings back some great memories. The performance that I saw, I felt, fit like a glove and these two were certainly one of the main reasons. My exact feelings were, " Wasn't She Lovely ! " -- "Wasn't he great. Weren't they all great."

It does almost seems like they are having fun with this, Birdsall, if such a thing is possible in such demanding works, and this is exactly how it should be. Elena Yevseyeva appears more relaxed as the video moves on, which is how I remember her. I do watch facial expression very carefully with theater glasses. 

Although I generally pay almost 100% attention  to the 'ballerina', Kim Kimin does grab my attention. Again, one of the things that I like about him is that even when he is doing his solo high bravura performing there seems to be a sense of modesty and propriety that is saying, "Now wait for the ballerina." With Elena Yevseyeva dancing Kitri, this is almost not necessary. 

In regard to the Hermitage Art Museum, Birdsall, I almost camp out there sometimes. It can be a great compliment to the ballet performances. Also you mentioned missing the Vaganova children at this performance. This is possibly my favorite thing to do in Saint Petersburg, or anywhere, watch the children. It's a great way to try to keep all of this in perspective. 

#288 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Romeo and Juliet! Wonderful! Osmolkina was like a blooming flower! Zuzin, Stepin, Smelalov....all wonderful!!! For me this was a dream cast! Amazing dancers....all of them! Sorry so short but I keep losing my connection and drunk and partying at a gay bar now! LOL

#289 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

The Vaganova students must be on break for the summer because they were no where to be seen tonight. Don Quixote's dream seems sparse without them. Missed them very much!!! It is so cute to see the young "kids" in that scene.

I saw a young girl today with an "I Was Born To Love" t-shirt. Maybe she was one of the vacationing Vaganova children, Birdsall, although California is a long way from St. Petersburg. Just as Precious anyway. flowers.gif

#290 tutu

tutu

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

#291 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

According to the video poster, the Basil is Kim, flanked by Ivankova and Lavrinenko (I'm not sure which is which.)  The Kitri is Evseeva. (Yevseeva?)

#292 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Yes, the poster is correct. Kim Kimin was Basilio. Yevseyeva (or your spelling) was Kitri. My eyesight is too bad to try to identify the two flower sellers (which is which) simply watching the video on my phone. I can't remember which was on which side of Kimin when I was watching live.

#293 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

My goodness what a contrast to the Keenan Kampa Kitri!  Yevseeva (sp?) makes all her steps look organic, as if she just made them up to go with the music as it plays, just for fun.  Charming, fast, and she kept her arms in beautiful positions!  I'm sure some technical experts will find fault, but the contrast in acting capacity is the size of the grand canyon.  

#294 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

My goodness what a contrast to the Keenan Kampa Kitri!  Yevseeva (sp?) makes all her steps look organic, as if she just made them up to go with the music as it plays, just for fun.  Charming, fast, and she kept her arms in beautiful positions!  I'm sure some technical experts will find fault, but the contrast in acting capacity is the size of the grand canyon.  

You are not not just talking about a contrast in acting capacity...Of course, Yevseyeva is a considerably more experienced dancer than Kampa. 

#295 Tiara

Tiara

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

According to the video poster, the Basil is Kim, flanked by Ivankova and Lavrinenko (I'm not sure which is which.)  The Kitri is Evseeva. (Yevseeva?)

As you look at the screen at the start of the video clip, Lavrinenko is on the right and Ivannikova is on the left of Kim.

#296 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

The return of Alina Somova after a one-year maternity leave has been accelerated! Originally announced for the July 31 GISELLE (which she will still essay), the Grand Return will be on July 21 as Medora in CORSAIRE-Jardin Animee as part of a mixed bill at the Mariinsky II.
http://www.mariinsky...13/7/21/3_1200/

This is a video of "Jardin Anime" with Somova and Ivannikova:
Jardin Anime

Does the complete Mariinsky "Corsaire" have set pieces on the floor like the Bolshoi's does? The stage patterns suggest not, but I don't want to compare it unfairly to the Bolsoi's version, which I much prefer, if this is different than the full version.

#297 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for the video, Helene. 

Alina Somova looks Lovely to me. I didn't recognize her at first. I think that, like Svetlana Zakharova, she may be another example of motherhood taking her artistry to a new level. She looks more settled in. She has always been capable of amazing beauty.

#298 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Just saw Le Corsaire tonight! No, Helene, the Mariinsky does not have set pieces. As enjoyable and exciting as the Bolshoi's reconstruction is (especially the Jardin Anime scene), the Mariinsky's has a delicacy and beauty like transported to a world of immense beauty.

My thoughts about tonight were sent to a friend, and I copy my first initial thoughts here too.

Ivanchenko was more "on" than usual. He looks thinner and has a little more energy. He gets a lot of criticism on this board but I think he is a good partner, tall, and tonight he was more involved than usual.

Kolegova was gorgeous as usual. What a beautiful woman and dancer! This woman could turn me straight! LOL

Yevseyeva was lovely. Lovely arms!
Stepin was a terrific Lankedem. He already has charisma and acting ability.
Shklyarov was very good as Ali. The audience went wild for him.
Smelalov made the most of his role (Birbanto).
Nikitina was one of the Odalisques. So graceful!
I recognized Xander Parrish in the lobby and said hello. Very nice person. Then, as I walked home I saw Timofeyev talking to someone on the street next to his car, and I nodded. I did not want to interrupt his conversation. This is the fun thing at the Mariinsky. You see dancers inside and outside of the theatre if you know their faces!

#299 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Another great night at the Mariinsky!
Kondaurova showed me she can soften her personality and look vulnerable. She had a very slight mishap when she kicked one of the flower hoops she was supposed to step into, but she showed confidence in this role. Korsuntsev was a stronger Conrad than Ivanchenko. Yevseyeva was fabulous once again as Gulnare. Kim Kimin made the crowd go wild.

I also went to the circus in St. Petersburg earlier today. The circus building looks like an opera house on the outside and the circus includes acrobatic/dance displays that made me think some girls not accepted to a ballet company might work for this circus. They had a Vaganova style upper body movement!

#300 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Sounds like the Big Apple Circus. I used to go each year to see Marie-Pierre Benac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):