8 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Noa Erlitzki of Israel will study at the Perm State Choreographic College.

While Erlitzki is excited about her impending trip, her family, particularly her grandparents who remain in Israel, expressed surprise that she would choose to study in Russia, long inhospitable to Jews. “It’s hard for them,” Erlitzki admitted. “It is a strange and unique thing for an Israeli to be doing. Unfortunately, sometimes [there are] stereotypes between Israelis and Russians.”

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Q&A with Keenan Kampa.

Given the history, it’s such an achievement for you to be the first American to join the Mariinsky. What does it take for an American dancer to succeed in a Russian company?

The way I’ve had to approach it so far is just knowing what exactly I’m walking into — the history, what a treasure it is, and just the incredible artists who are there and have danced there. I’m just in complete awe of it, and I know going in there I want to be completely respectful. I want to soak everything in and keep focus and just work as hard as I can and get as much out of it and not waste a second. It’s just such a huge honor. I’m very aware of what an honor it is and how much they stuck their neck out to bring me there.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

The Joffrey seeks applications for its Third Annual Choreographers of Color Award.

The deadline for application is Sept. 1; winners will be notified by Oct. 1. Three selected choreographers will be given a minimum of 30 rehearsal hours to set their pieces with the Joffrey Academy trainees. Each winning choreographer will also receive a $2,500 stipend and an opportunity to work directly with Joffrey Academy artistic directors Alexei Kremnev and Anna Reznik.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Gwinnett Ballet Theatre holds an open house to show off its new digs.

There will also be opportunities to meet GBT dancers, staff, teachers, parents, and board of directors members, win “Nutcracker” tickets, and sign up for dance classes. Refreshments will be served.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

A feature on Alexey Kulpin of Charleston Ballet Theatre.

Walk on the dark side. Since moving to the U.S., Kulpin has been challenged to break out of the classical mold and try more contemporary pieces, which he says he enjoys. To start the 2012 fall season at the CBT, he's playing the lead role in Dracula, a challenge he says he's a little nervous about. "My vision of Dracula is this tall guy, long hair, very powerful and mean looking. I'm a little bit different than this," he says. "My favorite ballet was Where the Wild Things Are. It was a children's book. But Dracula? I would never think I would do something like this."

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

The Hamburg State Opera, Hamburg Philharmonic Orchestra, and the Hamburg Ballet visit Australia for the first time. Radio story with audio file.

Called The Hamburg Season, the tour brings acclaimed Australian conductor Simone Young, the General Manager and Music Director of the Hamburg State Opera and Music Director of the Hamburg Philharmonic Orchestra back to Brisbane:

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

Olivia Bell and Adam Bull of the Australian Ballet will be featured on a new coin in celebration of the company's fiftieth anniversary.

Two versions of the highly detailed coin, created by Royal Australian Mint designer Aaron Baggio, will be available for collecting. One will sell for $9 and the other for about $80.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

Dance Theatre of Harlem will perform in Martha's Vineyard.

The 18 dancers have been working for the past two weeks with two choreographers at the Vineyard Arts Project (VAP), a dance and theater residency located on Upper Main Street in Edgartown, to develop two new works for the company repertoire. This Friday and Saturday, Aug. 24 and 25, audiences will get a glimpse of the works in progress when excerpts will be presented at public performances at VAP's state-of-the-art dance studio.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

Jeremy Trahan is appointed as the inaugural chairman of the board of trustees of the just-formed Dayton Performing Arts Alliance. Item in brief.

The alliance is a merger of the Dayton Ballet, Dayton Opera and Dayton Philharmonic. Trahan focuses his legal work with the Corporate Transactions & Securities practice group at Thompson Hine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):