• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

I asked about Vasiliev's Albrecht because for me that's the ultimate sign for a dancer to show that he/she has conquered the very essence of the art form. Just a few dancers-(male and female,past and present times)- have demonstrated such capability to convince in the romantic roles once the leaps and turns have been demonstrated full capacity. Perhaps Vasiliev is not there yet...? Perhaps he will never be..?

I keep thinking on the likes of Markova, Nureyev, Fonteyn, Alonso, Baryshnikov, Kirkland, etc...who eventually conquered such diversity...

#17 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

Aurora, you & I must have been posting at the same time!

#18 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Aurora/nyususan -

Yes, I do see where you're coming from absolutely (I've never seen Vasiliev with anyone but Osipova so my experience is more limited) and if Vasiliev turns out to be the soul mate partner for Part, I will be thrilled she found someone to dance with besides Cory (I think it would even be good for him to dance with someone like her-- I find he and Osipova too competitive together). But If anything, Vasiliev is more limited by emploi than Herman--though short, Herman has the lines of a prince, despite his height. Vasiliev is a much rougher dancer, though I am sure we will see him as Siegfried soon, whereas Herman does not dance it ABT. I could be proven totally wrong though!

#19 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

In the past, I've said of Vasiliev, "subtle he's not." And, really, not a lot of subtlety is required to dance Ali, though you need bravura technique to burn (and he has it). However, he genuinely surprised me last season with Solor. In addition to the bravura I expected, he brought a completely unanticipated sense of longing and frustration to the character in the second and third acts. When he chased after Nikiya at the end of the Shades scene he was a man utterly distraught. (His variation was also tinged with what looked like frenzy.) And in the dance with Gamzatti and Nikiya's ghost at the wedding, Solor was quite undone by his broken heart and by confusion and even horror over what was happening to him. Mind you, I've admired others in the role (particularly Marcelo) but Vasiliev was more than equal to its emotional challenges.

#20 Moonlily

Moonlily

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

His way of characterization is simply not my taste at all. It even bothers me in the role of Ali even though not so much is required. It is about personal preferences when it comes to such things I guess.
I also agree with the persons who said he appears as if he wants to show the difficulty of the movements. I also think that this contributes to me not liking his characterizations - it doesn't appear as if those movements are naturally a part of the characters, but something the dancer wants to show me. In some solos, that isn't as much of a problem as in other cases. My overall impression of him as a dancer makes me wonder how versatile his casting will end up being, and how much influence this all will have on the casting of other dancers.

#21 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

I'm going to chime in and agree with the posts that praised Vasiliev's acting as Solor in Bayadere this season. (I also saw his Spartacus a few years ago at the Kennedy Center, and he was riveting.) He is not a one-trick-pony. He can act and convey characterization, as proven by that performance. Maybe he is not ready or suitable for the full roster of princely roles, but it is not fair, either, to say that he should automatically be excluded from those roles. Obviously, to each his own. I would much rather go to Vasiliev performance than a Cory Stearns performance even though Stearns has the coveted princely body type.

#22 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

Ditto with me about his Solor, but I would still need to see his Albrecht, James, or even The Poet to give him a final grade-(not that he needs one anyway..Posted Image ). Nureyev, Baryshnikov, V.Vasiliev, Esquivel and Acosta are for me the complete packages. Same with the ballerinas I mentioned earlier.

#23 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Count me in the "like" camp for his Solar. He had a certain connectiveness to the role that I found appealing. I don't like him in everything, but then I don't necessarily need every dancer to be able to dance every role in the male rep. I too would like to see him dance with other dancers besides Osipova. Their pairing is at times so over the top. They cancel each other out. Someone mentioned they seemed to be competing all the time. I don't see him taking roles from Simkin either. They are so different. But I guess we'll have to wait and see. I worry more for Herman. And for others hoping to move up. But again, let's wait and see. And I wonder how Ratmansky will use him. Perhaps we'll see Vasiliev develop some new skills and abilities beyond his obvious technical prowess. And isn't that what growing as an artist is all about?

#24 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

This just came through on Twitter from Mikhailovsky:

Mikhailovsky theatre ‏@Mikhailovsky_en
Please note that the cast for 'Don Quixote' on September, 22 will be announced later, according to Ivan Vasiliev's health condition.

Does anybody know what this is about?

#25 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

Hopefully it's just a common cold but even that can keep someone at home.

Back to Solor and other Vasiliev interpretations. Even if Vasiliev may be the Lawrence Olivier of ballet, I simply cannot get past his poor line. This is classical ballet dancing and certain basic visual aesthetics should be met before one moves on to the next qualification for the noble, princely roles.

It's not the stature (shortness). It's the proportions and degree of muscularity. As I pointed out earlier, Simkin is short but he has the proportions of a noble.

Andrei Batalov of the Mariinsky had (has, if still active?) the same challenge with line and proportion. That doesn't take away from the joy that I experience when seeing Vasiliev or Batalov in demi-caractere bravura roles, such as Basil or the big PDDs like Flames of Paris or Pas d'Esclave.

#26 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

Saw Batalov dance in London a few weeks ago and he can still impress; heavy physique but still better proportioned than I. Vasiliev.

What happens with his performances with Mikhailovsky? They are rumoured to come to London in March, does anyone know if he is likely to appear with them?

Also what happens about Muntagirov? Will he continue to guest at ABT? Of course he is tall with a beautiful line but now his champion, Wayne Eagling, has been booted out of English National Ballet, there is a question mark over how likely he is to stay, particularly as he seems to have been filched from his regular partner Daria Klimentova to dance with his new boss Tamara Rojo. I suppose his future at ABT depends on whether or not the company operates a quota system where Russian male dancers are concerned, but I was very surprised by the negative comments about him here last season, does he dance less well with ABT or is he just unpopular there? Personally I am hoping that the Royal Ballet will snap him up as the male ranks are looking thin after the loss of Putrov and Polunin.

#27 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:42 AM

I thought Muntagirov danced very well at ABT in Swan Lake, but his lack of chemistry w. Dvorovenko was evident. It is difficult for a dancer to drop in for one or two shows with minimal rehearsal time and no prior relationship with a particular partner.

#28 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

I agree, abbatt! But at least Muntagirov has the physical line & noble bearing of a Solor or Siegfried. Between looks and chemistry, I can do without the chemistry if there is some gorgeous line to see. Of course, it would be better to have both qualities. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):