This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Kennedy Center Honors 2012 - Natalia Makarova honored

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#106 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

. Why would he focus on a few negative comments here, on a forum that isn't even read by the general public?

Well, BA is on the Internet. :) I wonder as well why these particular comments earned Kobborg's ire - surely there's harsher criticism out there - but it's nice to know he's reading BA. It was a big night for Cojocaru, of course. I was excited to see her, even if I didn't think she was shown to best effect.

#107 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

Since "On Your Toes" has come up on this thread, I thought I would mention that Encores at New York City Center will be presenting that musical May 8-12, 2013. Casting is not announced for Encores productions until a few weeks before the show, so there is presently no casting info.

#108 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

It seemed to me that Makarova showed little emotion, especially while watching the performances. Not a single smile. It made me think that she was unhappy with the whole event. But that's pure speculation.

I was watching with my daughter, who's a ballet dancer and teacher. Both of us agreed that Makarova was concentrating intently on the dancers' movements, style and interpretation. Her face was the same as my own when I study a dancer. I thought she was deeply invested in what she was seeing. I don't think she was unhappy at all. How could she be, even given her expertise and preferences, when the performances were so stellar?

That possibility had occurred to me, and I hope you're right. To this viewer, however, it seemed that her face was devoid of any emotion whatsoever, devoid of intensity as well. I don't want to speculate further because there are so many possibilities, but I'm going to watch the program again tomorrow in the light of the various comments above. I would not dismiss the possibility that she may have been unmoved by the performances, despite our own feelings about them.

I watched the performances again today, and feel much better. I did detect the flicker of a smile when the JKO student was dancing and then a broad smile at the end, during the curtain calls. So I do think that Makarova approved of the performances. Thank you BA-ers for sending me back for a replay.

#109 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

I watched the performances again today, and feel much better. I did detect the flicker of a smile when the JKO student was dancing and then a broad smile at the end, during the curtain calls. So I do think that Makarova approved of the performances. Thank you BA-ers for sending me back for a replay.

She just seemed less at ease/to less enjoy the whole event than some of the other recipients. I'm not sure it had anything to do with the performances (she seemed somewhat ill at ease throughout). Some people just feel awkward under this kind of circumstance even if they are pleased about it.

I have to say the guys from Led Zeppelin enjoyed themselves so much the entire time that it made me happy to be watching (and I'm not a particular fan).

#110 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Regarding Makarova's expression, it's been my observation, based on limited experience watching dance with dancers as well as just eavesdropping, that they often watch dance rather differently from fans, concentrating closely on technical matters, for example. Could she simply have been too absorbed to react much?

#111 annamicro

annamicro

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

. Why would he focus on a few negative comments here, on a forum that isn't even read by the general public?

Well, BA is on the Internet. Posted Image I wonder as well why these particular comments earned Kobborg's ire - surely there's harsher criticism out there - but it's nice to know he's reading BA. It was a big night for Cojocaru, of course. I was excited to see her, even if I didn't think she was shown to best effect.

My fault, I'm afraid: I was caught by him when laughing at your comments with a friend in another social network.
The cambrè at min 1:48 I think justify all the laughing and also his unability to resist to comment...

http://www.youtube.c...&v=bzqX-iNinMI#!

#112 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

http://www.youtube.c...&v=bzqX-iNinMI#!

Thanks for posting this -- I wasn't able to watch the telecast, and hadn't looked online for it yet.

Keeping in mind that we are seeing a fraction of what actually happened at the event, it seems to me that Makarova was watching like a professional: intently, thoughtfully, and respectfully.

These kinds of bits and pieces programs are always frustrating for people who know where the work comes from and how it should be contextualized, but I felt deeply sorry for Part -- the last one to enter and it's fouettes right off the bat. Yikes!

#113 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Another observation: It looked to me that Dustin Hoffman was being sweetly solicitous of Makarova, often glancing at her and at one point appeared to take her elbow. He seemed very much to appreciate who she was. I believe his first wife was a dancer so that might explain it.

#114 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

I noticed that, too, Barbara. Thank you for pointing that out.

#115 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Some of my favorite women in their 70s (e.g., Nancy Pelosi) look amazingly young, as does Makarova - barely a wrinkle or sag anywhere in their faces. It's possible they all just live very healthy lives and enjoy good genes, but there might be something else at work that makes it more difficult to show ordinary emotion in their faces. No insults intended of anyone . . . I'm just saying that there might be another explanation for her (relative) lack of visible emotional response in her face.

(Compare Makarova's unlined face with Baryshnikov's. He's 8 years younger than she!)

#116 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Some of my favorite women in their 70s (e.g., Nancy Pelosi) look amazingly young, as does Makarova - barely a wrinkle or sag anywhere in their faces. It's possible they all just live very healthy lives and enjoy good genes, but there might be something else at work that makes it more difficult to show ordinary emotion in their faces. No insults intended of anyone . . . I'm just saying that there might be another explanation for her (relative) lack of visible emotional response in her face.

(Compare Makarova's unlined face with Baryshnikov's. He's 8 years younger than she!)

That is a good point, tactfully put :)

I also wonder, based on not only this, but also on her interview on Letterman, whether her comprehension of English is perhaps not great when in high stress situations. Yes, I know she has been here for ages, but many people surround themselves with other people who speak their native language.
This does not, obviously, relate to her response to the dancing, but that seemed to me to just be intent watching. I just wondered if she didn't find the experience rather overwhelming, and perhaps not fully understand all of what was being said. I don't mean this as a critical statement at all. I just know that in high stress situations it is harder to understand what we might otherwise get easily in a one-on-one conversation.

#117 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

This shows her seemingly a lot more relaxed and having more fun than at the actual ceremony itself, for what that is worth (significance? she didn't enjoy it? she was overwhelmed? I don't know, but the photos are fun):

http://www.utsandieg...-center-honors/

#118 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

This shows her seemingly a lot more relaxed and having more fun than at the actual ceremony itself, for what that is worth (significance? she didn't enjoy it? she was overwhelmed? I don't know, but the photos are fun):

http://www.utsandieg...-center-honors/

These are wonderful photos, aurora! Thanks for posting them.

California, I noticed the beauty and agelessness of Makarova's face during the interview with Letterman. I think that you make a very good point, and, as aurora noted, tactfully put.

#119 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Here's the complete Kennedy Center Honor tribute for Natalia Makarova

#120 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

I seem to remember that people had the same observation about Suzanne Farrell's expression when she received her honor;someone asked me if she was angry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):