This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2012/2013 Mariinsky Ballet Season: General News, etc.

Thanks for this, naomikage! Indeed, the English version of the casting list shows a very odd Gala, with Skorik leading Paquita, and no mention of Lopatkina. Glad to hear that it's but a typo. We can assume that Osmolkina's participation in the Diana & Acteon PDD in that gala will also change; maybe Diana will become another role for Skorik? (Just joking...I hope I'm just joking!)

; maybe Diana will become another role for Skorik? (Just joking...I hope I'm just joking!)
Skorik as Diana...? I better put on the little half moon tiara on and dancing it myself. I bet you will be getting a better show...
ITA with you both. Fateev's velcro management style is based on the "One Size Fits All" theory. Skoryk isn't ready for primetime. She's isn't ready for a Nikiya debut. She's isn't ready yet, and she shouldn't be the first O/O on shore ahead of the adults, namely, Uliana and Katya K. With Fateev, it doesn't matter what the results have been, what they are, (or what they will be). Win, place or show, it's his way or the highway.

Unfortunately for Oxana, she's been placed under tremendous pressure to deliver and she's not "there" yet. Plus this is happening to her at a time when the company is short on active Principals due to injury and pregnancies. She hasn't mastered her nerves, which adversely effects her technique (that which exists), and stagecraft. Therefore, for those two reasons alone she's isn't reliable enough (yet) to be a 1st Soloist; that's premature. At best she should be a coryphee, because that rank is where she's "at" right now. IMO the prudent career track for Oxana would be infrequent matinees with no opening nights; drastically diminished touring with intensive coaching until she begins to improve and developan interpretation. After this, when she's at minimum sufficiently proficient, and has a record of proof in that respect, then she may be given more opportunities and move on to the next major role. You have to learn to walk before you can run. If Oxana remains below par, grab Dasha Pavlenko and reinstate her as O/O and Nikiya. Here's another option in addition to Pavlenko: Olesya Novikova. She's an impeccable 1st Soloist who not only deserves that rank - and better, but has been waiting patiently for her first follow up O/O following her debut with her home company. She also had to make her Nikiya debut with the Mikhailovsky in July 2011. She's overdue for a Mariinsky Nikiya debut. It's not that Fateev doesn't have a treasure trove of highly capable artists. That's not the problem; connect the dots.

Poor Big Red! I mean, I know we were all flabbergasted when it came to two seasons ago with ABT's male principal problem, but a ballet company like the Mariinsky shouldn't be running into a ballerina shortage.

On the home front it seems like same 2-3 soloists are doing the entire rep for this month while the "main" company is on tour. It's mind boggling.

Hi Natalia,

When is the earliest that might we know if the Mariinsky and/or Bolshoi Ballet troupes will tour the USA in 2013?

Thanks!

Kev

Kev, thus far there are no concrete plans (of which I'm aware) for either company to tour the USA in 2013. The Bolshoi's big summer tour in '13 will be to London, at the ROH.

As for the Mariinsky possibly going to NYC or other US stop in summer 2013, the only rumblings have been about the Ratmansky Cinderella going to NYC (yawn...the same threadbare-scaffolding production that was in DC recently and in 2005).

My guess is that, should a Mariinsky Ballet appearance at the Lincoln Center Festival (or elsewhere in the US, in summer) come about, we will receive official word in the May 2013 timeframe...sometime after ABT-Met Season tickets have been sold and the ABT season well under way. Lincoln Center Festival is usually in the mid- to late-July timeframe.

Also, don't forget that summer 2013 will be the grand opening of the huge new Mariinsky II opera house, behind the old Mariinsky, in StP. I believe that all facets of the Mariinsky troupe (opera, ballet & symphony) will remain in their home town, in full-force, for the full White Nights season, except for a handful of appearances in Paris (Sacre du Printemps) and Salzburg in late May.

I just saw on Facebook that Kondaurova is to dance all three swan lakes in Taipei. Hope Skorik is okay and uninjured. ....

Now this is absurd! If Mariinsky would be smart, they'd be quietly asking the once-again fit-and-strong Daria Pavlenko to rehearse Odette-Odile. Oh...and maybe also ask Lopatkina to dance her greatest role in Taipei. But that would make too much sense. (Duh!)

Here's the link to the Mariinsky Taipei Tour. It does say that Kondaurova will be doing three O/Os.

http://www.mna.com.tw/2012/events.asp?eventID=40

And this is the link for their Cinderella, Novikova two performances and Shirinkina one.

http://www.mna.com.tw/2012/events.asp?eventID=41

Kondaurova is dancing a lot in Japan, two Gamzattis and one Nikiya, one Odette/Odile. Hope she won't get injured. And at the Mariinsky Theatre, Kolegova is crammed with a lot of performances.

Hi Natalia,

Thank you so much for all the info about various productions, theatre renovations etc and the possibility/probability of Bolshoi and /or Mariinisky touring the USA in 2013. Really appreciate your knowledge and your "finger on the pulse" of it all. I'll check back with you and the ballet Alert calendar periodically.

Best Wishes

Kev

Hi Natalia,

When is the earliest that might we know if the Mariinsky and/or Bolshoi Ballet troupes will tour the USA in 2013?

Thanks!

Kev

Kev, thus far there are no concrete plans (of which I'm aware) for either company to tour the USA in 2013. The Bolshoi's big summer tour in '13 will be to London, at the ROH.

As for the Mariinsky possibly going to NYC or other US stop in summer 2013, the only rumblings have been about the Ratmansky Cinderella going to NYC (yawn...the same threadbare-scaffolding production that was in DC recently and in 2005).

My guess is that, should a Mariinsky Ballet appearance at the Lincoln Center Festival (or elsewhere in the US, in summer) come about, we will receive official word in the May 2013 timeframe...sometime after ABT-Met Season tickets have been sold and the ABT season well under way. Lincoln Center Festival is usually in the mid- to late-July timeframe.

Also, don't forget that summer 2013 will be the grand opening of the huge new Mariinsky II opera house, behind the old Mariinsky, in StP. I believe that all facets of the Mariinsky troupe (opera, ballet & symphony) will remain in their home town, in full-force, for the full White Nights season, except for a handful of appearances in Paris (Sacre du Printemps) and Salzburg in late May.

I heard the same thing directly from a company member that Mariinsky will tour NYC with Cinderella next year. But unlike engagements in other cities, MB always brings multiple programs to NYC, I hope it will be the same case for the upcoming tour if it comes to fruition.

Lincoln Center Festival usually announces the schedule around early to mid March, then pre-sale starts a week later, and general sale another week after.

and on the 6th, Andrei Yermakov will be dancing (alas with Kolegova). And looks like Mr.boss Fateev took away Raymonda from Novikova & Shlyarov on the 6th

Was Novikova scheduled originally to dance Raymonda on the 6th? If so, that IS a shame. I think she is the best Raymonda currently. We'll probably see how Kondaurova does (probably pretty good). But Kolegova's name on the casting would never disappoint me either!!! She is good as Raymonda also!

Keenan Kampa will debut as Kitri at the Mariinsky in January alongside Ermakov. As far as I know this will be her first principal role:

http://www.mariinsky...13/1/16/1_1900/

WHAT? I'm certainly pulling for this girl but Kitri is about the last role I would give her at this stage of her development. Technical and style differences compared to lifelong Vaganova ballerinas aside- she has almost no stage presence- so how can she possibly pull off a Kitri? The Grand Pas...maybe...but the whole ballet? No way. Fateyev has gone from making me wonder/doubt to really making me want to wallbash.gif

I am further confused at reading her Mariinsky site bio. When did she dance either the Raymonda or Bayadere grand pas? Any videos of these? And she danced lead in the full production of Slyphide too? I have neither heard nor seen a peep about of any of these performances and while I know Mariinsky Ballet is onstage practically everyday during main season is it even possible that in addition to the Swan Lake tour she has danced all of the roles as a company member ( or are they counting student performances that were done at the theater too ) in such short of a time? Something seems amiss :-/

Maybe some of the things listed were done in Boston? Like you, Tara, I am surprised. I am just trying to find an explanation. I don't remember her being cast in any of the items you mention at the Mariinsky but have only been reading their site regularly in recent times. But I think she danced in Boston before joining the Mariinsky. Maybe you are right, and they are counting student performances.

Kitri does seem like a big move for someone who just joined even if she did do some training at the Vaganova. It is almost like setting her up for huge criticism. You would think at this point she would be cast as the street dancer first and eventually let her try out a Kitri after lots of coaching.

I guess Fateyev is determined to turn the Mariinsky into an "international" style ballet company and doesn't believe that the Vaganova/Mariinsky style needs to be preserved. It does seem that strange decisions keep being made.