This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Dance Magazine Names Lifetime Achievement Award Winners

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

From the New York Times:

September 18, 2012, 5:23 pm
Dance Magazine Names Lifetime Achievement Award Winners
By DANIEL J. WAKIN

Dance Magazine has named the winners of its annual lifetime achievement awards. They are Julie Kent, a principal dancer at American Ballet Theater; Renee Robinson, a member of the Alvin Ailey company since 1981; the tap dancer Dianne Walker; and the former New York Times dance critic Anna Kisselgoff. The honors will be bestowed on Dec. 3 at the Ailey Citigroup Theater.

-------------

Congratulations to all!

I've been wondering if we'll soon be upon Julie Kent's retirement from ABT. Is this award a sign that the 2012-2013 season will be her last? She's always been one of my favorites - so lovely and such clean technique.

Renee Robinson is retiring at the end of this year from Alvin Ailey.

I'm not familiar with Dianne Walker.

Definitely miss Anna Kisselgoff's critiques!

#2 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

I was wondering when Renee Robinson would retire. I didn't see much (or any?) of her last season. I had thought that she might have been a candidate to take over the Ailey company after Jamison retired, but obviously that did not occur.

I too miss Kisselgoff's reviews.

Yes, there is definitely a big question mark as to when Kent will retire. She still seems to be going full steam ahead, and has given very strong performances in well-selected vehicles like Onegin.

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

Well, Darci Kistler got her DanceMagazine Award in 1992 and she danced for many years beyond that.

#4 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Walker is a wonderful tap artist, one of the major influences in the resurgence of the dance form. I'm thrilled that she's getting this recognition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):