This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT in DC-Kennedy Center, spring 2013Mixed Bill and Corsaire

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

It's not my original idea, I must admit. I read it in a recent London review.

#32 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

. Julie Kent looked lovely but didn't have much to do.

I think that was part of the reason they revivied it - Give Kent something to do that's not very difficult. That's her only assignment for the KC Tour, since she does not do Le Corsaire anymore. I suspect the reason they are doing Month in The Country at the Met is to give Kent a relatively easy role to do.

Isn't that strange? I haven't seen Julie Kent dance in years but do have a ticket to see her in Month in The Country at the Met (she's not the reason I bought the ticket). Why do they keep her on if she is so limited that they have to find things for her to do?

According to the ABT website, unless there is another J. Kent in the company she is scheduled to take a turn at the lead in both Romeo and Juliet and Swan Lake in June.

#33 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

. Julie Kent looked lovely but didn't have much to do.

I think that was part of the reason they revivied it - Give Kent something to do that's not very difficult. That's her only assignment for the KC Tour, since she does not do Le Corsaire anymore. I suspect the reason they are doing Month in The Country at the Met is to give Kent a relatively easy role to do.

Isn't that strange? I haven't seen Julie Kent dance in years but do have a ticket to see her in Month in The Country at the Met (she's not the reason I bought the ticket). Why do they keep her on if she is so limited that they have to find things for her to do?

According to the ABT website, unless there is another J. Kent in the company she is scheduled to take a turn at the lead in both Romeo and Juliet and Swan Lake in June.

At the bottom of her dancer page on the ABT site there is a list of her scheduled performances for the Met season. She will also do Onegin and the second Ratmansky premiere:
http://www.abt.org/d...sp?Dancer_ID=23

#34 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Is the dress red or crimson? I sat so far away, I could not tell.

#35 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

It's not my original idea, I must admit. I read it in a recent London review.

Well, Abatt, thank you for sharing it with us. I imagine we'll see that name increasingly in the future.

#36 Meow

Meow

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

I thought the dress was a burnt-orange.

Alexandra, thank you for the interview. I think the problem may just be that I have been watching too much Evgenia Obraztsova on youtube.

#37 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Isn't crimson a shade of red? Anyway, it looked red (lighter than the Crimson Tides' uniforms) to me, but the bright lights bothered me (again) so perhaps Meow's impression is more accurate.

#38 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Isn't crimson a shade of red?

It is, but more one the blue side of red than yellow; the presence of yellow creates an orange cast.

#39 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Liked some aspects of the Ratmansky - clever steps and patterns in spots - but not the overall mish-mash of the work. Is it happy? Is it sad? What's up with the jester-like character?

Isn't the Shostakovich 9th both happy and sad? It was superficially written to celebrate the victory over Germany, but while the immediate threat of the Germans was removed, the specter of Stalin remained.

Despised the feckin'-ugly black/white costumes and somber lighting.

I liked the costumes. Perhaps because they reminded me of tie-died jeans.

#40 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

DC folks - how did Sarah Lane fare in Symphony in C? I know 4th movement is sometimes an overlooked part, but I recently saw a NYCB dancer struggle with it so much that it had an impact with the overall ballet.

#41 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

Alexandra, thank you for the interview. I think the problem may just be that I have been watching too much Evgenia Obraztsova on youtube.

:) (A very good way to spend one's time IMHO.)

#42 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

YouOverThere -- The Shostakovich is happy and sad, I think, which is one of the things that made the ballet so interesting, for me.

vipa, I liked Sarah Lane very much in "Symphony in C" and thought her dancing quite strong. I thought she made it as important a movement as any of the others, which one doesn't often see.

i'm glad so many people went to the mixed bill! I'm looking forward to reading you all on "Le Corsaire" as well. (And more on the mixed bill too, of course!)

#43 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

YouOverThere -- The Shostakovich is happy and sad, I think, which is one of the things that made the ballet so interesting, for me.

Correct...but, to me, it is SO UGLY, whether its the rat-tat-tat snare drums 'happy' or the 'sad' oboe/clarinet theme. I've now seen this ballet four times and realized the cause of my headaches (yes - real headaches). It has such ugly, unromantic sounds. I wouldn't torture my dog listening to this. Shostakovich's 2nd Piano Concert, Lady & the Hooligan, and parts of Bright Stream are dancey/romantic. Melodious/dancey/romantic just happens to be my cup of tea.

All of the melodious tunes on this earth, from wonderful composers, and Ratmansky has a fixation with late Shostakovich? I can't even get into the choreography -- which has wonderful moments -- because of the torture of noise. The ugliness of the costumes was just 'the cherry on top of the sundae,' so to speak. Posted Image

Total opposite of two new ballets that I love:

Wheeldon's Les Carillons, to Bizet's gorgeous L'Arlesiane Suites and
Tomasson's Triad, to Tchaikovsky's Souvenir de Florence

Now THOSE are new grand ballets - sweeping, colorful, romantic, magnificent. They do not induce illness, as does Symphony no. 9. Sorry, I refuse to drink more of the Rat Man's Shostakovich Kool-aid.

Can somebody please explainthe ugly costumes, none of which matched? They're almost as bad as the 'gypsy corps' outfits in Ratmansky's Little Humpbacked Horse. Not merely bland - TRULY UGLY.

Finally - Who was the 'brilliant mind' who came up with opening a triple bill with the most beautiful, large-scale and upbeat ballet (Symphony in C) and ending it with the Ratmansky? That, my friends, is horrible programming/bad balance in a triple bill. This must be the first time I've seen Symphony in C not end a program.

p.s. - Vipa - I second Alexandra's take on Lane, who was very sharp -- especially a spot-on final pirouette move that ends her solo portion (the fouette into a double-pirouette, then down to knee...very hard to perform so sharply). Brava!

#44 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

In "No. 9", what does the rest of the cast, especially the main couple, do at the end while the single character (Jared, Herman) does the tours a la second? Are they left on stage?

#45 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

I'm sorry, puppytreats. I missed your post. My memory is that everyone leaves, and the male soloist spins alone.

And p.s. I would not be the first to say that Shostakovich is one of the major 20th century composers and that this is a beautiful score Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):