I missed both the performance and you, bart..! Posted Image

#107 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Cristian, I wish you had been there. Being so close to the dancers is a privilege, I think, and makes me appreciate even more how difficult it is for them to make what they do look smooth, seemless, and "easy." Everyone somehow seems relaxed and at home, even though the formalities of performance are not ignored. I will never forget Mary Carmen Catoya in the brief q&a -- breaking into a huge, irresistible smile as she patted herself on her chest and said, "You feel it here. In the HEART" "

There are no assigned seats, so it's possible to get in the first row (at the level of the floor) if you get there early. Maybe next time?

#108 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,217 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

There are no assigned seats, so it's possible to get in the first row (at the level of the floor) if you get there early. Maybe next time?

Yes...the visuals are completely diferent there at floor level. I wish Reyes would had been able to perform in Apollo. He has the handsome look needed.

#109 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Reyes seemed tentative but his partnering was secure. They did only the pas de deux. Presuming that he has recovered from his injury, he might get a chance to dance the complete ballet in West Palm.

I have been thinking, "MCB has quite a few Muses, but I'm less sure about Apollo." Wouldn't it be nice of if Reyes proved me wrong."

#110 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

... I will never forget Mary Carmen Catoya in the brief q&a -- breaking into a huge, irresistible smile as she patted herself on her chest and said, "You feel it here. In the HEART"

I hope that you also remember what "q" provoked that - heartfelt - remark (sorry for the pun, I couldn't resist, the lady's name has levitating associations for my spirits), and that you can share it with us.

#111 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

Sorry, Jack, but I don't recall the question. I THINK it was something about what it feels like to dance Balanchine, but I might be misremembering.

#112 brokenwing

brokenwing

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

Looks like MCB got the $5 mil grant from the Knights Arts Foundation that many were skeptical about post-Villella. This is wonderful news, and it appears that Lourdes must be on the right track.

http://www.knightart...h-south-florida

#113 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Great news, brokenwing. I note that the grant is for increasing outreach and adding new works, including new commisions.

Related to that, Liam Scarlett -- in town to create his new, ballet, which will be on Program II -- joined the pre-performance talks at all performances in West Palm. He said that it would be a program-closer, a "bigger" work than Viscera. The music will be another piano concerto by Lowell Lieberman. No word on the title.

MCB should be proud that Viscera, a ballet created for and premiered by them, has now entered the rep of the Royal Ballet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):