This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Kennedy Center Honors 2012 - Natalia Makarova honored

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 Kristen

Kristen

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Wonderful news and such a deserving recipient!

#2 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Brava! I hope that ABT and/or Mariinsky dancers will participate in the on-stage tribute. Posted Image And that it makes the telecast.
http://www.kennedy-c...levents/honors/

#3 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

I second that! And, great to see that they're honoring a dancer this year. I think a Swan Lake ppd (especially the Black Swan ppd) would be an appropriate on-stage tribute for Markarova.

#4 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

I second that! And, great to see that they're honoring a dancer this year. I think a Swan Lake ppd (especially the Black Swan ppd) would be an appropriate on-stage tribute for Markarova.

I agree...or Other Dances, which was created for Makarova & Baryshnikov by Robbins (the latter two being past KC Honorees).

#5 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

I agree...or Other Dances, which was created for Makarova & Baryshnikov by Robbins (the latter two being past KC Honorees).

Yes - that would be terrific too!

#6 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Wonderful news, indeed. Strange to see Buddy Guy and Led Zeppelin both honored in the same year, but maybe the idea is to highlight the connection.

#7 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Fantastic news and so richly desereved!

#8 AilinaDanceArchives

AilinaDanceArchives

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

Congratulations to Natalia for such a prestigious award! Her years of hardwork and dedication continue to be recognized by not just the ballet world!

#9 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:00 AM

Related to the KC Honors, some rather disturbing news about alleged bad behavior by KC Director Michael Kaiser, when speaking to the head of the National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts during a phone call:
http://nbclatino.com...rs-controversy/

Also - the NHLA subsequently demanded an apology from Kaiser:
http://news.yahoo.co...-101500153.html

The incident was reported on the 24th but this morning there is news that Kaiser has indeed apologized to the recipient of his nasty words (the president of the NHFA, Felix Sanchez). Just heard on CNN International so not sure how big is this news on US TV.

This is quite sad to me, as a Latina, because I've had nothing but admiration and respect for Mr. Kaiser in the past...great arts leader and huge balletomane to boot. The original issue -- that people of Latino heritage are being exclused from the KC Honors -- doesn't bother me as much as the way that Kaiser expressed himself on the phone. I would have expected more from the leader of a major arts institution.

By the way, in addition to Chita Rivera and Placido Domingo, the 2 Latino honorees cited in the articles, isn't Edward Villella also Hispanic/Latino? If so, the count is three -- not a huge count still but better than just two!

Sorry to place here - admins, please move to more appropriate thread, if there is a general thread on the KennCen Honors. I searched for a while but could not find. This was closest match in subject.

p.s. No disrespect to wonderful Makarova and all of the other honorees this year!

#10 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

i always thought villella was italian.

#11 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

Maybe. Hey, I always used to pronounce the name "Vi-ye-ya' as if it were Spanish. Little did I know. (ha-ha) And then he moved to Miami - the capital of Latin America. (wink)

#12 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

Congratulations to Natalia Makarova, whose career as a dancer, stager, and ambassador for ballet certainly merits this award. I love the idea of honoring distinguished immigrants from all parts of the world. They bring their talents to this country, succeed personally, and then use their talents and opportunities to enrich others everywhere.

Regarding the sub-topic of the relative lack of Latino representation among the KC's honorees, I agree that this is unfortunate and needs changing. In the wake of the telephone incident, I suspect that next year's list will have a better balance.

However, based on everything I've heard about Michael Kaiser, this incident is as untypical as it is bizarre. Losing control in such a manner is, for a public figure, unwise. Of course apologies are in order. As a former practicing historian,however, I would love, however, to know precisely what was being said by both parties immediately before this outburst. Context does matter, especially when it comes to understanding human behavior and judging it.

#13 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

However, based on everything I've heard about Michael Kaiser, this incident is as untypical as it is bizarre. Losing control in such a manner is, for a public figure, unwise. Of course apologies are in order. As a former practicing historian,however, I would love, however, to know precisely what was being said by both parties immediately before this outburst. Context does matter, especially when it comes to understanding human behavior and judging it.

As unfortunate and inappropriate as Kaiser's language was, I think it's understandable in that he felt he was being called a racist.

Kaiser told The Washington Post last week that he had felt upset during the conversation because he understood Sanchez to be insinuating that he is a racist.

#14 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

[size=3][size=4]David Hallberg's website indicates that he will be participating in the Dec 2 Kennedy Center Honors performance. I wonder what he will perform, and who his partner will be. Does anyone know?[/size][/size]

#15 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

If the ballet on view will be Other Dances, then Hallberg's likely partner will be Murphy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):