This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2012/2013 Mariinsky Ballet Season: General News, etc.

Late-October debuts scheduled (post-USA tour):

Keenan Kampa: Myrtha in Giselle (Oct 29, in full Act II at the Concert Hall) and Dryad Queen in DQ (Oct 28, main theater). Keenan is so new she's not even listed on the MT web's roster yet! (A Yuri Fateev record for rapid ascent?)

and, as prevously mentioned in the Daria Pavlenko thread, Dancer forum:

Daria Pavlenko debuts as Titania in Balanchine's Midsummer Night's Dream on Oct 27.

Ekaterina Osmolkina debuts in the Act II PDD in the same ballet, also Oct 27.

Skorik is also dancing Titania on Oct 26- I believe she only danced the PDD last season.

What may also be of interest, although not a debut, is a performance by Yulia Makhalina in the divertissements of September 27th, though I have been unable to find out what she is dancing!

Today seems to be "Promotions Day" at the Mariinsky. As others have pointed out on the Skorik and Ardani Tour threads, Oksana Skorik was promoted to 1st Soloist. Just a few minutes ago, no fewer than 3 corps ladies are elevated to Choryphee: Stepanova, Ivannikova and Krasnokutskaya. Maybe some men were also promoted? Kim Kimin continues as Trainee but he'll be dancing Basil on Don Q in StP while the tour is going on.

I know some fans who will be thrilled for Stepanova. This is overdue, even though she is relatively young.

Congrats to all. Skorik is so young, I hope she develops into her rank. When you think about how much you changed between 20 and 30, surely it is possible for her to change greatly. She has a lot of time, plenty of facility, and, clearly, support from the company. Is the promotion entirely justified? Probably not, but to do anything but hope for improvement is counterproductive.

And I burst out laughing at your pun, Cristian.

According to the book Vaganova Today (which probably many of you have read) the greatness of the Vaganova training (and Mariinsky Ballet) is that when dancers graduate from the Vaganova school they are usually complete artists and not unfinished ones who need to grow a lot in front of the paying public. Granted, that is probably the ideal......the ideal is that a Vaganova dancer graduates and is a complete artist and amazes even in the corps. I'm sure no one is perfect and mistakes are made even by Principals. I am sure famous stars like Vishneva have grown since graduation also, so there is a certain amount of growing. I guess my point is.....people do not want to go see unfinished artists finish their schooling in fairly big soloist roles. I hope she has grown and has become much better. If someone flies to Russia to see the Mariinsky, he/she expects to be blown away.

As I posted on the 'Skorik' thread, in response to Paul's query, Oksana is, so far, a very 'hot or cold' dancer. I have seen, in the space of three days, a poor Chopiniana (tight, barely smiling, hard landing thumps, unmusical) and a lovely Chopiniana (soft, smiling, in tune with music and her partner, poetic arms, etc.). That's why I refuse to place Oksana into the same 'Pot of Shame' as Somova.

Back to yesterday's big changes/roster updating:

In addition to the promotions -- confirmed 100% for Stepanova, Ivannikova, Krasnokutskaya & Romanchikov -- there are 16 new members (7 gals & 9 guys) of the corps de ballet, including the highly-praised-for-years Arina Varentseva and Ernest Latypov...so keep an eye out for them.

Departures:

The lovely young choryphee Evgenia Dolmatova is gone (to ???)

Corps members gone (retired or to other troupes): Lubkovskaya, Molkova, Yakovleva, Kulikov, Makarov, and Y. Safin (the twin brother of choryphee Kirill Safin).

Departures:

To Bayerische Staatsballett, as demi-soloist.

http://www.bayerisch...le~ballett.html

Good for her; in fine company with Sukorukova, Petina & Chaschegorov, fellow MT alumni!Thanks, bianca.

Tiara - you are not alone & I understand your pain, even though I'm still 'in limbo' about a final verdict on her. By Mariinsky standards, her ascent has been at the speed of light: 2nd soloist less than a year ago and now 1st soloist. Perhaps the words of the Mariinsky's 'interim AD' Yuri Fateev may shed light on the reasons for her quick promo:

"Opening night we have a very young girl. Her name is Oxana Skorik. She's very talented. She's an absolutely beautiful swan. If you think about the Queen of the Swans, she is absolutely the right person for doing that ballet, because she has beautiful long lines, long legs, long arms, a very long neck, and she looks like a real swan...."

Source: 'Essence of Swan' article in Orange County newspaper, Daily Pilot, 27 Sept 2012, author-Heather Youmans. Link- http://articles.dail...ake-swan-lake/2

Departures:

To Bayerische Staatsballett, as demi-soloist.

http://www.bayerisch...le~ballett.html

Good for her; in fine company with Sukorukova, Petina & Chaschegorov, fellow MT alumni!Thanks, bianca.

Tiara - you are not alone & I understand your pain, even though I'm still 'in limbo' about a final verdict on her. By Mariinsky standards, her ascent has been at the speed of light: 2nd soloist less than a year ago and now 1st soloist. Perhaps the words of the Mariinsky's 'interim AD' Yuri Fateev may shed light on the reasons for her quick promo:

"Opening night we have a very young girl. Her name is Oxana Skorik. She's very talented. She's an absolutely beautiful swan. If you think about the Queen of the Swans, she is absolutely the right person for doing that ballet, because she has beautiful long lines, long legs, long arms, a very long neck, and she looks like a real swan...."

Source: 'Essence of Swan' article in Orange County newspaper, Daily Pilot, 27 Sept 2012, author-Heather Youmans. Link- http://articles.dail...ake-swan-lake/2

Skorik's rapid promotion is bad enough, but also what about the First Soloist ballerinas she is depriving of roles? What about Osmolkina, Novikova and Kolegova? Kolegova at least is being given the chance to dance O/O on tour, but what about Osmolkina and Novikova? They are both wonderful ballerinas, both technically and artistically far superior to Oksana Skorik, but neither of them has danced this role recently. Golub is already woefully overlooked. I am very much afraid that Fateyev's favoured Oksana Skorik will go straight to the top of the list for debuts and chances in new ballets, and many wonderful ballerinas are going to be overlooked.

Something positive! Keenan Kampa is now listed on the MT website's roster. Despite rumors & Keenan's own statements in the current Dance Europe magazine, of being Choryphee, she joins the troupe as Corps de Ballet. This is so right, IMO. Like Stepanova and others recently promoted to Choryphee after 3+ yrs in the Mariinsky corps, I'm sure that Keenan will have great chances to earn her way to that status, with hard work...as so many other dancers still in the corps and overdue for promotion to choryphee, such as Batoeva and Keenan's own classmates at the Vaganova, Marchuk and Sodoleva.

http://www.mariinsky...let/kopsballet/

So there is a little justice in Mariinsky, especially that Batoeva was promoted, I've just noticed that.

Whoa! Bianca, that's new since an hour ago. The good news just keeps on comin'! (Although they still show Batoeva also in corps, too...maybe she's in purgatory? - just kidding!)

Fateev must be feeling like Santa Claus by now.

Who'll be next - Frolova or Brileva? Maybe Kim Kimin will be elevated from 'trainee' to full Corps de Ballet after having danced Basil, Bluebird, Ali, etc, etc.?

I will have to inform you that Oxana Skorik as a replacement to Somova will be debuting as Nikiya in Mariinsky's Japan tour.

http://japanarts.co....012/english.htm

Also, Ekaterina Osmolkina will be dancing O/O which is good news.

GREAT for Osmolkina! re. Skorik's Nikiya: At least she is not opening the ballet, which opens the run - LOPATKINA is being resurrected again for tours, thank goodness. I guess that her Siberia & Baltics Tour will be finished by then.

However, I see that yet again Fateev gives Skorik the opening Swan Lake.

Happy to see that the Gala Performance will feature Batoeva & Nikitina, in addition to older favorites....but when on earth will the gorgeous and technically brilliant Stepanova be featured? All three are new Choryphees - Stepanova, Batoeva and Nikitina (as are Krasnokutskaya, Ivannikova & Romanchikov).

Happy to see that the Gala Performance will feature Batoeva & Nikitina, in addition to older favorites....but when on earth will the gorgeous and technically brilliant Stepanova be featured? All three are new Choryphees - Stepanova, Batoeva and Nikitina.

Stepanova is too busy perfecting her new major role as Spanish dancer in black swan act.

Some more changes to the Mariinsky Japan tour following the injury of Osmolkina.

http://japanarts.co....012/english.htm

(well it is a mistake that Skorik is dancing Paquita in the Gala, in the Japanese version Lopatkina will be dancing Paquita)

Skorik replaces Osmolkina in Swan Lake November 29th, that means she will be dancing O/O three times in Japan. Elena Evseeva replaces Osmolkina as Gamzatti in La Bayadere. And Diana Vishneva will not be dancing in the Gala because of her schedule.