This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2012/2013 Mariinsky Ballet Season: General News, etc.

Holy crap. The Mariinsky has really lowered its standards. Look at Kampa's feet on pointe (when they remain on pointe in poses)...and non-Vag epaulement and port de bras.

The moment that says it all: the sets of grand jetes beginning at about 5:12 into the film -- first, Kitri (Kampa) floundering, then Dryad Queen (Vasnetsova) high and regal from beginning to end. Proof is definitely in the pudding.

To be honest, I kind of feel sorry for her.

Indeed. That she got into this situation is not her fault. Ditto all of the others who've been incorrectly pushed into starring roles by Fateev et al.

I should have mentioned it earlier but the Amour is wonderful, too. :)

To be honest, I kind of feel sorry for her.

Indeed. That she got into this situation is not her fault. Ditto all of the others who've been incorrectly pushed into starring roles by Fateev et al.

Agree with both comments.

And what makes me sadder even than the technical and stylistic deficiencies, obvious even to my inexpert eye, is the complete lack of joy in her dancing, here and in just about every other clip of her I've seen; she usually looks terrified. I keep going back to that delightful Novikova clip in post #102 for a palate freshener.

Loved the wonderful Espada.

More good news: Yulia Stepanova and Nadia Batoeva will be leaders in Rubies, on February 15yahoo.gif

Editing: Svetlana Ivanova will dance Giselle, on February 11.

If I'm dreaming please do not wake me up!!

The Mariinsky's site shows the casting you mention, and everything you mention is good news. Osmolkina and Kolegova are listed for Emeralds also, but the Diamonds casting is surprising b/c Skorik and Askerov are listed for Diamonds. I tend to think Stepanova or Kolegova would be much better in Diamonds and Skorik's issues would be less noticeable in Rubies. They need to flip flop the casts. I think she has actually danced Rubies before. Casting her in Rubies would help her be successful. Giving her Diamonds seems like yet another "throw her to the wolves" decision. The casting decisions are incredibly puzzling. The decisions seem to be made by someone who has no clue about casting!

Getting some Act 3 video posted now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkb-h4IfMjM

I want so badly to like this girl but .... her hands make me often cringe and she drop character way too often. It almost looks as if she is dancing with really long fingernails or something? It's just odd and looks large in proportion to the rest of her and then add in the tense nature of the way she places them. For me, it just doesn't work.

I will say she handled her Act 1 better and with more vim and vigor than I had expected. There was one very nice moment in her Act 2 variation but otherwise it was a disappointment and this Wedding Pas was so full of tension on her part that it was difficult to enjoy at all. Plus no tangible chemistry between them outside of the usual teamwork needed to complete a Pas. She was very fortunate that she had him as a partner too. He is better than a few "names" in that regard by a long shot. And bless his heart- the look he gives her at the end of the Pas. It's as if he is double checking that she is ok. Either physically or emotionally or both. I would not be the least bit surprised to learn he is a favored personality among the company men.

She has alot going for her as a dancer but this is just simply not the right rep or company for her to achieve her personal best, imho. I hope she moves onto somewhere else or at least gets some serious one on one coaching for those hands and arms.

editing to add: Just watch her Act 3 variation and coda. At least she made a nice show of the coda and looked so happy to get to relax and even show off a bit with the nice fan work. A nice way to end a rather shaky debut.

Any insider news on what we can expect next from her?