2012/2013 Mariinsky Ballet Season: General News, etc.

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#256 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

A big debut this Wednesday: beautiful Arina Varentseva -- the female star of the most recent Vaganova Academy Class, 2012 -- debuts in the title role of La Sylphide. She has danced a few smaller solo roles this season but this is the first full-evening major role.

http://www.mariinsky...13/4/10/1_1900/

Edited to add: The debut just happened on the 3rd; Wednesday's performance will be the 2nd outing. Happy that Varentseva is getting her chances early & not made to wait like Batoeva, Stepanova and other 'home grown beauties' of late.

#257 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

In fact, she already debuted the role on April 3rd, and bits of it ended up on youtube:

On the channels of these two posters there is more.
(The 4 gorgeous sylphs are Ostreikovskaya, Batoeva, Tiliguzova and Ivannikova, according to the video descriptions)

#258 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thanks. Wow, she did not have to wait long for her 2nd try at the role. Lovely indeed!

#259 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hmm... I think we must be seeing her through very different eyes, Natalia - to me she looks quite shockingly unstylish.

#260 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,035 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

I wondered whether the music track was not in synch with the video track. It didn't look like Bournonville to me.

#261 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

She may be a lovely dancer, but Bournonville is a very specific style, and especially the Act 2 solos here are .... something else. I wonder who staged this?

#262 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

Have to agree with Alexandra.

#263 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

It's been in the rep since at least the mid 80's so I imagine there's been plenty of time for the Bournonville style to disintegrate regardless of who staged it originally.

#264 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:52 AM

It was staged ages ago (ca 1978) by Elsa M. Von Rosen (sp?). It has definitely disintegrated. I was referring to the beauty of the dancer, not the staging. ITA with everyone about the staging.

#265 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,035 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

The first video caption says "the tutoring" was by Gabriela Komleva and Andrei Batalov. I assume that means coaching, but who in Russia is in charge of re-staging? In North America, that generally is a Ballet Master, since the personal coaching concept is rare, but is anyone at the Mariinsky in charge of unifying the production after the leads ar coached individually, especially if there isn't an outside stager?

#266 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Back form St. Petersburg where I saw Sleeping Beauty, The Tale of Tsar Saltan (opera), Carmen Suite/Symphony in C, and Raymonda. I also managed to a get a last minute ticket to a ballet gala at the Hermitage Theatre....

Anastasia Kolegova was terrific!

Raymonda:.... I actually was won over by her [Maria Shirinkina].

Bart, I've been doing a bit of traveling myself and I'm just beginning to catch up.

Anastasia Kolegova -- I saw her twice in October performing Swan Lake and I have to agree that she 'is' terrific !

Maria Shirinkina -- She continues to surprise me each performance with her artistic growth. I'm very glad that you enjoyed her as much as you did. She has a wonderful gracefulness that is so her own and so beautiful. She is adaptable and she puts her own lovely stamp on everything that she does. I greatly look forward to seeing as much of her as possible.

#267 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

Back form St. Petersburg where I saw Sleeping Beauty, The Tale of Tsar Saltan (opera), Carmen Suite/Symphony in C, and Raymonda. I also managed to a get a last minute ticket to a ballet gala at the Hermitage Theatre....

Anastasia Kolegova was terrific!

Raymonda:.... I actually was won over by her [Maria Shirinkina].

Bart, I've been doing a bit of traveling myself and I'm just beginning to catch up.

Anastasia Kolegova -- I saw her twice in October performing Swan Lake and I have to agree that she 'is' terrific !

Maria Shirinkina -- She continues to surprise me each performance with her artistic growth. I'm very glad that you enjoyed her as much as you did. She has a wonderful gracefulness that is so her own and so beautiful. She is adaptable and she puts her own lovely stamp on everything that she does. I greatly look forward to seeing as much of her as possible.

Thanks for your comments. I hope Kolegova gets a Swan Lake when the Mariinsky tours in DC next season.

I suspect Shirinkina prepared the role of Raymonda long and hard. Her arms are really great.

#268 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for your review and your subsequent comments, Bart.

A few more quick thoughts about Maria Shirinkina.

I think that some posters here can remember first seeing her in NYC about six years ago. Like myself we all were taken by her lovely manner. For me, she had a beautiful Evgenia Obraztsova resemblance and such a sincere desire to do the best that she possibly could. She was lovable.

In the last two years or so she has become, in my mind, a mature, perfected artist.

I have to stretch my memory for a moment. Several years ago I saw the Mariinsky perform In The Night, probably in London, and Evgenia Obraztsova tore into a high energy and extremely effective interpretation. Maybe a year later, I saw Maria Shirinkina perform the same part. She shared the stage with some of the Mariinsky superstars and her performance was very 'low key' in their presence and in my recollections of Evgenia Obraztsova. Yet the *gentle loveliness* of it remains strongly in my memory.

By the way, she is also quite capable of high energy attack when it's appropriate.

This year at the Mariinsky Festival she performed in two George Balanchine works, Apollo and A Midsummer Night's Dream (the wonderful Act II Divertissement duet) and she was absolutely Beautiful. She was also, without a doubt, a totally mature artist capable of taking on most anything. Thus her apparent success with Raymonda comes as no surprise.

I've been to nine Mariinsky Festivals in a row and I've had the great pleasure of being able to attend the last eight gala receptions. At the last two I've tried to express what I've just written to Maria Shirinkina in my very limited russian. I think that I partially succeeded this year. I know that off stage discussions of the artists are not encouraged here, but in light of some of the current behind the scenes news I would at least like to say that I've had very brief discussions with many of the artists (primarily Mariinsky, but also Bolshoi) and they've invariably shown the artists to be some of the most humble and loveliest individuals that I've ever had the pleasure to speak with.

#269 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

Buddy, thanks for your insight into Shirinkina.

My initial hesitation with Shirinkina as Raymonda has nothing to do with her artistry. She does have great artistry. I just originally felt that her body type and youth were not right for Raymonda, since it is usually danced by Lopatkina, Tereshkina, Kolegova, Novikova (who might be closer to Shirinkina's body type) and recently Kondaurova. I don't know what the word in ballet is for this, but if it were opera and Raymonda were an opera, I would think Raymonda is a dramatic soprano role that usually goes to a very experienced soprano who has graduated to the most difficult roles in opera. My impression of Raymonda is that it is one of the hardest and longest roles for a ballerina, so I was just surprised that such a young and not quite experienced (fewer high profile major roles) dancer was getting a debut in Raymonda. I suspected she would dance it technically well, but it would be sort of like a soubrette opera singer like Sumi Jo singing Norma (Don't laugh people, she says Karajan wanted to record Norma with her in the title role) which is an eyebrow raiser. Sumi Jo would be able to sing every note correctly but she does not have the voice type that is right for Norma. Shirinkina's youth and body type made me think of her more like a Masha or possibly Aurora, but Raymonda seemed like a big stretch for her personality and type.

But, like I said, in the end she must have worked long and hard and she won me over and even had exciting moments. I think she was able to portray the first two acts wonderfully b/c Raymonda is an innocent, young princess. I think her final act variation (the famous clapping variation) was great, but if I can find any fault at all, I tend to like Raymonda to seem like a woman who has experienced danger and is now a woman of the world. So almost diva-like in that variation. I think this attitude might come to Shirinkina with time/experience. This was her debut and it was a wonderful debut. I said above that I think Kondaurova has the opposite problem. She is wonderful in the final variation but she is a woman of the world from the minute she makes her entrance. I don't buy Kondaurova as an innocent young girl actually, but I think she is great at the final variation. Kondaurova's Raymonda would have kicked Abderakhman's butt from here to kingdom come the minute he entered. LOL That is my personal take and opinion.

#270 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Some promotions of corps to coryphee happened today. A friend alerted me. I guess the most news-worthy item is that Kampa has been promoted to Coryphee. You can go to the Mariinsky's website and see the promotions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):