This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2012/2013 Mariinsky Ballet Season: General News, etc.

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#196 jsmu

jsmu

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Yes, I understood your raised eyebrow, Birdsall--and understood that you think of Shirinkina as an ingenue/soubrette. (I feel that neither the adjective 'lovely' nor the adjective 'beautiful'
could ever be applied to the abominable and psychotically ill-behaved Battle, whose career finally all but ended due to a) her dreadful, incompetent, and unprepared 'singing'
and b) her indescribable attitude--WELL documented, ad nauseam, all over the web and in reality.)
I am hoping you will find that Shirinkina has far more virtues than her coloratura, so to speak. Posted Image
You are so lucky to see Big Red (Kondaurova) in anything--although Bizet Adagio would be better, smile. Have heard great things about Osmolkina *and* Vasnetsova--
and Tsar Saltan is a very diverting and spicy rarity which I think you'll love....
I am sure everyone on the board is jealous of you seeing that Beauty, which should be sumptuous.

#197 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

She clearly has something Mariinsky Management wants.

Well, thank you, the admin, for deleting my response on "what the management wants" - whoever wants to find out - please send me a personal note
the 2nd part of my post is here 'a guest from a hostel i was staying attended a ballet for the 1st time ever in her life, and the only dancers she remembered from that performance were Street Dancer and Espada (Pavlenko & Sergeyev), she liked Basil (Ivanchenko) - the fact that a newby to ballet did not even notice Kitri was enough of description for me.'

#198 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

The girl was even surprised why the ballet is called Don Quixotte ;-)) where DQ has a non-dancing role, and then I asked her of the dancers, she said that she remembered and liked the married couple ;-)) and when i drilled her on the title role of Kitri, she said it did not register, the Basil she liked and remembered.

#199 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,470 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Official news only, please.

#200 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

[size=3][font=Arial', 'sans-serif]Also, i was lucky that i gambled and took that trip that i saw Novikova & Sarafanov at Mikhailovsky in Giselle (some staging & corpse are not as great as Mariinsky, but the duet was priceless), then Kondaurova and Korzuntsev in Bayadere, Lopatkina & Korzuntsev in Swan Lake, and Vishneva and Shklyarov in Romeo and Juliet. I adored Lopatkina in SL - the purpose of my trip. I saw 2 different white swans and a black swan. The conductor was "hurting" occasionally by slowing tempo, but there was enough of thoughtful and graceful Ms. Lopatkina to fill even the slowest tempo, and what musical phrasing, when it felt that it was her body and her "wings" that stroke musical cords. - total cure to the Orange county mis-casting.R&J had a star-stellar cast with Gergiev conducting. I learnt that some scenes/roles were cut when on tours. I don't recall the Juliet friend (magnificently danced by Osmolkina), or a jester (Grigory Popov) with his crue. And Mr. Ponomarev as Kapulette and Alexandra Gronskaya as Mrs. Kapulette, Ilya Kuznetsov – the best ever most vicious Tybalt, and Sergeev as Mercutio. Vishneva and Shklyarov were great, Shklyarov danced with such passion and abandonment. What a great trip and great ballet line-up. Thanks to all who helped it happen.[/font][/size]

#201 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yes, I understood your raised eyebrow, Birdsall--and understood that you think of Shirinkina as an ingenue/soubrette. (I feel that neither the adjective 'lovely' nor the adjective 'beautiful'
could ever be applied to the abominable and psychotically ill-behaved Battle, whose career finally all but ended due to a) her dreadful, incompetent, and unprepared 'singing'
and b) her indescribable attitude--WELL documented, ad nauseam, all over the web and in reality.)
I am hoping you will find that Shirinkina has far more virtues than her coloratura, so to speak. Posted Image
You are so lucky to see Big Red (Kondaurova) in anything--although Bizet Adagio would be better, smile. Have heard great things about Osmolkina *and* Vasnetsova--
and Tsar Saltan is a very diverting and spicy rarity which I think you'll love....
I am sure everyone on the board is jealous of you seeing that Beauty, which should be sumptuous.

Thanks, Jsmu! I am just now catching up on my reading. I somehow missed your comment. I am looking forward to seeing everything.

#202 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Birdsall: Looking forward to reading about the performances you attend.

#203 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Birdsall: Looking forward to reading about the performances you attend.

I will try to post while there but who knows if I will have the patience to type posts on my phone. I am an actual typist knowing home row keys, etc. so resorting to one finger punching on the iphone is sometimes annoying! LOL

#204 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

read on a russian forum that there will be a Romeo& Juliette broadcast on March 1st at [size="2"]http://mariinsky.tv[/size] enjoy

#205 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

read on a russian forum that there will be a Romeo& Juliette broadcast on March 1st at [size=2]http://mariinsky.tv[/size] enjoy

Thanks, YID. The Feb 28 & Mar 1 R&Js are being filmed for HD DVD release, as discussed earlier. Thank you for mentioning some of the additional castings. Osmolkina as Juliet's friend! Finally something else on DVD by this great artist...although I would have preferred seeing her Juliet. However, Vishneva is a principal and better-known name, so the casting for a big DVD release is understandable. It could have been worse (guess who).

The two R&Js mark the start of the Mariinsky Festival. Thank goodness, Saturday's Don Q will feature Evseeva (w/ Kim Kimin), not Kampa. Skorik will dance Dryad Queen.

The one program of the Festival where I would think that Kampa and Skorik would look their best -- the Forsythe triple bill -- does not feature them. 'Modernists' like Pavlenko and Novikova will be featured. (Skorik will be saving her evergies for Nikiya in Bayadere, later in the Festival.)

The Festival's Giselle will be Zakharova, with Lantratov (Bolshoi principals). Amazingly, Myrtha will not be danced by Kampa, who was given the role umpteen times this past fall; instead, Petushkova will be Myrtha.

YID, will you be catching Lopatkina's Titania in Midsummer Night's Dream?

#206 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

I have a hard time picturing Lopatkina as Titania. That role requires someone who can convey a sense of humor and warmth. I associate Lopatkina with an icy, dramatic stage presence.

#207 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Abatt, some great Titanias have been more of the regal-snooty variety, such as Calegari. She warmed up, somewhat, only during the pdd with the donkey. I'm guessing that Lopatkina would be more in the Calegari mold.

#208 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

I'm not sure about warmth, but Lopatkina can certainly be funny.

#209 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

The Mariinsky management has announced auditions for the Ballet due to vacancies, (thus far) undisclosed.
Auditions begin on March 29.
http://www.mariinsky...s2/19_230march/.

#210 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

have they ever done this before?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):