#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

An interview with Darcey Bussell.

“The hardest thing about being a ballet dancer was the commitment. I always took my work home with me. I’d practise six, and perform four, days a week. It’s not a job you can do half-heartedly. It’s a passion. It wasn’t until I had children that I realised the importance of making time for me.”

She is quick to brush off rumours she suffered depression after leaving the Royal Ballet as just a low point, and credits her children with showing her that retirement didn’t mean the end. “They have helped me have a life outside of ballet. When you live and breathe something it’s easy to get blinkered..."

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

A story on the appointment of Aurelien Scannella to lead West Australian Ballet.

He replaces Cavallari, an Italian dancer and choreographer who started with the WA Ballet in 2007. Cavallari is leaving to take the helm of French company Ballet du Rhin.

His tenure saw an increase in the number of dancers at the WA Ballet, which is celebrating its 60th anniversary, as well as its move in April to a new ballet centre in Maylands.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

Zimbabwe's National Ballet Centre undergoes renovations and repairs.

Upcoming and established dancers that use the National Ballet Centre got a reprieve when the dance venue, which collapsed in October last year, went through renovations to prepare for the resumption of shows and classes.

The roof of the centre collapsed, leaving it unsafe and unusable. The structural fault that caused the collapse was only discovered when experts in the roofing field examined the building and recommended for renovations that cost US$250 000.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

The National Ballet of China will present "The Little Mermaid." Item in brief.

It's the first time the celebrated dancer and choreographer has worked with the ballet to direct a show and design the stage. Two years in the making, the show is the most costly production to date for the troupe.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

A preview of the Chicago Dancing Festival by Elysabeth Alfano in The Huffington Post.

If attendance numbers indicate success, the Chicago Dance Festival is a doozie. Last year 18,000 people attended and more are expected this year. "Audiences and venues each have different personalities," described Ms. Eilber. "With what the dancers felt coming from the audience at last year's finale performance, we could have blown the roof off!"

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Ballet Manila kicks off its seventeenth season this month.

Alamat: Si Sibol at Si Gunaw first went onstage in 2009 and was watched by some 30,000 people in 12 consecutive full-house performances at the Aliw Theater. It is based on the children’s book by Palanca hall of fame awardee and STAR columnist Ed Maranan, published by Bookmark with illustrations by Ronaela B. Maranan.

Alamat is a call to nurture the environment as told through dance, music and special effects, making it both a timely and entertaining treat for the whole family,” describes Lisa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):