This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2012/2013 Mariinsky Ballet Season: General News, etc.

Osipova will be dancing with the Mariinsky in Carmen that week as well.

I think Vasiliev could be fantastic as the young man in Jeune Homme et La Mort...and I suppose "Death" is (dance-wise) not a bad role in which to return to the stage for Tereshkina.

Please forgive the extremely belated way in which I'm sidling into this thread...

Also of note is the very fast sudden rise of Viktoria Krasnokutskaya, who'll debut as the lead in Emeralds this July (unless she already did so and I missed it).

Krasnokutskaya danced the Violette Verdy role on the 8th of February this year, but I have a funny feeling that wasn't her debut either.

To me the surprise is Ivannikova. She danced Gulnara with Somova's Medora in tonight's Corsaire excerpt; and she was apparently going to debut in Diamonds on 7/7 -- but then, NOT a surprise, she was replaced by Skorik. Has there ever been a Mariinsky Jewels cast that actually made sense?

Are there any reports on Lopatkina in the Ratmansky Little Humpbacked Horse?

Well, she didn't do the eight double pirouettes in the Tsarevna's final variation. Five doubles, with a break in the middle... That's a matter of fact, the rest is personal taste.

Osipova will be dancing with the Mariinsky in Carmen that week as well.

I imagine many of us could write out this meditation ourselves, word for word...

Thanks, Shirabyoshi, for your preceding comments.

Could I also step back in time for a minute? I just looked very briefly at the video of Kim Kimin's debut as Siegfried in Swan Lake on May 19 with the Bolshoi's Anna Nikulina. I've liked him very much since the first moment that I saw him.

I really want to watch this more carefully. Anna Nikulina has beautiful qualities that I'd enjoy seeing much more of.

What I like so much about Kim Kimin is that he has remarkable bravura and virtuosity with an equally remarkable and powerful poetic presence and yet he never tries to steal the show. He is a fine partner who always keeps the attention focussed on his ballerina.

I wish them both much future success.

Added:

This video clip is posted above on this page.

Additional Added:

Not only does he direct all his attention to his partner, as artistically as possible he really seems to be cheering her on. From my limited observations of him, I think that this is totally sincere. Very fine qualities.

Just back at my hotel after seeing Don Quixote at the Mariinsky. Elena Yevseyeva was wonderful as Kitri: temperament, lovely, the "wow" factor in her technical dancing, and a demeanor of complete confidence and having fun.

Kim Kimin was very impressive. I do think he looks different than the rest of the company (and I am not talking about his being Korean), but he is impressive. He seems to change slight things to the choreography.

Sergeyev was amazing as Espada. Jaw dropping. He should be a Principal.

The disappointment was Kampa as Queen of the Dryads. She seemed so nervous and cautious as if she were scared to death. This was the exact opposite of Yevseyeva's confident Kitri. You just don't expect a deer in the headlights approach at the Mariinsky!

I was also surprised to see a fairly subdued Street Dancer. People have told me Pavlenko is a good dancer, but she almost seemed like she could be nursing an injury. When the Street Dancer lunges forward right before dancing between the knives she barely did a lunge at all.

The Vaganova students must be on break for the summer because they were no where to be seen tonight. Don Quixote's dream seems sparse without them. Missed them very much!!! It is so cute to see the young "kids" in that scene.

Romeo and Juliet tomorrow.

Too tired but will tell everyone about the Kschessinska exhibit at her mansion "Fouettes of Fate" and the Golovin exhibit at the Russian Museum when I get a chance.

Thanks, Birdsall. Hope that you enjoy everything that you see.

I thought that Elena Yevseyeva was Lovely as Kitri at this year's Mariinsky Festival. I'd never heard of her before and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Kim Kimin was her partner and was indeed "impressive."

(Birdsall, get over to the Hermitage Art Museum, if at all possible. Rembrandt, Leonardo and a Michelangelo second floor. French Impressionists and Post Impressionists third floor. Allow plenty of time to find your way around.)

Buddy, I went to the Hermitage last time and even though there was no way to see it all in one day I am doing all the things I wanted to do but didn't have time to do. I am sure I will re-visit the Hermitage on a future visit, because it is worth re-visiting!! I do appreciate the suggestion.

By the way, I took a boat ride along the Neva and some canals today, and the guide said if a person spent 2 minutes looking at everything in the Hermitage it would take you 8 years to see everything!!!! That made me laugh since this topic came up here!

Just back at my hotel after seeing Don Quixote at the Mariinsky. Elena Yevseyeva was wonderful as Kitri: temperament, lovely, the "wow" factor in her technical dancing, and a demeanor of complete confidence and having fun.

The video clip is a Treat, Mme. Hermine ! Thank you.
It brings back some great memories. The performance that I saw, I felt, fit like a glove and these two were certainly one of the main reasons. My exact feelings were, " Wasn't She Lovely ! " -- "Wasn't he great. Weren't they all great."
It does almost seems like they are having fun with this, Birdsall, if such a thing is possible in such demanding works, and this is exactly how it should be. Elena Yevseyeva appears more relaxed as the video moves on, which is how I remember her. I do watch facial expression very carefully with theater glasses.
Although I generally pay almost 100% attention to the 'ballerina', Kim Kimin does grab my attention. Again, one of the things that I like about him is that even when he is doing his solo high bravura performing there seems to be a sense of modesty and propriety that is saying, "Now wait for the ballerina." With Elena Yevseyeva dancing Kitri, this is almost not necessary.
In regard to the Hermitage Art Museum, Birdsall, I almost camp out there sometimes. It can be a great compliment to the ballet performances. Also you mentioned missing the Vaganova children at this performance. This is possibly my favorite thing to do in Saint Petersburg, or anywhere, watch the children. It's a great way to try to keep all of this in perspective.

Romeo and Juliet! Wonderful! Osmolkina was like a blooming flower! Zuzin, Stepin, Smelalov....all wonderful!!! For me this was a dream cast! Amazing dancers....all of them! Sorry so short but I keep losing my connection and drunk and partying at a gay bar now! LOL

The Vaganova students must be on break for the summer because they were no where to be seen tonight. Don Quixote's dream seems sparse without them. Missed them very much!!! It is so cute to see the young "kids" in that scene.

I saw a young girl today with an "I Was Born To Love" t-shirt. Maybe she was one of the vacationing Vaganova children, Birdsall, although California is a long way from St. Petersburg. Just as Precious anyway. flowers.gif

Yes, the poster is correct. Kim Kimin was Basilio. Yevseyeva (or your spelling) was Kitri. My eyesight is too bad to try to identify the two flower sellers (which is which) simply watching the video on my phone. I can't remember which was on which side of Kimin when I was watching live.

My goodness what a contrast to the Keenan Kampa Kitri! Yevseeva (sp?) makes all her steps look organic, as if she just made them up to go with the music as it plays, just for fun. Charming, fast, and she kept her arms in beautiful positions! I'm sure some technical experts will find fault, but the contrast in acting capacity is the size of the grand canyon.

My goodness what a contrast to the Keenan Kampa Kitri! Yevseeva (sp?) makes all her steps look organic, as if she just made them up to go with the music as it plays, just for fun. Charming, fast, and she kept her arms in beautiful positions! I'm sure some technical experts will find fault, but the contrast in acting capacity is the size of the grand canyon.

You are not not just talking about a contrast in acting capacity...Of course, Yevseyeva is a considerably more experienced dancer than Kampa.

According to the video poster, the Basil is Kim, flanked by Ivankova and Lavrinenko (I'm not sure which is which.) The Kitri is Evseeva. (Yevseeva?)

As you look at the screen at the start of the video clip, Lavrinenko is on the right and Ivannikova is on the left of Kim.

The return of Alina Somova after a one-year maternity leave has been accelerated! Originally announced for the July 31 GISELLE (which she will still essay), the Grand Return will be on July 21 as Medora in CORSAIRE-Jardin Animee as part of a mixed bill at the Mariinsky II.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill/2013/7/21/3_1200/

This is a video of "Jardin Anime" with Somova and Ivannikova:

Jardin Anime

Does the complete Mariinsky "Corsaire" have set pieces on the floor like the Bolshoi's does? The stage patterns suggest not, but I don't want to compare it unfairly to the Bolsoi's version, which I much prefer, if this is different than the full version.

Thanks for the video, Helene.

Alina Somova looks Lovely to me. I didn't recognize her at first. I think that, like Svetlana Zakharova, she may be another example of motherhood taking her artistry to a new level. She looks more settled in. She has always been capable of amazing beauty.

Just saw Le Corsaire tonight! No, Helene, the Mariinsky does not have set pieces. As enjoyable and exciting as the Bolshoi's reconstruction is (especially the Jardin Anime scene), the Mariinsky's has a delicacy and beauty like transported to a world of immense beauty.

My thoughts about tonight were sent to a friend, and I copy my first initial thoughts here too.

Ivanchenko was more "on" than usual. He looks thinner and has a little more energy. He gets a lot of criticism on this board but I think he is a good partner, tall, and tonight he was more involved than usual.

Kolegova was gorgeous as usual. What a beautiful woman and dancer! This woman could turn me straight! LOL

Yevseyeva was lovely. Lovely arms!

Stepin was a terrific Lankedem. He already has charisma and acting ability.

Shklyarov was very good as Ali. The audience went wild for him.

Smelalov made the most of his role (Birbanto).

Nikitina was one of the Odalisques. So graceful!

I recognized Xander Parrish in the lobby and said hello. Very nice person. Then, as I walked home I saw Timofeyev talking to someone on the street next to his car, and I nodded. I did not want to interrupt his conversation. This is the fun thing at the Mariinsky. You see dancers inside and outside of the theatre if you know their faces!

Another great night at the Mariinsky!

Kondaurova showed me she can soften her personality and look vulnerable. She had a very slight mishap when she kicked one of the flower hoops she was supposed to step into, but she showed confidence in this role. Korsuntsev was a stronger Conrad than Ivanchenko. Yevseyeva was fabulous once again as Gulnare. Kim Kimin made the crowd go wild.

I also went to the circus in St. Petersburg earlier today. The circus building looks like an opera house on the outside and the circus includes acrobatic/dance displays that made me think some girls not accepted to a ballet company might work for this circus. They had a Vaganova style upper body movement!