• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

Second post in my "etymology of ballet terms" series: http://toursenlair.b...rd-fouette.html

#2 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

Fascinating. Didn't know about the beech saplings (fouets). I did know that fouette is connected with "whipped," but have to confess that I associate this with a non-ballet mental image of Julia Child maniacally beating up a meringue or a souffle in a metal bowl cradled in her arm. Posted Image Posted Image

I don't recall seeing anything like way Valdes places her 3 sets of multiple pirouettes. She interrupts them with simple but strong single fouettes. Each of the pirouette sequences reflects (or is reflected by) a change in music. This is rather an austere combination, which makes it even more exciting.

Some Odiles may be flashier, but this is the only one I would actually be afraid of, if I came across her whipping down a dark street late at night.

#3 Moonlily

Moonlily

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

Some Odiles may be flashier, but this is the only one I would actually be afraid of, if I came across her whipping down a dark street late at night.

What a nice...eh, frightening image! :) But it is exactly that kind of feeling.

Thank you again, kbarber, for the very insightful explanation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):